Reload this Page >

Help please! Layover from Newark to Copenhagen

Old Jul 25th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I have never been to Europe, nor have I ever had to take a layover flight. I booked this flight back in 1/22 for my honeymoon in 9/22. My flight is from Newark, N.J. (US) to Copenhagen and the layover time is 50 minutes in Copenhagen before continuing to Rome. I am stressing out whether that will be enough time or not. We are each checking a bag in Newark, which will automatically be transferred from the first plane to the second. I am just unaware of what will entail at the Copenhagen airport as far as security checks, customs, etc. At this point it will cost each of us $300 just to change flights, plus the difference in whatever the other flight costs. I am contemplating on just purchasing a later flight from Copenhagen to Rome for that day just incase we were to miss the connecting flight. This would ultimately be cheaper than rescheduling my existing flight, but I would like to try and avoid having to do this if you think 50 minutes will be enough time. Thank you
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:18 AM
mjs

Are your two flights on one ticket?
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:22 AM

Your flights are all on one ticket from US to Rome, correct? It is very short, but I have been on some that short when it was the same airline in the same terminal, sometimes on the same plane, but not when it was a different airline, etc. and not now with the chaos some airports are experiencing. Did the airlines schedule this trip as one ticket with connecting flights? Call them and ask if it is a valid connection. Ask their policy if you miss the connecting flight. If they booked it and it is a valid connection, and you miss it through no fault of your own, then they would place you on the next available flight to Rome.

Entirely different if you, yourself, scheduled two separate flights.

It is not absolutely clear, at least to me, which it is.

I have not connected through Copenhagen, so hope someone who has will respond.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. What you have is just a transfer/connection -- not a 'layover'. Is this all on one ticket or is the flight to Rome a separate booking? If it is on one PNR/Booking then even if you miss your connection they will put you on the next available flight. If your arrival is delayed (as long as the delay isn't because of weather) and causes you to miss the connection and you get to Rome more than 4 hours later than scheduled you will be due compensation. Plus September is far enough away -- one or both flights is very likely to change between now and then and this may become a non-issue.

You will go through immigration and security but will remain airside so if everything is on time you will likely make the connection no problem.

(And if your incoming flight is delayed more than 4 hours you'd be due compensation for that too)
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
we were all posting at the same time.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for responding! And Yes, everything was booked on 1 ticket. Same airline for both flights
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 10:58 AM

I don't understand what you mean is the difference between rescheduling your flight versus "buying a new one" from CPH to Rome. Because if you mean buying on a different airline, I really would not do that as your bags won't be transferred most likely.

Presuming this is all on one airline, I'd say there is nothing you can do now but wait and see, as they would have had to offer that time on their website for you to book it. Although I don't see that they have any offering like that myself, I only see a 2:50 connection time at CPH (SAS from EWR to FCO) or even longer. I presume this is SAS airline if you are going through CPH as any delayed compensation rules only apply to EU-operated airlines. You won't get compensation if your flight is delayed due to the airport, either (like air traffic controllers), it has to be due to mechanical problems on that plane which could be foreseen/prevented or strikes, etc. I also don't think it applies for security delays.

But if you are delayed or not, if you have a ticket to Rome on SAS from EWR, you should get there sooner or later based on your current ticket. Unless it's your problem caused by you not showing up at the gate on time or something for reasons other than flight being delayed, of course.

YOu could have just booked a nonstop from EWR to FCO on United.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 11:03 AM

I go thru Copenhagen airport many times a year. I know thatís not the same as a connection, but donít worry, itís a small airport. Itís not like EWR or JFK, itís much gentler, not as many people/gates or terminals. Immigration is a breeze usually. If you miss your flight, youíll be put on the next available which isnít always the next scheduled flight. No need to buy other tickets CPH-ROM. You never know, you might be in time to sample some genuine Danish pastries or open sandwiches, even if you have to take them away. A new open sandwich place us supposed to be opening in August. Or at least a Tuborg. Everyone speaks English & all signage is in English as well as Danish.

Hereís a bit more info on minimum connection times & transfers in Copenhagen:

https://www.cph.dk/en/practical/tran...onnection-time

Last edited by balthy; Jul 25th, 2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 04:57 PM

It should be fine. I've been in and out of Kastrup Airport (Copenhagen) regularly from the early 1970s and into 2019 and have never had a problem. The airport is really small. But, due to the Covid travel situation, who knows? But, hopefully it will still be fine. Happy honeymoon.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Jul 25th, 2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 08:44 PM

Since you are all on one ticket (SAS airline is it?) you are in the best possible position. As others have noted, in this situation if you were delayed enough getting into CPH to miss your connecting flight, the airline would just put you in the next available flight with no additional charge. Worst case scenario would be that you would have to spend a night in Copenhagen, but that doesn't sound so bad! Should that happen, be sure to contact your hotel in Rome to let them know you will be delayed.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:36 AM

The one positive factor is that you are following a single itinerary. The rest of it is dodgy. A 50-minute transfer after a trans-Atlantic flight requires luck at the best of times -- and these are not the best of times in airports It is wishful thinking to believe airlines sell only "legal" connections (who says what "legal" is?) . You may also need to line up for a security check of your carry-on stuff before entering the second plane. And even if you make that plane, your checked luggage may not.
So good luck; you could breeze through, and you probably have a better chance than in mega-airports. But if not, it would be handy to carry a flight schedule to see how the airline can arrange a substitution.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 08:15 AM

Be sure to put a change of clothes and any necessities in your carry on, just in case your luggage does not make it through on time.
As extra insurance, pack one small bag with another outfit in your husband’s checked bag and he should do the same in yours. If one bag is delayed, you have enough to get by until it arrives or if it should be lost, you don’t have to rush to buy things.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Be aware that your flight times may change between now and your departure date. I also booked flights in January for travel in September, and the flight details have changed 4 times already.

Keep an eye on this. The layover may lengthen, but if it gets shorter you should contact the airline and discuss your options. As far as I can tell, 50 minutes is considered a "legal connection" at CPH, but anything less than 45 minutes in your situation is not.