Search

Help request for my UK trip planning

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help request for my UK trip planning

Hi fodoriites,

So I'm nearing my planned vacation to UK with my family (wife and two girls, 9 y.o and 3 y.o) in June. Really getting excited. I've been to London twice before but both business trips and so didn't really do much of sightseeing. I've been reading the postings at this forum for the last few months and it greatly helped in planning the trip- excellent tips for saving time and money, especially from alanRow, janisj, jamikins and many others

Please find my itenerary below for your review and valuable comments.

Planning to spent 5 days in London and 3 days in Edinburgh (attending my MBA graduation ceremony on at Heriot Watt). While in London, staying at a self-catering one bedroom (+Kichen, Living and Bath)accomodation at Pimlico, booked for 8 days (got for £1100) .

23-Jun Thurs
06:35 Arrive at LHR and take pre-booked taxi to Pimlico
13:00 Walk to Westminister
13:30 See Westminister Abbey and precincts
Buy Oyster card for 2 adults (£20 x 2) (PAYG)
15:30 From Westminister take tube to London Bridge
19:00 Borough market (buy food stuff for the trip)

24-Jun Fri
08:00 Walk to Victoria Big Bus Info Centre and board the bus
08:45 Get down at Oxford Circus and Walk along Regent Street
09:00 Shopping at Hamley's and LillyWhites
12:00 From Piccadilly, board the bus and get down at Trafalgar Square
13:00 Lunch near Trafalgar
14:00 Covent Garden
16:00 Reach St. Paul's Cathedral by Big Bus and see its precincts including millenium bridge
17:00 Ride the Big Bus and get down at Tower Hill stop
18:00 Take City cruises from Tower pier and get down Westminster pier
19:00 Reach South Kensington by Tube
19:30 Harrods

25-Jun Sat
08:00 Take tube to Vauxhall from Pimlico
08:30 Take train to Windsor Riverside st.
10:00 Windor Castle tour
13:30 Legoland (tickets purchased incldg. Q-Bot)
18:00 Eton Village
20:30 Take train back to Vauxhall & then tube to Pimlico

26-Jun Sun
08:00 Take Terravision to Stansted
10:00 To Edinburgh by EasyJet (departure at 11:35)
14:00 Check-in at Novotel Edinburgh
15:00 Explore Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile and Hollyrood Palace

27-Jun Mon
08:30 Rent a car from Edinburgh Airport and drive to Highlands
Loch Lomond, The Trossaachs, Callander and Stirling Castle.
21:30 Back at the Hotel

28-Jun Tue
10:00 Graduation Ceremony at Heriot Watt
13:30 Back to Edinburgh City and Check-out
14:00 Edinburgh City sightseeing - Please advice how to spend time.
17:00 Arrive at Train Station for train @ 17:30 - Got tickets for 2 + 1 child for £39 thru' advance reservation!! Thanks to fodors forum)
22:00 Arrive at Kings Cross and take tube to Pimlico

29-Jun Wed
08:00 Walk to Victoria- take 1day peak travel card for 2 Adults
Go to- Tower of London. Reach by opening time and do the Fooriites' suggested routine
09:00 Tower of London
12:00 Lunch
13:00 Take DLR to Canary Wharf (interest to an architect like me)- DLR covered by travel card?
13:30 Canaray Wharf
15:30 Reach Baker Street St. by tube
16:30 Madame Tussauds @ 17:00- 17:30 - tickets purchased online- latesaver ticket with 50% discount. Better deal than 2 for 1 on this.

30-Jun Thu
Morning Trip to Hampton Court and Kew Gardens (train from Vauxhall)
Train to Hampton Court from Waterloo
14:00 Boat trip back to London
15:00 Kensington Palace, Hyde Park and afternoon tea at Orangery
19:00 London Eye (Farewell to London)

01-Jul Fri
09:00 Fly back

A few things I'm unable to include which might be done later are - trip to Cotswold, Oxford, Bath and a few museums. I'll try to squeeze in Tate Britain and British Museum if time permits.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:19 AM

YOu might want to move Borough Market to Friday.It is easily walkable across the Millenium Bridge. YOu can then take the City cruise from the pier on Southbank when you finish. Don't know why you are using Big BUs when you have 20 GBP on your Oyster.That is plenty for buses and tube. YOu can plan your trips at TFL.gov.uk
With kids the ages of yours they might enjoy the Ducktours more on the Thames. Big yellow buses that drive on the city streets then right into the thames where they cruise along
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:21 AM

Will comment further later, but just wanted to add that Borough Market isnt open at 19:00, it closes at 17:00 and everything will be packed up: http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM

