Help w/ Scotland itinerary Aug '06: Ed to Skye

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Scotland in early August for 8 nights. I've spent hours reading related posts but I'm somewhat confused and a bit overwhelmed. I would love some help with the itinerary.

We will be flying transatlantic the night before, connecting in Amsterdam and arrving in EDI 10am on 8/8. We plan on a car rental when leaving Edinburgh.

Nights 1&2: Edinburgh; trying to get "last-minute" Military Tattoo tickets, looked on Ebay but prices seem high ($170+/tkt). Will be in Edinburgh nights of 8/8 & 8/9.

Nights 3,4,5: Need help filling in the blanks. Initial thoughts were St. Andrews area, Aberdeen and seeing the Castles of Mar, Inverness with Loch Ness and Lochalsh area. Areas of interest are history, scenery, castles, etc. Certainly open to any suggestions.

Nights 6&7: Isle of Skye. We would love to take a couple of days to RELAX. Skye looks beautiful but I've noticed posts that don't seem that impressed with it. Any other suggestions?

Night 8: Perth. Need to get back to EDI on Day 9 for our flight @ 9am, so thought we would drive from Skye (4 hour drive? easy or difficult driving?), see Stirling & Perth, sleep in Perth and drive to EDI the next morning. How long is the drive from Perth to EDI? Does this make sense or is there a better idea?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just a few short comments - I'm off to bed but you might get some hits overnight from a couple of fodorites in the UK.

1) Since the tattoo is totally sold out I would think tickets will go for what ever the traffic will bear. Do you already have a hotel booked in Edinburgh? If not, do it immediately - if not sooner.

2) I don't know who in their right mind would be impressed by Skye. Do realize some folks think a day trip to Skye is "doing Skye" and that might certainly be unimpressive . . .

3) Staying in Perth doesn't make too much sense in this case. From Skye to Stirling would take you through Glencoe and the Trossachs - both absolutely beautiful. And then from Stirling to EDI is a very easy drive. No need to head north from Stirling to Perth before heading south again to EDI.

Your general itinerary is a OK though. Edinburgh 2 nights. Fife 1 night. Aberdeenshire 1 or 2 nights (don't bother visiting Inverness - it doesn't offer any of the things you mention wanting to see. So just drive around it on your way west towards Skye.) 2 nights on Skye. 1 night near Stirling - Callander would be a good choice.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:11 AM

I think what you're planning is pretty OK. I agree with Janis about getting beds in Edinburgh asap.

I think she meant to say "unimpressed" in the first setence of her para 2)

Perth is a good place to stay before catching the flight, but so is Edinburgh. Frankly, however, I would base myself somewhere I didn't have to cross teh bridge in the rush houe, so Stirling, Doune, Linlithgow all make smore sense than Perth.

I too would miss out Inverness as a place to sleep, but you mighy like to have alook at Speyside or Beauly as an alternative.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OMG! Of course Sheia is right. I meant to say "who in their right mind would be UNimpressed w/ Skye"

hope that didn't confuse you . . . . .
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. But I've run into a snag. Instead of flying into Edinburgh, our flight is now into London-HR. I have a couple of options:

1) Connecting flight for LHR to EDI, into EDI @ noon on 8/8 BUT. .

2) My husband would like to see some of England while we're there, so do you think it would still be reasonable if we compressed the schedule i.e.

Night 1: London (we've been before, just wanted to visit with some friends)

Night 2: York; Train from Kings Cross to York, Day 3 train from York to Edinburgh

Night 3&4: Edinburgh; I've looked online and there still seem to be rooms available

Night 5: Aberdeenshire (would it be possible to see some of St. Andrews/Fife on our way to Aberdeen from Edinburgh en route, or is this too hurried?

Nights 6&7: Sky (see some of Highlands, Loch Ness, Lochalsh en route to Skye?)

Night 8: Stirling

Day 9: Fly from EDI to States
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to start a new post since I've now added York/Yorkshire Dales to the trip which is altering Scotland.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:54 AM

There are *lots* of things on in Edinburgh in August apart from the Tattoo. I generally go to c.50 festival shows & I've never wanted to go to the Tattoo. What dates will you be here now ? The Fringe officially starts 6th August (although there's stuff on the week before - www.edfringe.com), the Book Festival (www.edbookfest.co.uk) starts 12th August, the International ("official&quot Festival (www.eif.co.uk) starts 13th August and the Film Festival (www.edfilmfest.org.uk) starts 14th August.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm so glad you mentioned there will be other events to attend. We'll be in Edinburgh from 8/11 to 8/13, and I am trying to get Tattoo tickets last minute, but nice to know there are other options. I'll look into the other events, although our stay is so short we may only be able to fit in 1 or 2 in addtion to all of the usual sites.