Help regarding ferry vs. flying

Mar 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Help regarding ferry vs. flying

Hi all,
I'm new here... Am planning a 2 week honeymoon in August 2007. We're flying into Athens, will stay for a day or two, then are going to Crete for 4 days (staying primarily in Chania) and then Santorini (oia) and Naxos (haven't looked into it yet).

My main question is regarding travel between islands/locations. Everyone seems to be doing the ferry thing, but a ferry from Athens to Chania is many hours and I'm prone to seasickness. I found an hour long flight on Aegean for only 53 euros for two of us from AThens to Chania... Is there some reason I shouldn't choose that?

Seems to make the most sense to take a ferry from Heraklion to Santorini and from Santorini to Naxos...

It also doesn't look like there are many flights from Naxos to Athens... does anyone know any different?

Thanks so much for your advice!

jenny
Mar 18th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Take the plane, that's a good price and Aegean is a reliable airlines.

Sky Express flies directly from Crete to Santorini if you don't want to take the ferry.

Only Olympic flies from Naxos to Athens. The planes are small so be sure to book well in advance to insure your seats.
Mar 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!! I very much appreciate your help. I've been looking through all the posts about Greece and your information has really been invaluable.

Booking ferries... is that something I can really accomplish on my own or should I have a travel agent help? The websites for the ferry places seem pretty easy... it also looks like I could have the tickets couried to my hotel in Chania so that I have the tickets in hand prior to the morning of departure.

Also... While staying in Crete, we were planning on staying in Chania the whole time and just renting a car, etc, to explore. Is that a good plan or do you recommend staying in other towns?

Thanks again!
jenny
Mar 18th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Welcome, Jenny!

Just a helpful hint. I opened this thread thinking, from the title, that it was about the Aran Islands in Ireland. You might get more help if you put Greece and or Crete in the title!
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM

You can certainly do the booking yourself. It makes me nervous to think of relying on a courier to deliver the tickets to a hotel. The only ticket you really need to concern yourself with in advance is the ticket for the highspeed ferry between Heraklion and Santorini (there's no ferry to Santorini from Chania), and you should be able to get that yourself in Athens or Chania from a Hellenic Seaways representative using any confirmation number you might get online. Use the Hellenic Seaways website for the best results. Click on "Information" for some details.

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=219

The daily car ferry between Santorini and Naxos is very large and won't be booked up in advance. You can wait until you're on Santorini and go into any travel office to buy your ticket.