Is the taxi expensive in London?

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Is the taxi expensive in London?

My daughter and I will be going to London next month and I would like to know how much a cab would cost from Ibis Earls Court to Heathrow airport? The tour that I bought ends in London but does not include transportation from hotel to airport.

We also going to see The Lion King on our last night in London at Lyceum Theatre and I would like to know if a taxi is expensive to ride back to the hotel or if there is another alternative that I can take.

I would really appreciate your comments

Letty
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM

A taxi is the most expensive airport transfer. Cheaper include:

Private car service
Shared shuttle
Heathrow Express train
Heathrow Connect train
Underground (Tube)

Search this forum with these keywords and learn more than you ever wanted to know. The ride from the West End to hotel would probably be in the £5 range.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:12 PM

You can take the Tube to the airport easily because Earl's Court is on the Piccadilly Line and that line goes to Heathrow. In all likelihood, you can take the Piccadilly Line from the theater to your hotel too because I think Lion King is playing in the West End theater district, which means it's close to either Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square, each of which is on the Piccadilly Line.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Lion King is at the Lyceum - nearest Tube will be either Covent Garden or Embankment

Tube will be quicker and cheaper than any other method of travel - and yes people take luggage on it all of the time
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Regular taxi will run around 40/50 pounds to Heathrow or $65/ 80. Unless you don't care about the cost of the regular taxi ask the hotel to arrange a private taxi and ask the price ahead of time...likely 30 pounds or so.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I will check this forum with the keywords you mentioned Robespierre. The travel agency wants to charge me $86 dollars per person for the transportation from hotel to airport.
Sorry to ask this but how safe is to take the Tube at night?
This will be my first time in Europe and I have a lot of questions!!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Where you are going (Central London to Earl's Court), the Tube will be fine at night -- crowded enough that a person or small group inclined to act against you will not be alone in a tube car with you.

Either the Piccadilly from Covent Garden or the District from Embankment will go to Earl's Court.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM

After the theatres close the tube will be full of ordinary people going home just like you. I really don't think you need worry about safety, apart from the basic awareness you need in any big city: there may always be one or two people getting a bit boisterous after one drink too many, but you can walk away from them.

However, both the Lyceum and the Ibis are a fair walk from the nearest tube stations (the Ibis is actually the other side of West Brompton station, three or four bus stops away by the 74, 430 or 190 buses from the Earls Court Road exit of Earls Court tube station - about a mile or so).

Here are the fare rates for taxis:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...axis/1140.aspx

On that basis, I'd estimate around £25 from the Lyceum to your hotel.

By the way, those are the rates for the official black cabs with the funny shape and the yellow lights (no-one else is allowed to pick up passengers on the street, so NEVER allow someone in an ordinary-looking car to pretend to you that they're a cab).
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM
yk

the official black cabs with the funny shape and the yellow lights...
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM

as Patrick says - your hotel is not that close to Earl's Court station. Many of the answers above assumed the hotel is in Earl's Court. The closest station - West Brompton - is not on the Piccadilly tube line. You will be on the District line. From Embankment station (near the Lyceum) you will want a District line train headed towards Wimbledon.

Riding the tube at night after the theatre is totally safe - you will laugh about asking the question after you actually see/experience the tube. I just got back from a trip where I took 5 other ladies to London. None were seasoned London visitors, but after a couple of days most were comfortable riding the tube in 2's and 3's -- or solo . . . . .
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick, that website really helped. The price that you are estimating is per person or total?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM

taxis charge per ride - not per person . . . .
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

thank you janisj. I am so glad to hear that because the travel agency wants to charge $86 per person.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Ok - you need to clarify - Patrick's £25 estimate was for the Lyceum to your hotel -- not from your hotel to Heathrow (which is what I thought was the $86 pp transfer you mentioned)

For your hotel to Heathrow count on between £40 and £50. That would be about $70-$85 total. Still a lot less than $86 pp though.

If you don't want to take the tube to LHR, then I would not take a taxi. I'd book a car service like justairports which will cost approx £30 total.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Got it!!!
Thank you very much