Help! Taxi sharing at Paddington

Mar 9th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Help! Taxi sharing at Paddington

I read that the taxi sharing scheme at Paddington only lasts until 10:30 am.

Then, here - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/taxi-sharing.asp

If you open that up, it states Paddington Station has taxi sharing all day, during the week.

Does anybody know the hours of taxi sharing at Paddington? Sharing closing at 10:30 am or sharing all day during weekday?

Also, I am thinking a shared taxi to Kensington Olympia, give or take, would run 5 pounds, if shared. Is that in the ballpark? If not shared, 10 pounds, give or take depending on traffic? I would be mid day on a Friday.

Thanks. There is always the bus.
Mar 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

You need to open page 3 of The London Taxi Sharing Scheme Order 2005 (PDF 79KB). on the tfl site. There on page 3 of the PDF 79KB it states Paddington has shared taxis all day.
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM

The site Cymbeline refers to does NOT say "Paddington Station has taxi sharing all day, during the week".

It says "Fixed-fare taxi sharing operates as follows:

Regular weekday morning services from Paddington to central London and other important destinations".

The Order does NOT say taxi sharing schemes operate all day. The Order doesn't dictate the existence of a scheme: it simply allows certain things to happen that would enable the scheme to work, to designated destinations only. Apart from some sporting events, those designated destinations are all in the centre. Olympia is NOT in the centre.

The Order DOES NOT include journeys to Olympia, ever

I've not seen the scheme actually working after 10.30, except during Wimbledon and Palace garden parties, and I use Paddington pretty frequently. For the avoidance of doubt, you can't taxi-share to Olympia.
Mar 10th, 2007, 04:47 AM

For Olympia I don't know why you are going to Paddington anyway. You can take the tube from LHR to Earl's Court and then catch get on an Olympia train for one stop. The tube from LHR is easy and you always get a seat since it is the starting point, and the tube from Earl's Court is a piece of cake.

I just stayed at the Hilton Olympia about 10 days ago and did have to take a cab to Paddington one time (long story - normally that wouldn't have been my choice) and it was 12GBP - but it was earlier in the a.m. and there was a lot of traffic. I'd guess normally the fare would be about 9 or 10 GBP.

The tube will be a LOT cheaper and just about as easy as the HEX plus taxi or tube.
Mar 10th, 2007, 05:02 AM

My above post is assuming you are solo. If you are traveling w/ somewone else a car service would be another option. But in general, the tube is the easiest way to get to Olympia from LHR and by far the cheapest.
Mar 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

janisj, I know it was stupid! But I made an impulsive decision when HEX had the 50% off code. I've always taken the tube in before.

Unfortunately, I'd already booked a Kensington hotel with Priceline - if my hotel were in walking distance of Paddington it would have been perfect.

So, now I'm thinking of taking Bus 27 at Praed St, outside Paddington. Since you already know I'm stupid, I'll continue with more of the same.

At Transport for London the journey planner shows no buses at the approx. time I'd be wanting: Heathrow arrival 11:25. But Wikapedia says #27 comes by every 7-8 minutes. Could somebody help me?

Also, though it is a short ride, I dread getting into a tube train with luggage when the tube might be jammed. Or does anyone think the tube is the way to go to Kensington Olympia from Paddington mid day on a Frday? I will have a day backpack and a carry on size roller bag.