Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help refining details with Berner Oberland Pass

Old May 29th, 2024, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm travelling in Sept 2024 with 5 adults. We arrive in Zurich and will spend nights 1-7 in Grindelwald. I have done the research and all of us will get the Swiss Half Price Card and the 8 day Berner Oberland Pass. My question is how do we utilize the BOP to full advantage? The BOP is effective once we're in Bern, so should we depart Zurich airport on a ticket only to Bern using our half fare card and then in Bern board the train to Grindelwald via Interlaken using the BOP? That seems right but having this detail nailed down will greatly reduce Day 1 anxiety after our 11 hour flight into Zurich.

I do have 3 procedural questions. When using our BOP, do we simply step onto any mode of transportation it covers with just the pass? Do we have to register the pass or get a photo taken, etc at first train ride? Should we purchase the 2 passes we each need now or once we're in Zurich?

Last, any feedback/experiences on whether the BOP 1st class upgrade makes good sense, I've heard that many of the transport options are small/regional and there may not be any distinction between first and second class anyway. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old May 29th, 2024, 05:32 AM

If you are in a hurry, reach I'laken via Bern. If you want to save money, reach I'laken via Lucerne - Sarnen - Meiringen (more scenic itinerary anyway).

I suppose thatt after day 7, you will travel several days through other areas of Switzerland, otherwise you wouldn't most probably need a Swiss half Fare Csrd.
Old May 29th, 2024, 05:32 AM

Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.