Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help sought from anyone fluent in Italian.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:48 AM
guy

I'm a newspaper editor. My food columnist has submitted a column with the word "risottos" in it. Is the plural "risotti"?

BTW, the word "garnis" also appears. Is "garni" already plural?

Thanks for any and all help.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:30 AM
Phil

Guy:

Yes, the correct plural of "risotto" is "risotti".

"Garni" is French, its plural being "garnis". It means garnished and, apart from its literal meaning, is frequently used to denote a hotel without restaurant but serving continental breakfast.

Hope this helps

Phil.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:36 AM
peter

good rule of thumb nouns ending in a or o are converted to the plural form by changing the ending vowel to i ie moulti risotti

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 08:06 AM
Ed

Actually, Peter, you may have hopped ab it too fast. In Italian, nouns ending in E and o are normally made plurally by replacing the E or o with an i. (These are masculine nouns.)

Italian nouns ending in a, feminine generally, are made plural by changing the a to and e.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 08:30 AM
guy

Thanks. Knew I'd come to the right place.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 08:53 AM
StCirq

Yes, risotti is plural of risotto. As for garni, the plural would be garnis assuming the item it's modifying is masculine. If the columnist erred in saying garni instead of garnie (for a feminine adjective), then the plural would be garnies.
As an editor myself, though, I wonder if it isn't getting rather too complicated to reproduce the foreign language endings. I think I'd try to find a way around the problem, for example, by referring to "multiple risotto dishes" or _____ with its garnish." Of course, without knowing the precise context, I can't be sure this is a workable suggestion.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 04:04 PM
peter

ed thanks for the correction. i tryed to answer the thread as i was going out the door in too much of a hurry and without complete thought. my answer was not complete enough. glad you caught it