Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help wanted - Rhine wine or Black Forest?

Jul 13th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are going to Germany and Alsace for the first time this Sept. Looking for ideas for 3-4 days in Germany ending up in Frankfort. I am leaning towards the Rhine wine areas, castles etc. Would love some ideas concerning where to stay, scenic route etc.
Jul 13th, 2004, 09:11 PM

I would go for the Rhine area. The six hours we spent driving through Black Forest area was one of my few regrets (Stratford on Avon is the other). Granted, we were pretty much just cruising through, but I would have preferred to spend more time in Rhine area or one of the towns we liked a lot, like Rothenburg.
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi f,

I also suggest the Rhine.
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:51 AM

The Rhine/Mosel area is perhaps the prettiest in Germany. And, the wine is wonderful! Be sure to find time for visiting a "weingut" (winemaker). He will introduce you to the wines he makes by offering a free tasting. We visited J.Jung Sohne in Assmanshausen.(Would recommend Hotel Cafe Post in Assmanshausen.) We also had a mind-boggling experience when we toured the Wine Institute in Bernkastel. For something like 20 Deuchmarks each (2 years ago) we were given a wine glass and access to over 150 wines to taste. They actually house over 300 but ONLY 150 were open at that time! The Black Forest can't offer such a unique experience.
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:19 AM

I second the Rhine and the Cafe-Hotel Post in Assmanshausen. The Hoetger's are great people.

Our former "expert" Wes, steered me away fom the Black Forest area. Wes's word was, and still is, law.

Curious
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:57 PM

The Rhein gets my vote as well!
I will be on the Mosel myself mid -September.
Be aware that there will be tons of wine festivals during this time, so book your rooms ahead. I love the medieval walled town of Bacharach. St. Goar was much too small for my tastes.
Boppard is also great. The Mosel branches westward from the Rhein at Koblenz--the towns along here are all lovely as well. Perfect for an autumn visit! Don't miss Burg Eltz on the Mosel, before Cochem.
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Black Forest, hands down. Freiburg.
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM
rex

I have liked the Black Forest aplenty. Around Baden-Baden, Oberkirch and the Schwarzwalder Hochstrasse area (I hope I have that name right). And a little place down near Villingen - - if you really need me to look up the name of it, I could.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:10 PM

We lived in Germany while in the Army and go back as often as possible. Having said that: THE RHINE would be my first choice. You can do it and the MOSEL and have a great time.

We stayed in Assmannhausen at the KRONE. Nice hotel on the river, but may be expensive.

Also stayed at ALTE THORNDECKE in Cochem while doing the Mosel.

Black forest? You need to do it someday, but Rhine/Mosel area would be first.

Routes? Just drive the rivers and you will have plenty to see and do. Also take a short boat ride down the river. You can get on and cruise and then come back to where you started from. nothing better than a great day on the Rhine drinking beer watching the castles go by.
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:19 PM

My wife and I also stayed at the Cafe-Hotel Post in Assmanshausen. We were able to cruise the Rhein getting on the boat at a dock in front of the hotel. You can cruise down stream, getting off at different villages then catching another boat going up or down stream.

We also enjoyed the food at the Cafe-Hotel Post.

Enjoy, J&J
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the advice, it really helps talking to folks who have been there. All suggestions about lodgings will be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks again, you folks are great.
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM

dear fishman
if you'd like to see some photos of Mosel and Black Forest, I posted photos and a trip report on www.worldisround.com under the heading "In search of the perfect bratwurst..."
The Rhine and Mosel are both beautiful and you've gotten great advice here.
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:35 PM
rex

Well, maybe you have been talked into favoring the Rhine/Mosel over the Black Forest; doesn't matter to me. But if you do want a recommendation, this was a nice, no frills, solid-bargain place: http://www.oberkirch.de/ochsen/

Also, the name of the town near Villingen is Schonach (also VERY near Triberg), and this was a nice place - - http://www.bergfriede.de - - I realize it looks very modern and new (and it is), but they were very nice, and the rooms way up in the top were wonderful.