Help w/travel plans-Ennis as home base

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Thanks to all that have given me suggestions for my trip to Ireland April 22-29th. I was wondering if anyone out there would take a look at my tentative plans and tell me how reasonable they are regarding the travel/distance and maybe offer suggestions to make it better? I had a hard time planning day trips since we will have to return to Ennnis each night.

Day 1-Arrive in Shannon at 7:30 am. Mass in Quinn, Tour Ennis-fiary, museum?, shopping. Tour Limerick-King John's Castle, walking tour?, dinner in Limerick-any suggestions?

Day 2-Drive to Cliffs of Moher, Tour Doolin-Doolin pier, Ballinalcken Castle to see view?, Drive through Burren area, Aillwee Caves, Tour Ballyvaugh-Perfume Factory? Dinner-Holywell Italian Cafe?

Day 3-Drive to Connemara area-Clifden, take Sky Road, tour Kylemoore Abbey, Clifden Heritage Center?, Connemara National Park?, Croagh Patrick? (I realize that this will be a LONG day, but is it within reason in your opinion?)

Day 4-Bunratty Castle and Folk Village, medieval feast at Knappogue Castle in PM (This is the only day that is definite, the rest is still a work in progress)

Day 5-Drive to Ashford Castle, possible lunch there? I hear it's very beautiful and I would just like to see it-Cong village?, Lough Corrib, Westport? Any suggestions for sites/attractions between Ennis and Ashford area?

Day 6-Tour Galway-Galway Cathedral, City Museum?, Heritage Center, Crystal Tour?, other suggestions?

Day 7-Attend cousin's wedding
Day 8-Fly home

I am also considering replacing one of the days for a day trip to Inishmore, however I have heard so many mixed opinions and I don't know what to take out in its place.

Thanks again for looking over this and offering me suggestions!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Looks like a good plan. Basing yourself in one place is a great idea, saves lots of precious vacation time from packing/unpacking.

We stayed for four days in Ennis this past June, and enjoyed it immensely. I would say your days are stuffed, but doable. We had two separate days for the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher/Doolin... it took us most of the day to make it through to Ballyvaughn! But that's cuz we stopped frequently and explored, including Ailwee Caves and Poulnabrone.

IF you want to read my trip report, (with pics) you can see it on www.greendragonartist.com, under For Love of Celts.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:12 AM

Your arrival day is too crowded, even if you can sleep on your flight. If not, it is Mission Impossible! Our last visit to Ennis, we got to our B&B (Rose Cottage) around 9:30 AM, took a nap and got up around 1:00 PM, ready to 'hit the ground running.'

I don't know if the Hunt Museum is open Sundays; but if you're doing Limerick City that should be included. In the Arthur's Quay mall in Limerick City there's an Irish Handicrafts shop I found lesss expensive than Shannon Duty Free and the store will give you an 'on the spot' VAT rebate - just show your passport and airline ticket. Open Sundays?? I don't know!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I agree about having to much planned for Day 1. Choose between a Quinn and Ennis day or a Limerick day...not both.

Your Connemara-Clifden day would be much better if paired with the Galway/Ashford days. They are very close to each other and it would save a lot of driving...but it looks like the banquet plans are causing interference.

Otherwise, you've kept yourself in a concentrated area, which is an excellent plan.

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your advice and concerns! GreenDragon, your website is awesome. You really have a great eye when taking photographs. The pictures you have posted are wonderful!

I had worried about packing too much into day 1. However, only 2 of us will be arriving that day. The others, the driver included, are arriving a day before us. Therefore, I had hoped that his jet lag would be over by then. I also was worried about how much would be open on Sunday, especially in Ennis. We may just decide to head to Limerick for the day since I was able to find that the castle and possibly the museum are both open on Sunday.

As for the daytrips to Clifden and then to Ashford castle later on in the week, I had considered milege. However, I was too afraid that we wouldn't get everything in in one day. Therefore, I had to make it two different days.

Any other suggestions or advice that you could send my way would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone ever taken the river cruise that leaves from Ashford Castle? Are there any Must See's in Cong? Does anyone know of any great places to eat in any of the areas we will be traveling to?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:16 AM

I guess this should go into a 'General-Ireland' category under 'why stay at B&B's.' Hotels usually have a 'Check-in' time that might leave you 'hanging' from an early morning airport arrival until 2-or-3 PM. B&B's are more likely to allow you to check in early. On the flip side, B&B's are more likely to get you breakfast for an early morning departure (7:00 AM or so) than Hotels that depend on a restaurant staff that comes on duty at 7:30 or 8:00 AM.

A notable exception to the latter is the Railway Hotel in Limerick City where I have stayed several times: a 'Mom & Pop' place. They served my 'Full Irish' breakfast at 7:00 AM so I could catch BusEireann to Shannon at 7:45 AM.

If you're in Limerick City on a weekday, the Railway Hotel Pub serves an inexpensive carvery lunch and they probably have the cheapest pint you'll find.

We went to 11:00 AM Mass at SS. Peter & Paul Cathedral in Ennis and walked to the Queen's Hotel at the foot of Abbey Street. The Hotel has a Carvery lunch, even on Sundays.

Then we went next door to Cruise's and enjoyed an impromptu Trad Irish music session for a couple of hours (pints).
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:19 AM

The major stores in Limerick are open on Sundays, like Roches Department Store, Dunnes Stores, Brown and Thomas...plus a host of other smaller shops on O'Connell Street. The tourist office is usually open, but they close for lunch (not sure of their April hours).

We have a tradition of going to the high mass at Glenstal Abbey in Murrow (www.glenstal.org -imagine monks chanting and incense) then going to the Jasmine Palace Chinese restaurant in Limerick for their amazing Sunday brunch (I know Chinese buffet sounds like a strange thing to do in Ireland, but it is so amazing...it's located right on O'Connell Street). Mass is at 10 or 10:30 and brunch starts at 12:30 (reservation are recommended - www.jasminepalacerestaurant.com).

Most of the sites in Cong are in the village. The castle grounds are fantastic (especially if you are a fan of the Quiet Man), as are the abbey ruins and the cozy village. Consider a meal at Michaeleen's... there are several other great restaurants in Cong.

Corey
www.irishfireside.com