Help us plan 9 day driving itinerary in England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just starting to plan and would appreciate help to narrow choices.

About us: DD is finishing up 1 year of graduate studies in London and I (Mom) am flying over from US. DD has lived in London 2 times before (6 months each time) and I have visited UK several times. I usually travel with DH but he is skipping this trip. DD and I love London so much we have not ventured much beyond. We have made brief trips to Cotswolds (love!), York, and Edinburgh. DD has also spent a weekend in Wales and various day trips out of London. This will be our first time driving in UK for both of us.

We will be picking up rental car on Friday, Sept 14 and returning to LHR 10 days later on Monday, so 9 full days to travel. We are interested in a bit of everything, beautiful countryside, small villages, cathedrals, stately homes, historical sites, etc. Daughter travels a bit faster than me but neither of us tries to see everything; always planning on more trips to UK. <smile> Will do some short walks but probably no all day ones. We also like to shop (more looking than buying, of course.)

Starting point is DD has suggested Cornwall and the Lake District. I am overwhelmed in researching because everything sounds familiar and wonderful; Canterbury, Hadrian's Wall, the Yorkshire Dales, Kent, . . .

I know I am asking a lot, but would love it if some very opinionated persons could suggest a plan that includes a variety of landscapes and a taste of what the English countryside has to offer. We prefer not to stay somewhere new every night and do not want to spend a lot of time on major roads. Let's say the only given is at least a brief visit to Bath. Tipping a toe into Wales would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 01:21 PM

I will suggest the lake district and Yorkshire - one base in each. We did this in 2009 and loved it!
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
1) Are you staying in London at all before the the 14th and 2) where are you picking up the car?

If yes, and LHR I suggest instead you take the train to Exeter or Plymouth and pick up the car there. Spend 3 or 4 days exploring Cornwall/Devon from a base somewhere on the eastern side of Cornwall. Then a day/night in Bath. Leave Bath and pop into south Wales to visit Chepstow/Tintern Abbey, then straight up to the Lakes.

Spend 3or 4 days in the Lake District and finally drive back to LHR either stopping for the last night someplace like Oxford or Windsor, or a hotel at LHR.

OR - do what jamikins suggested (both would be great options)
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes we are leaving from London and renting at LHR. DD is moving back to US so we will use car to haul 4 large suitcases to storage location near LHR before beginning travel. My "excuse" for going over is to help her haul luggage home. <smile>

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:32 AM

There are so many places you could visit. It is going to really be a matter of finding a good balance. I would recommend Chatsworth House http://www.chatsworth.org/visiting/finding-us if you can fit it in! I would also have a look at the English Heritage website http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/ once you know your route, and see what else you can see along the way (many of their sites are couples with nice tea shops etc.) I prefer English Heritage to National Trust (I can say that as I'm a member of both!) Also if you're thinking of popping to Wales Conwy Castle is on my to-do list (my fiancé has been and I was rather jealous!)

Hope that's helpful on the cultural/historic side of things!