Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Venice Italy

Search

HELP!!! Venice Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:16 AM
Leigh

HELP!!! Venice Italy

When I look at hotels in Venice, they are broken down by area. Could anyone tell me which section is better to stay???? I know that I would like a view of a canal. I am going there for my honeymoon and would like something romantic.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Paulo

Venice is a small town, Leigh. The distance from ANY hotel in one of Venice's "sestieri" (Santa Croce, San Polo, Dorsoduro, Cannaregio, Castello and San Marco) to San Marco square is at most 1 1/2 miles. Even if one's lodged in the expensive Cipriani (Giudecca island), San Marco may be reached in minutes either with the hotel boat or by a vaporetto. The region between both, the Rialto and the Accademia bridges and San Marco square (sestiere di San Marco) is the most touristy one. Cannaregio (from the Rialto bridge to the train station) is also very touristy in the section near Canal Grande; much less so off Strada Nova. My preferred sestieri to stroll are Dorsoduro, Castello and the northern part of Cannaregio (from the Jewish Ghetto to Madonna dell'Orto and the Gesuiti church. <BR> <BR>My idea of a "romantic" hotel is the overall atmosphere of the Flora (in San Marco). But there are no canal views. There are rooms with a view to a very lovely internal patio & garden (a rarity in Venice). <BR> <BR>Anyway, what would your budget be for accomodations? <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Marty

Paulo is (as always!)right. There really is no bad place in Venice. Even in touristy areas, if you walk one street over the area can be entirely deserted of anything but locals. That is the wonder of Venice. My recommendation based on my last stay in Venice in June (if you are looking somewhat budget)would be the Locanda Leon Bianoc (www.leonbianco.it). It is on the canal and room two was very large for Europe. Our friends had somewhat smaller room but there were three in the room, so perhaps the extra bed made it seem smaller. Breakfast was brought to the room. The only downside for some people would be the lack of elevator, but we travel very lightly, and once we rang the bell, they hurried out to help us.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 09:30 AM
Leigh

Thanks for the info. We will be going in November. We will start with one week in Rome and two days in Venice. As for budget, I want something special, but it does not need to be The Ritz!! Under $200.00 per night if possible.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:57 PM
elaine

There is a charming bed & breakfast right on the Giudecca Canal; not too expensive "La Calcina". I found it through Karen Brown's Guide to B&B's. <BR>It is small, quite charming and very close to Accademia and the vaporetto stop. Our "small" room had a view from <BR>a fairly small window; but it was very clean and very private.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Leigh

Elaine, <BR>Thanks, I found the website for Karen Brown's recommendations and the hotel was there. It really looks great.