Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for driving itinerary through southern England!

Mar 7th, 2018, 04:57 AM
lpb
Original Poster

My husband and I will be taking our two teenage daughters (17 and 14) to England this June. We are spending the first four nights in London, but then plan to rent a car and drive the scenic routes in southern (mainly western) England. We depart London the morning of June 21st and need to be back at the airport hotel for our last night on the 26th.

Someone suggested that we cover some of the more popular sites by taking one of our days in London to schedule a day trip (to see Oxford, Stonehenge and Bath), but while we are in country, I would love to take more time in Bath, as well as drive through the Cotswolds and visit Blenheim Palace.

Is this day tour a good idea and, if so, which towns/sites should we reserve for the more leisurely time when we have the car?

Once we do have the car, (starting on June 21) I wanted to drive to Cornwall so I'd love a suggested driving itinerary with that goal in mind (using as many country roads as possible) ending back up at Heathrow on the 26th -- as well as suggestions for overnight stays (Inns/farmhouses, etc.). I've been to the area before (though many years ago), and I want my family to experience as much of the lovely English countryside as possible while we are there this trip. My husband is a huge history buff. Thank you for any guidance you can provide!
Mar 7th, 2018, 05:25 AM

If you want more time in Bath, why don't you spend at least one night there, and pick up the car there, saving the drive from London? Oxford, Stonehenge and Bath plus travel to/from London all in one day is far too rushed.
Mar 7th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Yes take train to Bath and stay the day and drive to Cornwall and then back to London having done Oxford as a day trip. Very easy to incorporate Stonehenge en route to say Heathrow to return car. Book trains to Bath far in advance to get smart discounted fares - National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables - www.seat61.com has tons of info on doing that yourselves online - general train info on what to expect on trains also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. Driving out and back takes two days alone.