23-Jun Thurs
06:35 Arrive at LHR and take pre-booked taxi to Pimlico
13:00 Walk to Westminister
13:30 See Westminister Abbey and precincts
Buy Oyster card for 2 adults (£20 x 2) (PAYG)
15:30 From Westminister take tube to London Bridge
19:00 Borough market (buy food stuff for the trip)

As mentioned before, Borough Market closes at 17:00 on Thursday so if you want to buy food head there for 16:00 or earlier…

24-Jun Fri
08:00 Walk to Victoria Big Bus Info Centre and board the bus
08:45 Get down at Oxford Circus and Walk along Regent Street
09:00 Shopping at Hamley's and LillyWhites
12:00 From Piccadilly, board the bus and get down at Trafalgar Square
13:00 Lunch near Trafalgar
14:00 Covent Garden
16:00 Reach St. Paul's Cathedral by Big Bus and see its precincts including millenium bridge
17:00 Ride the Big Bus and get down at Tower Hill stop
18:00 Take City cruises from Tower pier and get down Westminster pier
19:00 Reach South Kensington by Tube
19:30 Harrods

There is no reason to get the HOHO bus this day – I personally think its overly expensive as you may not be able to hear the guides and it gets stuck in traffic. Take the tube to Oxford Circus and walk to Hamley’s on Regent Street – this will be way faster than taking the bus. Also it’s a short walk to Piccadilly/Trafalgar and you will likely get there faster by walking than by taking the bus!

There are lots of regular buses that go to St Pauls that you catch on the Strand. Are you not planning to go into St Pauls?

Again jump on the tube at Mansion House station to get to Tower Hill rather than the HOHO bus. The money you save will cover these extra trips on the tube/buses.

25-Jun Sat
08:00 Take tube to Vauxhall from Pimlico
08:30 Take train to Windsor Riverside st.
10:00 Windor Castle tour
13:30 Legoland (tickets purchased incldg. Q-Bot)
18:00 Eton Village
20:30 Take train back to Vauxhall & then tube to Pimlico

Sounds like a great day.

29-Jun Wed
08:00 Walk to Victoria- take 1day peak travel card for 2 Adults
Go to- Tower of London. Reach by opening time and do the Fooriites' suggested routine
09:00 Tower of London
13:00 Take DLR to Canary Wharf (interest to an architect like me)- DLR covered by travel card?
15:30 Reach Baker Street St. by tube
16:30 Madame Tussauds @ 17:00- 17:30 - tickets purchased online- latesaver ticket with 50% discount. Better deal than 2 for 1 on this.

Yes the DLR is covered. If your wife is interested in shopping there are malls under ground there.

I would give Madame Tussauds a miss – its just a horrible wax museum!

30-Jun Thu
Morning Trip to Hampton Court and Kew Gardens (train from Vauxhall)
Train to Hampton Court from Waterloo
14:00 Boat trip back to London
15:00 Kensington Palace, Hyde Park and afternoon tea at Orangery
19:00 London Eye (Farewell to London)

Hampton Court and Kew will likely take longer than you expect and may not leave you much time for tea…

Hope this helps – enjoy your trip!
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the Big Bus trip will cost me £60. Maybe it is better to use the PAYG in the oyster card to move around on Friday. In that case, I could go to Borough market on Friday as I will not be constrained by the BigBus and City Cruise timings. I would try to get there by 16h00 since jamikins reminded of its closing time.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, jamikins for your valuable suggestions. Madame Tussauds- I read a lot of bad reviews about it in the forum but I cannot convince my 9 y.o daughter as she wants her photo sessions with the celebrities to show it to her friends!! My £43 gone!!
Are the malls at Canary Wharf expensive?
I've got plan B for the last day to cancel the trip to Hampton Court and instead take an organized trip to Cotwolds and Blenheim Palace (£44 per person).
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Using the regular buses on your Oystercard as an alternative to HOHO:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...itor-guide.pdf

Most of the shops at Canary Wharf are chains, so their prices, like for like, will be the same as in their other stores. Because it's a centre for financial/legal/media businesses, there are luxury shops - high-end jewellers and the like - but also the same sort of chain clothes shops as in plenty of other places in London.
http://www.canarywharf.com/visitus/Shopping/

It also has the Docklands Museum, about the history of the river, trading and docks, which could be more interesting than that description makes it sound (and it's free, apart from the special exhibition on pirates which is on at the moment)
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/docklands/
http://www.canarywharf.com/visitus/Shopping/
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:58 AM

Having carefully followed your proposed itinerary I cannot see anything, other than the trip to Legoland & Hamleys, that will interest the average 8year old or 3 year old. Most of your days are packed with far too much, giving only fleeting impressions and are also scenery orientated. My children have always enjoyed riding ordinary London buses up on the top deck. The number 11 goes from Trafalgar Square right along the Strand to St Paul's.
Long train journey too from Edinburgh to London!!
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Bellini brings up a good point that I never consider, as I dont have kids. Here is a good link for kids:
http://www.londontown.com/Most-Read/London-for-Kids
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:28 AM

Yes, the kids get a raw deal IMO.
How long is the Windsor castle tour? If the kids aren't really into castles then consider skipping the tour on Saturday and just have a quick look at the castle or spend the whole day at Legoland. The earlier you get to the park the better especially on weekends.

