Reload this Page >

Help! Train Travel

Search

Help! Train Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Diane

Help! Train Travel

I am going to Italy for the first time next week and have a Italian 8 day flexi pass. I plan on getting seat reservations also. I am confused as to the procedures. I will be in Rome when I first use my pass. Where do I get it validated the first time? Also, is there anything I need to get validated in the yellow boxes before getting on the trains? Do I validate the pass in the yellow box or the seat reservation?

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:54 AM
scurry

<BR>I can give some advice on the various Eurail passes but I'm not sure if it's the same thing as you have so I don't want to give you misleading/confusing/wrong directions.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Diane

I guess what I am trying to find out is do I have to do anything with my flexi rail pass after I get it validated the first day? I will not have point-to-point tickets, so do I have to get anything validated prior to getting on a train with a seat reservation?

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Cindy

Hello, <BR>You need to have your pass validated at the train station before you leave on your first trip. In the Rome station, you will find a Eurail Aid or Travelers Aid (can't remember the exact name) office and they will validate it for you there. I think it can be validated at the ticket office also, but the line will be shorter in the Aid office. You need to write the date in the boxes at the bottom on the day you are using it, preferably before the conductor looks at it. As far as reservations go, if you are taking a "popular" or well-used train at a peak time, you should make reservations. It costs less than $15 to make them (for the entire party)and then you are assured of a seat in first class and are seated together. That is assuming you have a first class pass and want to sit together! Usually you can make the reservations the day you travel, but if you know your dates and train departures for future dates, you can make them all at the same time. I'm not sure if this is a cost savings or not. You can make the reservations at any ticket counter. I also heard that travel agencies can do this for you (no line, small fee) but I have never tried it. Traveling into or out of Rome, you will probably want reservations, based on my limited experience. We waited until the day before a couple of times and always found that the first class non-smoking cars were full and we had to sit in smoking. That would not have been our first choice. Hope this helps!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 01:57 PM
vic osaki

Cindy's explanation is quite comprehensive. The only thing I can add is that you are supposed to stamp the coupon that you plan to use in a machine located at the entrance to the station. It's usually a box on a pole. I think the reason for the stamp is that the conductor might not get to you to stamp your coupon. Also, we got our reservations in the US on our 3 week trip to Italy last year. We went in late June and early July. Our experience was spoty. We used the super deluxe EuroStars. Some trains were empty others were full. More people smoke in Europe than in the US, so about half the cars are smoking. If you don't make reservations early, your group may be separated.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Diane

Thanks for the tips. I just wasn't sure you had to have anything stamped if you had a rail pass and seat reservation. From what I can determine you need to get your seat reservation coupon stamped.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 01:40 PM
cindy

Sorry, I forgot about the validation machine! Yes, you need to validate your seat reservation using the machine which is typically found at the track in a big station or in the station itself. Have fun!