HELP! Rome-Vatican reservations too stressed to do anything

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've reached the wall with my Italy trip. Too frozen to book a Vatican tour with anyone, any company at this point.

I need some experts to tell me what to do, please! I don't want to wake up from an Ambien induced slumber on the plane screaming that I don't have a plan for the Vatican. Okay, I guess the first step is admitting I'm anal retentive

1) I do know I want to pay my respects to John Paul II. I think he's buried in St Peters. Do I need to have a reservation to go here, or can I just show up to do this.

2) We are NOT art majors and we want the beginners education tour on the art work in the museum

3) Looking for someone to explain the history surrounding the Vatican and the architecture of the Sistine Chapel and St Peters.

4) How gruesome in waiting in line in July if I decide just to show up that day or should I just go ahead and book something by faxing the website. Will I hear from them before I go....

Thanks.

Cheryl
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I have used Context Rome tours and thought they were a good value. Or, you can show up and stand in line to get into St. Peter's and to the crypt. For the museum, I think a guide would be helpful. I think the entrance rules have changed lately but being on a tour might still be advantageous. You might even be able to set something up at the TI office when you get there.

Take a deep breath, sip some nice Italian wine and take care of this in the morning!
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM

We booked a tour through Select Italy. It was a 2 hour english speaking tour. We were able to avoid the long line...walked right up and went in. They have a website - check it out.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM

The Vatican is an easy self tour you can do on your own. I paid for the audio earphone guide and walked around myself. the audio guide was great in the Sistine chapel. No, you do not need reservations to enter St. Peter's.

Clea
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM

I second the recommendation for ContextRome - thoroughly enjoyed our Vatican tour. You do not need a reservation to the area where John Paul II is buried - line moves fairly quickly.

Go drink some limoncello!
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

I think the wine and limoncello sound best for tonight. Now now to pick one of those!...thanks...Does anyone have any bad experiences of what not to do?
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM

i too am giong to rome and had the same ??'s. My goal is to zip thru st. petes and then head straight to the sistine chapel museum. I've been to both on a wonderful 1/2 day tour, but this time around i need to just get a quick fix on the highlites. anyone have suggestions on how I can do this Quikly and most efficiently? I am trying to see several other sites in this one 15 hr day. colosseum,trevi fountain, spanish steps, arch of constantine, and maybe the forum. So much to see so little time! HELP
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Skip the Sistene Chapel? Sorry, but the ineffiency of the Vatican means you either pay for a tour or risk a long line.

I found the whole mess SO unenjoyable that the Vatican Museum now goes in the "been there, done that" file. The chapel is beautiful, but not worth the hassle!
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:38 PM

If you want to visit the crypt of the Popes' tombs head to St Peter's early. The line is longer later in the day.

Context Rome has amazing guides that can bring any sight to life. They are a bit more expensive than other guides but worth every penny. If you are on a budget go with the Vatican audio guide or pick up a guide book that has a good walking tour.

You can book a tour of the Vatican Museum direct for the Vatican (which is what Select Italy does at a premium cost) via the Vatican website.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

First of all things are coming together. Last night I chose having wine over the limoncello with a group of friends. Then I came home and booked a tour through Expedia. Okay, don't cringe....But it was a walking tour through the Vatican State, gets you in to the museum between early and includes an audioguide. All that I need for this first trip. It's through Agriletum Tours.

But the BEST news was this morning. In my email was the my reservation for the Scavi Tour! I emailed the Vatican on March 17 and received my reservation this morning, May 9! So everything is in place. No worries. No last minute faxes.

Thanks for everyone's input. I love this website.

All passports in hand, Rome is planned, onto Lake Como planning......

Cheryl
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Re: Looking for someone to explain the history surrounding the Vatican and the architecture of the Sistine Chapel and St Peters:
I strongly recommend reading Ross King's Michaelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling and The Genius in the Design: Bernini, Borromini and the Rivalry that Transformed Rome by Jake Morrissey.