End of June will hopefully have some nice weather so if the opportunity arises try to plan some extra time or an impromptu picnic in one of the parks.

I'd only take the London Eye if the weather is good (so be careful about saving it until your last day!). It's a great idea to do this near the start of your trip to get your bearings as lots of major sights can be seen
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Here's the link for the Duck Tours

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

I'm in my 70's andI think I would enjoy it to! Someone above made agood point. The Number 11 regular bus goes just about everywhere the HOHO buses do.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Good point bellini & sassy_cat made. While planning, I was trying to satisfy my fancies thinking that kids will also love it. Being too selfish? I'll spend more time at Legoland, include duck tour and perhaps go for a theatre show meant for kids. Could anyone suggest a show for the kids? Cinderella, Charlie ad Lola?

Thanks
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Lion King?
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you are getting lots of good advice -- but just a hint: You cannot (REALLY can't) plan or stick to a plan w/ definite times like . . .

13:00 Take DLR
15:30 Baker Street St.
16:30 yadda yadda

yes -- you have to make certain train times or curtain at the theatre. But otherwise big cities (and especially London) just don't work like clock work. This IS better than some itineraries we see w/ times like 09:25 xyz, 10:22 visit abc, 11:15 tube to xxx. But it still does sort of look like a military exercise. 'Stuff' happens -- especially w/ two little ones. I'd loosen up a LOT.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:34 AM

13.30-18.00 is only 4 1/2 hours at LegoLand, and you've got to factor in getting there from Windsor, actually getting in to the place and walking to the attractions, plus you'll need to eat at some point.

Also, and this is my main point - you have planned this for a SATURDAY - this and Sunday are the very busiest days of the week. There will be queues. Big, long queues.

4 1/2 hours will be nowhere near long enough for Legoland if you want you children to go on any rides or actually DO anything other than look.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Shrerk is opening soon in LOndon . The kids might enjoy that
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM

Hi there. re: Borough Market. It's not suitable for a large, food shop. Better to go to a large Sainsburys or Waitrose (there is one near London Bridge). B Mkt is only good for specialized purchases - a particular cheese or fresh fish, bread etc,

Lillywhites - nothing special about this store. I would skip it. Selfridges near Marble Arch has more of a wow! factor (you kids may love the huge confectionery and food departments)

Edinburgh: Grassmarket area for pubs and small shops just off the Royal Mile, Carlton Hill for great views over city (just off main street). Try haggis from a chip shop!

Hampton Court _ Kew Gardens in one morning sounds a tall order. I would skip Kew and give yourself more time at Hampton and for lunch etc.

As someone else said you have really packed a lot into this itin. and I hope the 'legendary' British public transport system doesn't wreck your plans!
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

@janisj, the time shown are for planning purpose only.I know this is not going to work. But atleast I can know that how much we are lagging behind!! I'll try to stretch the itinerary a bit more.

@julia, I'll try to be there at Legoland by 12:00 so we can get 6hrs. That'll give us 2 1/2 hrs at Windsor Castle (reach by 09h30). Is that enough?
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM

I think you can cut the time at Windsor Castle even further (1 hour to 1 1/2 hours would be my limit with kids that age) and hopefully you will get to Legoland before 11.30 (according to your times you must have a personal teleporter!). Don't forget lunch .. maybe

I still think you would be better off going straight to Legoland.. arriving later than 10am on a Saturday in June will likely mean queuing to get INTO the park.

After Legoland if you and the family have the stamina for Eton Village then I'm impressed.
I'd be more inclined to find somewhere for a low key relaxed dinner and then collapse on the train back to London.

I see that you've already purchased tickets for Legoland so you can't change the day but it would be in your best interests to go as early as possible!

I would try to build more time to relax into your schedule. After the trip to Scotland you might want some downtime.
Has your wife seen your itinerary? Ask for her input especially regarding the 3 yr old (nap time? bed time? )

I think you sound flexible but it might be a good idea to write down all the things that you really want to do and fit those into a rough itinerary and have a list of possible things you'd like to do if you have the time and energy.
Maybe go to Canary Wharf solo?
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM

PS this is a great place in Eton for lunch or dinner

http://www.gilbeygroup.com/eton/

The location is Eton but it is in fact walking distance from Windsor Castle (just across the river)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -