Help w/ what not to miss

Oct 7th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Help w/ what not to miss

Leaving in 2 weeks and have our hotels and travel arrangements set, just don't have any plans of what to do while were there. Can you help me out with what not to miss.

Here's our plan
Arrive milan in the evening. Staying at Hotel Grand Verdi for the night to catch a mid morning train to Venice.

Venice for 2 nights at Hotel Duodo Palace

Pick up car in Venice and drive to Sinalugna for 3 night stay at Locanda Amorosa.

Drive from Sinalunga to Genoa (Nervi) stopping at San Gimignano and Pisa on the way.

2 nights at Villa Pagoda in Nervi. Hope to train to the cinque terra trail

Train to Milan for 1 night at Hotel Jolly persident - Shop and sight see and catch our mid morning flight back to states.

Has anyone had any experience taking the Malpensa Express. It seems like an easy thing to do, using subway system.

Thanks for you help.
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Hello, it will be to your advantage to repost with a more specific heading.
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Hello SBROWNELL, I can't answer your questions "about what to do" when you are at your various spots in Italy..I would assume you have a reason for going to the places that you are planning to go to.

But your questions about the Malpensa Express. That is I assume the shuttle bus that you will want to take from the central train station in Milan to the Malpensa Airport. It runs about every 20 to 30 minutes. And although it probably will not take this long I would allow one hour in case of heavy traffic. There is NOT a subway from Milan to the Malpensa Airport. You will need to take the Malpensa shuttle bus. Best wishes.
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:26 PM

No matter what you do, don't miss your plane
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM
rex

May I elaborate further on the message left by francophile03?

I see that you are new here - - how did I know that? click on your own name (this is one of the numerous useful tips that Fodors fails to tell you when they send you that first e-mail confirming your registration) - - we'll assume that you have also not taken the time to read the "HELP" (little tiny red letters in the upper lefthand corner) - - another oversight that Fodors fails to recommend to you to do.

Anyhow, you owe it to yourself to take a look there: http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm - - especially http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6 - - which I have listed below, in excerpt form, for you (my own emphasis added):

=========================

Finally, create a title - make sure it is concise and clearly describes your message (and destination, if applicable) -- and write your message in the space provided

==========================

Thus, when you re-post - - and you really should do that - - be sure and mention Italy in your message header.

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM

SBROWNELL-

Good luck with your trip to Italy. Can you post something about the Hotel Duodo Palace when you return. I'm booked there for March 2006, and would like to know what it's like. Read reviews on tripadvisor.com, but would still like more info.

By the way, there's a superthread on what to do in Italy.
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:04 PM
rex

topping...
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:25 PM

The Malpensa Express is very easy, but it's a train. It runs from Malpensa airport to the Cadorna Nord station, not Milano Centrale.

S, I think your plan needs a bit of work. I guess you already have your air arranged so I suggest that this trip would work better like this,

Train straight to Venice after arriving in Milan if you don't get in too late. Your 2 nights and 1 1/2 days in Venice is not enough!

If you drive all the way to Genova, stopping at Pisa, you will be by passing the Cinque Terre. I don't think you will have time to drive and see both San Gimignano and Pisa all in one day. Is there some special reason you want to stay in Nervi rather than somewhere in Cinque Terre or Santa Margherita Ligure?

I think you would do better to see San Gimignano as a day trip from Sinalunga.

Just some thoughts....