Search

Help w/TGV Tix

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/TGV Tix

I purchased TGV tickets in the past, CDG-Avignon, on the sncf site without too much difficulty.

In 2003, I had them sent via mail. I chose the country as France but gave my US address and received the tickets in about one week - no problem.

In 2005 the website changed slightly and that time I simply printed the tickets on my printer.

Now it looks like they've changed the site and force you to go through Rail Europe @ $392 R/T !!!

Previously, I think we paid something like 40E roundtrip.

This would be for travel the last week of June and return the first week of July.

Has anyone cracked the code recently?

Thanks,
JoeG
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:06 PM

I just bought TGV tickets on the sncf website last month and had them mailed to the states. Printing them out at home was not an option.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM

How did you have your tickets mail to the US?
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM

Like you, in '05 I printed the tickets no problem.
I think the trick now is that you have to go through the French version of the site. If you select "English" it takes you to Rail Europe.
My understanding is now you can only print out PREM fares. Anything else you have to pick up at the station.
There is a long thread here somewhere on now to navigate the new website. Do a search, it should pop up.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM

Try this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34803732
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Kristina,
I read through the entire MorganB post and was finally able to get through in English on the sncf site.

The fare was 182E r/t trip vs $392 at Rail Europe. Much more than I've paid in the past, but still much cheaper than Rail Europe.

Thanks so much,

francophile03,
The first time I did this in '03, I mistakenly put France as my country and the tickets were mailed to my US address with "France" tacked on at the end. It may have just been dumb luck that worked out for me.

JoeG
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM

Joe, in the past (twice) I also purposely left the country as "France" and purposely chose to have tickets mailed to Florida, USA and they arrived within 10 days. Haven't done that in a couple years, though.

I learned to go the the French version of voyages-sncf, and change the LANG=FR to LANG=UK in the url line.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut,
I did what you suggested and was able to get the English version earlier today. When I tried to go back to purchase the tickets just now, I couldn't get the English version to refresh.

I ended up going back through the RailEurope site and now the exact same fares that were $392 r/t trip are coming up at $209!!!

JoeG
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM

Getting PREMS is the cheapest ticket. Ours for July were 45 euros from Paris to Avignon in first class, and 25 euros on the trip back, second class...with reserved seats both ways. I go to the French site of SNCF....much cheaper than Rail Europe. You do need to be able to read a little French. I keep a French dictionary next to the computer and then print out my tickets. Try it! However, these are nonrefundable.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM

Hi JoeG, that is interesting. I do think I recall others did find that loophole. I wonder if SNCF has realized it by now.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM

The fare was 182E r/t trip vs $392 at Rail Europe. If this is p.p.it's ridiculous because RE sells a France railpass for 3 days unlimited travel in a month for a whole lot cheaper - costing $238 p.p. on a saver - even with having to pay for reservations extra is would be way cheaper than $392

i assume the $392 is for two travelers round trip?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ,
The $392 was r/t for ONE person!!!
JoeG
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

As a follow-up:

The good news: the tickets were received yesterday via UPS 2nd day air from Rail Europe.(at a cost of $18)

The bad news: the tickets were incorrectly issued as "Child" tickets instead of an "Adult".

The email confirmation correctly showed this to be an adult fare.

When I called Rail Europe to have this resolved, I was first put on hold for approximately 20 minutes.
I was told that the tickets had to be sent back and when received they would be exchanged for new tickets, or they could be cancelled and we could re-book on line. In either case apparently we would have to pay the current new fare which as of this moment would be $107 additional!

They seemed dismayed when I told them that this would be unacceptable. They agreed that the mistake was theirs, but couldn't understand why I didn't want to have to call UPS for a pick-up, and wait for them to hopefully send the correct tickets at an apparent additional fare . They kept asking what I wanted, I stated that I wanted them to send the correct tickets. They would not do ANYTHING until I sent the original tickets.

Eventually, they agreed to re-issue the correct tickets at no additional net cost although they would have to charge the credit card for the additional amount($107) and eventually credit it for the same amount.

Very customer un-friendly!!!!

Like I mentioned, previously booking through the sncf site - I had tickets mailed to my house from France and the next time printed on printer. Both times simply showing up and getting on the train - at a greatly reduced fare.

So much for the convenience of booking through Rail Europe!!!
JoeG
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
yk

Thanks for the follow-up. Annoying indeed!

So, my understanding is that they will send you correct tickets without any extra charge, right???
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

yk,
<<So, my understanding is that they will send you correct tickets without any extra charge, right???>>

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully I don't get stuck with the additional $18 UPS charges both ways.

JoeG.