Search

Help!! Skye

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM
SDM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! Skye

Anyone know any cheap accomodation in Skye??
Thanks
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:12 AM

You need to say what you mean by cheap. How much per night. There used to be a youth hostel in Broadford but I don't know if it's still there. Do you want to camp or stay in hotels. What town do you want to base yourself.

Will you travel by train/bus or rental car. Your mode of transportation will better determine where you stay. If you're using public transportation then you'll probably want to stay in a town.

Your library would be a great resource for books on Scotland. I would suggest the Let's Go series which give good suggestions on hostels, camping, and inexpensive hotels/B&Bs. If your local library does not own a copy of Let's Go Great Britain then you can order one through inter library loan.

Your posts need to be more definitive to get the help you want. Cheap to some people is $200 per night. It might mean $20 per night to others.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM

SDM - you are new here and have two threads running. The other one has more comprehensive questions - but has a vague title so many folks who know about Skye won't see it.

I am copying that thread to this one so all the responses will be together.

Author: SDM Date: 04/13/2005, 04:38 am

I Need help please, what is the best way to travel from FortWilliam to Skye. I've never really travelled before and would like to know if possible an easy route, also cheap accomodaion in skye and places to visit. Thank you.
Date: 04/13/2005, 05:09 am

Hi! You probably need to repost your message with a title that will alert people to what you're looking for -- something like "Travel from Fort William to Skye." You'll get a lot more responses that way!

Author: cocofromdijon
Date: 04/13/2005, 05:25 am

I've been there (15 years ago so things might have changed...) we didn't have any difficulty to get to skye (with a small car ferry) and find a B&B there. say hello to Nessie for me (loch ness is very close). just take a road map and here you go! in june sunset à 11h30pm! and delicious shrimps eaten by the sea in Portree..humm. bon voyage lucky you! corinne

Author: SDM
Date: 04/13/2005, 05:29 am

Thank you for the help much appreciated, with a little luck i'll get there.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:00 AM

It is easy to get from Ft William to Skye. But how are you traveling - by car, train, bus, on foot?

From the way you worded your question, I'll assume you aren't driving. There is a train that goes from Ft William to Mallaig and then you take a ferry to Skye. FromArmadale on Skye you then take a local bus, or taxi to other parts of the Isle. There are also buses that go from Ft William to Skye via the Kyle of Lochalsh and over a Bridge to Skye.

There are all sorts of accomodations on Skye - from Hostels to inexpensive B&Bs to small hotels. What is your budget?
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:58 AM
KT

There are five "official" (Scottish Youth Hostels Assoc.) hostels on Skye, and there may be private ones, too. SYHA hostels are at Broadford, Uig, Glenbrittle, Armadale, and Kyleakin. See www.syha.org.uk.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:33 AM
rex

I see that you still have your "novice" status (for the most part) - - how do I know that? click on your own name - - a valuable tip that fodors fails to tell you when they send you that initial e-mail confirming your registration.

And it looks like (perhaps) you never found THIS thread after you first posted the request for help with Skye.

Anyhow, now, at least, you can find answers that others give you...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Depends on what you consider cheap, I suppose.

My visit to Skye was made much brighter by staying at the Tir Alainn B&B in Broadford ( http://www.visitskye.com/ ). The host was delightful, rooms were clean, roomy, and comfortable, and it had an incredible view. The cost (5 years ago) was £20 per person.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:46 AM
rex

ttt...