Search

Help us Decide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help us Decide

Hi all!

Two friends and I are planning one-week trip this January. However, although we're loving what packages Budget Travel Magazine has, we're indecisive on where to go. We figured if we posted our "wish-list" we might get some great suggestions!

Required:
- Mix of relaxation *and* activity
- Outside the U.S.
- Temperature is at least 60 degrees in January
- Package price of <$800/person (air + hotel)
- English spoken at least somewhat
- Relatively safe for 3 20-something women

Nice but not mandatory:
- In/near a metropolitan area
- Not somewhere everyone and their mother has gone
- Coastal location + beach
- Inexpensive attractions/dining/etc
- Day trip options
- Shopping and spas
- No major health concerns

Please email me at [email protected]. Much appreciated!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Maira

Puerto Rico, Bahamas, or Bermuda.

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:02 PM

You might look at Jamaica. My daughter lives in Negril and I recall some really good deals on flight/hotel. She says it's wonderful there but I haven't visited yet. Europe will be cold. I was on the Costa del Sol in January a few years ago and I'd guess it was barely 60 degrees.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:09 PM

You've posted this on the European board & I can't think of any place in Europe that would fit all your requirements. Here are some places Europeans go for winter vacations

The Canary Islands will have the weather & English (the English go there) but unlikely to find hotel & air for $800 from the US for a week.

Barcelona has beach/city, shopping probably good temps.

Ibiza, Majorca or other places in southern Spain.

Malta may fit your bill.

But to keep the aifare affordable from the US, Maira is right about her suggestions. You might want to check the Carribean board here.

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:21 PM

AO

I don't recommend Jamaica for that budget. Christmas - spring break (late March) is high season for the Carribean, especially Ja.

I've been there during that time and I have friends that have been going there every January for 15 years. Last year they couldn't touch airfare for under $600 per person (from Minneapolis). Plus, the only accommodations that you'll find for under $100 night will be sparten rooms w/ a bathroom outside, no hot water, and it will be a fair walk away from your room.

On the other hand, you'll get in lots of beach time and it will be warm. Just be prepared to be accosted by renta-rastas at every turn.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:28 PM

You have chosen the high season but if you keep checking applevacations.com you may find a special in your price range for DR. (Punta Cana.) Unless I missed it you don't mention from where you will be orginating from. It is more than likely the most reasonable Caribbean Island to explore. Also Playa Del Carmen Mexico may work for you. Both places will be above 60 I am almost positive.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:33 PM

mexico comes to mind and i second the canary island (off africa--spanish islands)---you could probably go with a group to get good rates....i went to tenerife several years ago and loved it---its cheap...there is shopping, beach, good food, safe....
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I've also found packages for Belize that are within our budget. I know this is the European board, but since we've brought up Caribbean destinations, I thought I'd throw that out there, in case any of you have visited it yourself... I'm certainly in favor of island travel, however, we want to do more than sit on a beach. I want to experience a different culture as well.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:05 PM

South of Cancun by about 45 minutes, there's Playa Del Carmen, a funky beach resort that actually reminds me of the way Negril, Jamaica used to be. When we were there a few years ago, there were apartments to rent very cheaply, and some of these may fit your budget.

Also, farther South, there are newer to tourism areas that now have small hotels, cabins, etc. Some of these would still put you in close enough range to the Mayan ruins at Tulum, etc.

Good luck, and have a great trip!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:19 PM

just FYI
I noticed someone mentioned Barcelona ...not warm in January I was there end of March and it was still not beach weather although it is beautiful and worth goign to and can be affordable as a vacation desination. I would stay away from package deals to europe if you are on a budget usually you can do it cheaper yourself and still stay in decent places.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Hi,
I was thinking that Sicily might be a great place to go. I think the temperature might be more around 50-55, but there is so much to see and do.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Original poster here. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. Plus, I just found some packages at excellent prices here - now, I just have to decide what city/cities to visit!

http://virgin-vacations.com/vav_as.asp