Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are good items to buy in Vienna/Austria??

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 03:48 PM
kathy

After reading Kara's question about shopping in London I wondered if anyone had any ideas for good gifts or souvenirs to bring back from Vienna?

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Debi

When I was in Vienna, I bought the following:
1) painting by Hundertwasser - an Austrian artist
2) some Austrian crystal
What I didn't buy, but wish I had - there are some makes of Austrian china that are absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had bought some of that.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Frank

Stop at Demel's or another quality pastry shop and bring back some edible souveniers...after all, you're in Vienna!

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 03:27 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Kathy
If you are from a cold climate and want
something for yourself, look at Loden
Coats, used to be a very good shop on
the north side of St. Stephens, also
they return the vat...
Richard of La Grange Park, IL...

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:23 AM
Heather

The best gifts that I found were for chocolate lovers. On the pedistrian street (I forgot the name) toward St. Stephen's Cathedral, there is a tiny candy shop called Altmann & Kuhn's. It's charming and paneled in dark wood -- they make their delicious homemade candies in the store. Avoid items that are pre-wrapped in cellophane without the A&K logo. The homemade items come in beautiful souvenir boxes in a variety of sizes that are perfect for tucking in the suitcase. If I make it back, I'm filling a suitcase full of their candy. (Don't forget a bag to munch on as you walk around Vienna.) Of course, everyone will suggest the famous Sachre Tortes. The store by the hotel packages all different sizes in sturdy boxes that survived my travels and the flight home. My mom LOVED the torte, but I didn't try any. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Al

At the risk of being a party-pooper, some of the best things to bring back from Vienna are......memories. Vienna is one of the most expensive cities we have ever visited, including Tokyo. If you are a senior citizen, make sure you impress on ticket-sellers at museums and palaces that you are a senior. Otherwise, seeing that you are a tourist and an American, they will not grant you the discount price. We know; we didn't...and we paid through the nose at the Kunsthistorisches Museum. Later, we found out how we had been gouged by a rather imperious ticket seller. We live and we learn. Food in Vienna is also very expensive. For two frankfurters and two Cokes: $10 U.S. A lot of this expense explosion, we were told, is due to Kurt Waldheim's move while he was Secretary General of the United Nations. He arranged for a lot of building of UN offices and hiring of UN personnel in Vienna, all arranged so that they pay no taxes. This increased demand and civic expenses with no offsetting increase in tax revenues. Hence, a lot of needless price inflation. It's a great city...if you can afford it.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 03:09 PM
Heather

I hate to hear that Al got ripped off in Vienna, but I had nothing but great experiences and didn't qualify for any discounts so had to pay the posted price anyway. Our hotel was stunning and incredibly reasonable. We had a suite with a sunken bedroom and crystal chandelier (if anyone wants info, drop an email) and it was close to everything. Our food was terrific and inexpensive. We followed the locals for lunch and would have delicious daily specials -- 3 full courses with wine for approx $5-6 per person. For dinner, we would talk with the person at the hotel desk who was possibly the most helpful person I've encountered in any hotel. He steered us well.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 06:50 PM
Miriam

Hi Kathy,
since all food items are a bit
difficult to take back home I have
two different suggestions.

Palmers-I don`t know if you know the brand, but they`re famous for wonderful dessous. Don`t get me wrong-it`s real underwear, bras, slips, but mostly made of silk. And it`s an Austrian company, they have stores all over Vienna.

Wolford-In my opinion one of the best brands for stockings that you can wear more than once and they look wonderful, they sell bodies as well. Again an Austrian company with a lot stores in Vienna.

Miriam

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 07:32 PM
caroline

I was in Vienna in late November and i bought some beautiful Christmas ornaments at the Christmas market there.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 02:50 PM
chris

OKAY SINCE WE ARE ON THE TOPIC OF BUYING...WHAT SHOULD I PURCHASE WHILE IN THE SALZBURG/ WOLFGANGSEE AREA OF AUSTRIA?

Thanks....Chris

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Leigh

Was in Austria for 8 days this past winter. Mostly Kitzbuhl but spent two days in Salzburg While in Salzburg we did a lot of sight seeing. Don't miss the fort. Best views of the city. I saw a ton of chocolate. Bought some. It was incredible. Strange, but being a skier, I bought a cow bell. I also bought crystal ornaments.