Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP What do I do about my forthcoming trip (in two months) to the Swiss Alps ? ? ? ?

Search

HELP What do I do about my forthcoming trip (in two months) to the Swiss Alps ? ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 05:23 AM
Falcon

I have just heard that this weekend the Swiss will vote to limit the number of foreigners to 18%!!!! The current number is about 20%. This referendum has mass public support even though it is not supported by the political parties. If accepted many foreigners will clearly have to leave very quickly. <BR> <BR>Will tourists and temporary visitors be affected too? If yes would anyone know if there be any way for me as a temporary visitor to claim any kind of exemption ? I cannot get a refund on my ticket and I was so looking forward to this vacation. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 05:47 AM
Ed

This vote is on the issue of foreign workers, not tourists. Presuming you're coming as a tourist there's no need to worry. <BR> <BR>Referenda on this issue are held every few years in Switzerland. While I know of no country more welcoming of tourists, they're xenophobes at heart. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 07:53 AM
wiesendanger bruno

Hi Falcon <BR> <BR>as Ed is mentioning: the referendum doesn`t concern the tourists. The referendum wants to reduce the percentage of foreigners living here in Switzerland. So dont worry and have a nice trip in Switzerland <BR>Bruno

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 08:03 AM
Bob Brown

The Swiss will do nothing to injure the tourist trade! They make way too much money off of it. I have only had one experience where I thought some Swiss ticket agent was out of line. The jerk refused to see me a ticket! That was a new experience, really. Has anybody ever run into that before? I asked for a ticket from Interlaken West to Vienna, even had my schedule written out, and the guy told me he didn't have time to make the sale. (I was in Lauterbrunnen at the time.) I was so dumbfounded I couldn't even think of a complaint. I simply waited a few minutes and got them from another agent.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:53 AM
Florence

Tourists and temporary visitors should not worry about Swiss politics. <BR> <BR>I'm French living in Switzerland but I don't worry too much about this vote. <BR>It doesn't involve throwing anybody out, but letting foreigners voluntary leave until the wanted 18% is reached, then not letting new ones enter. Obviously, those of us who hold jobs, own houses, have kids at school will just not leave. <BR>Swiss economy would never recover from the loss of too many foreigners in tourism, building, health, banking, computer, insurance, etc, and the economic powers that be will certainly find a way around such a stupid piece of legislation. Anyway, should the vote pass, there's going to be such an outcry from other European countries that the Swiss government will argue and wait forever until they actually apply the plan, and there's not one bureaucracy in the world that can delay things like the Swiss. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't call the Swiss xenophobe, they just think they live on an island in the middle of decaying Europe. <BR> <BR>Bob, I heard many tales like yours: usual behaviour of a bureaucrate minutes away from going back home and wanting to clean his desk.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 10:43 AM
Bob Brown

Well, I got in the last "dig" in that little encounter. For the last 3 summers I have rented the same apartment in Lauterbrunnen, so I have gotten to know some of the people. One person I met is a local railroad official -- suit and tie type of position. I told him about my experience, and he said he would follow up on it. He was a little unhappy about my story. And I had talked to him before purchasing my ticket. I guess what irked me was when the guy printed out a schedule, which I already had down to the train number (e.g. IC 161, the Maria Theresa, to Salzburg), handed it to me, and said "What's your problem?" in English. <BR>I said I needed to buy tickets. He said, "I have to sell tickets to Wengen now." <BR>My apartment landlady said it had been a very busy summer at the train station and he was probably burned out and did not want to fool with a multipart ticket. I take it those agents who sell tickets do not work on a commission. <BR>At any rate, I elected to say nothing. <BR>I simply walked up town, made a purchase, and came back to another agent who made the sale -- even if he didn't get it right. I told him I wanted to leave from Interlaken West and he sold the ticket from Lauterbrunnen. The cost difference was negligible because I had a Berner Oberland Regional Pass, which gave me 50% off. The extra few dollars by that time were not worth fighting over. I was a little surprised that the Maria Theresa in first class was not much better than 2nd class, and the air cooling was pitiful. At least we had the whole 6-seat compartment for a 7 hour ride. Better than trans Atlantic cattle car seating by a long shot!!

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:10 PM
Dr. Fordor

My Dearest Little Falcon, <BR> <BR>I think if you were to file a stress claim that leaving Switzerland would cause you grave and ignomious injury, you may be able to prolong your stay for as long as you deem necessary. <BR> <BR>Yours in All That is Curative, <BR>Dr. Fordor