Help w Italy Trip

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM
sph
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w Italy Trip

The first week in Oct my husband and I will travel to/from Rome (first trip) - we will be in Italy for 8 days. We don't know if we should be in the north or south area but I have read that a few days in Rome, a few days in Tuscany not to forget Cinque Terre and of course my husband must see the Ferrari factory. We like adventure, local places and fun. Fodor's advice was outstanding for a recent trip to Australia so I will really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Hi sph ~ Does your 8 days include travel days? Meaning you have 6 full days. Or do you have 8 full days? (meaning 10 days: two travel days, eight full days).

I think this information will greatly influence the answers you will receive.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:14 PM
jgg

The Ferrari factory is located in a small town called Maranello kind of near Bologna. With 8 days, I am not sure it would be wise to make that a priority. If you have an interest in Rome and Tuscany then 4 days in Rome and 4 days exploring Tuscany would make a wonderful vacation. I am not sure I would trek over to Cinque Terre without more time.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
sph
Original Poster

Hi - thanks for the quick responses. We will have 8 days in Italy not incl travel time.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM
MaureenB

Do you mean THIS October??

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM

FYI - I was under the impression that you had to own a Ferrari (or, perhaps, have arrangements made by a Ferrari dealer) in order to tour the Ferrari factory. It has to be pre-arranged.

Good luck!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM

In 8 days you will do well to see Rome and parts of Tuscany. Good luck !
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM

I was at Maranello earlier this year. It is very difficult to get inside the factory, even for an owner; you can only see the outside and go to the Galleria Ferrari a block away, which I thought was slick and contemporary but awfully small, falling far short of being a comprehensive museum of Ferraris. Maranello is about 15 minutes from Modena, the birthplace of Enzo Ferrari. Modena itself has a nice old town, and Enzo's old home is here (closed for restoration), along with the Maserati factory (also no tours) and a restaurant owned by Pavarotti. All in all it is nice enough but for a first trip with limited time you won't be missing much if you pass it up. With 8 days I would pass on the Cinque Terre as well and just do Rome and Tuscany.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
sph
Original Poster

Thanks again. After several um, discussions with my husband he cannot miss the whole Ferrari thing. So, how about this and pls don't laugh I have not been there. We arrive in Rome Oct 3 and depart Oct 12 (usually like to take off 1 day for jet lag but may not be able to) so we actually have 9 days.

Pls let me know if this is feasible:

1. Oct 3, 4, 5 Rome
2. Oct 6, 7,8 Montepulciano (day trips to Siena, Val d'Orcia, Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino)
3. Oct 9,10 Florence depart early Oct 11
4. Oct 11 Maranello, depart same day
5. Oct 11, out 12th Rome
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
sph
Original Poster

yes, Maureen B - we are lucky enough to travel a lot so we have time but w/out this web site it would not be planned as well - thanks everyone for fast replys
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM

I would spend 3-4 days in Rome, travel South and try to see as much of Tuscany as possible. We stayed in Siena which was a great stop point to drive to other cities in Tuscany. San Gimigiano is terrific--a walled city.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Maranello as a daytrip, starting from Florence and ending in Rome. Hmmmm.....

I understand your husband's position. That area was a priority for me on my trip. The factory is in a dull industrial area so you will need a car to get there, or at least take a taxi from Modena - trenitalia does not show a train station in Maranello. The train from Modena down to Rome is 3.5 hours, and the drive is over 400 km. It will be a very long day but as a bit of a tifosi myself I cannot discourage you. Just bear in mind that it will be a lot of work for what may seem a small reward.

As I was driving there from Modena, a Ferrari Scaglietti 612 came up behind me. Then another appeared in front of me. Then 3 more passed me in the opposite direction. That was the highlight of my visit, along with a great little pizza place I found a few blocks from my Modena hotel (the Donatello).

Forza Rossa!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Just a correction for clarification wordmith, I am sure you meant to type north and not south regarding getting to Tuscany from Rome. Actually Umbria is north of Rome, Tuscany is n/w of Rome.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM
sph
Original Poster

derekflint: thanks for the reply. We have 6 days figured out but are struggling w/the rest. My husband does not want to visit Florence but likes small quaint places so I am trying to figure out where to go in between Montepulciano and Modena and in between Modena and Rome. We have 3 nights for these locations. Hopefully this is not impossible. Any further recommendations are appreciated. We are still headed for Modena just because we have to and if nothing else we can eat at the famous restaurant (this is what my dear hubby tells me).
Thanks again
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:47 PM

To tour the Ferrari factory you need an advance invitation. Typically it is provided by the dealer from whom you bought your car. But - if you have befriended a dealer - who perhaps also sells other cars and bought one of those - you may be able to get one. It is NOT open to the general public.

(A former boyfriend got invitations to tour the factory since his Porsche dealer also had a Ferrari dealership but he had to do an awful lot of tap dancing to get the invite.)
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:09 PM

sph,

Here is a link to the Ferrari museum in Modena. As you can see, it is closed Monday, so factor that into your plans.

I think it is fantastic you are spending time in Italy that is both of great personal interest to your husband and will surely get you off the beaten track. October is a fabulous month to visit Italy's food capitals, with the autumn harvest rolling in.

You wrote:

"My husband does not want to visit Florence but likes small quaint places so I am trying to figure out where to go in between Montepulciano and Modena and in between Modena and Rome."

Have you considered Pistoia on the way to Modena from Montepulciano? Orvieto for your return (where you could drop off your car)?

http://www.fotosearch.com/ICN216/f0010303/

http://www.pbase.com/prh2/orvieto

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM
sph
Original Poster

After looking at the map and the threads here regarding Modena, my husband has decided that we should remove it from our itinerary. So, based on the good advice, we will spend 3 nights in Rome and 5 nights in Tuscany and the last night back in Rome. I would like advice on villas in Montepulciano or if Montalcino is better and then I will finally be able to book the trip and take a crash course in Italian. Thanks again and hopefully this is my last question.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Hi sph,

Feel free to ask questions, that is what the board is here for

Have you considered going to straight to Tuscany for 5 nights, then returning to Rome for the last 4 nights? It can be a more efficient use of time not to have to move a third time for the last night.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM
sph
Original Poster

fun4all4: Whoa..now I really feel stupid. That makes more sense. Thank you! Now all I have to do is book accommodations - we had this trip scheduled in April but had to postpone so I can't wait to finally get there.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I agree that it's better to go straight to Tuscany and do Rome all in one stop (one less hotel change), except as much as I love Tuscany, I would do 4 nights Tuscany and 5 nights Rome (there is SO much to see there).

And you will have a much better trip if this is NOT your last question here! There is a wealth of information available on this site. Do searches and ask more questions and you will get all kinds of great information for your trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -