Help! Please!

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 09:54 AM
Sherry

Help! Please!

Maybe it was something I said . . . because I didn't receive any responses -- I'd really appreciate your comments. My fiance and I would like to spend our honeymoon in France and Italy. This will be next April -- let's say for two weeks. I've been to Paris (love it!) and my fiance definitely wants to include time there. Neither of us have been to Italy. Where do you suggest we visit? I'd like to include some time in other areas of France as well. Should we travel by rail? Rent a car? Where in Italy should we visit? We love art, food, architecture, wandering, lazy days, history, shopping. As far as budget, we want a nice honeymoon -- on a scale of 1-10, let's say a 7 as far as our budget. What do you suggest?

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 10:05 AM
Robin

H Sherry--

This isn't exactly an unheardof idea, but you might consider Provence. There are many lovely inns, as well as good restaurants, if you're into all that, and if not, it's beautiful countryside where you can just explore. I have only been to the Luberon area, but I hear wonderful things about St Paul de Vence, and other areas to the south.

My dream trip is start in Spain and work my way down the Mediterranean to Greece. That would make a nice honeymoon-- can you spare a year?

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 10:10 AM
michele

Sherry,
Since you've never been to Italy I would visit the big three: Rome, Florence, and Venice. They are all great cities and April is a good time for each of them. Thumb through a guidebook, I like Karen Brown for a personal touch, to see what appeals to you. (Her books emphasize inns and hotels of charm and character..honeymoon material).

I would also retitle your post with a more specific heading. You'll get a lot of excellent advice.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 02:34 PM
Kristi

I'll second Michele's advice and suggest the big three in Italy, don't bother with Milan. If you're sticking to the big cities, you'll probably find it easier to travel by train. For art, you can't beat Florence, for history, Rome is fabulous, for wandering there's Venice. We spent 8 or 9 days days traveling to those three cities plus Milan.

For other areas in France, you might consider the Loire Valley to visit the beautiful chateuax. From Paris, you can take the TGV train to Tours, about an hour train ride, and pick up a car and spend 2-3 days seeing that region. Or you could try going north into Normandy if you're interested in WWII history. You can take a train up to Rouen, also about an hour train ride, and rent a car there. From Rouen you can visit the D-day beaches, Mont St. Michel, Giverny (which you can also do as a day trip from Paris). Also, if you didn't visit Versailles on your 1st visit, that's an easy day trip from Paris.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 03:06 PM
Peg

Sherry, Yes!! Do Paris for a few days, then Provence for a few and on to the Italian Lakes from there. Save the "big three" in Italy for another trip. Take the TGV from Paris to Provence and rent a car there to see that area and Italy. If that sounds like too much area to cover, just do Paris and Provence and save Italy for another time! Have a wonderful time! Peg

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 05:00 PM
Melanie

Sherry
You have a short time - my advice is don't try to do too much or you'll spend all your time on the road instead of in gorgeous cafes etc.
It's taken me 7 years to convince my husband to stop and smell the roses.
Just do Paris for 4-5 days (we were there 7 and barely scraped the surface), and don't forget the Rodin house/museum, it's the best thing in the city.
Then head to Italy by train. You can snuggle and not worry about directions and make sure you go 1st class, it is your honeymoon! You can't drive around the Italian cities anyway - waste of time and effort when you want to walk and take in the cities.
I agree with the others to a certain extent - Florence (3 days) and Venice (3 days) and Rome (3 days).
See? What else would you have time for?
GO LONGER!
Other option is to ditch the big cities completely and drive from Paris south and just meander - my hubby and I did that on our honeymoon..
through Provence, the Lakes (como etc) and down into Italy. No bookings, just, where do you feel like going tonight?
No big cities, it was terrific.
enjoy enjoy

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 07:28 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sherry, It really epends on what you like, but if it were my honeymoon then I
would pick these 4 romantic destinations

PARIS---4 NITES----train to Nice
COTE D'AZUR--get your car here--3 nites
LAGO MAGGIORE/ORTA---3 nites
TO VENICE VIA VERONA---4 nites--drop car

Fly home from Venice. You can add or
delete based on your total days, but this is a good starting point. You do not want to try too many destinations.
These are all romantic and good for April. Let me know if you need details
for these areas. See my recent post
about" PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO EUROPE"

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 08:14 AM
Merri

Sherry,
We've never been to France (going for the first time this Nov) but my husband and I went to Italy and had a great time. We flew into Milan, rented a car and headed stratight over to the coast (I agree - don't waste your time in Milan - huge city, little charm) to San Remo. We drove down along the Italian Riveria and it is gorgeous!!!! Santa Margerita and Porto Fino are particularly quaint and romantic. We drove down the coast until it was time to cut over to Florence. From Florence to Rome and then ditched the car. We took the afternoon train from Rome to Venice and opted for the dining car - seemed like by the time our leisurely lunch (one of the best meals we had - very surprisingly) we were in Venice. DON"T MISS VENICE! It should be awesome and very romantic. That trip took us 9 nine days inclding travel time from U.S. - we saw a lot of the country and hit most of the top spots and now have a better idea of where we'd want to go back to seee things in more detail. The driving wasn't tiring because the coast is so incredible that you don't even realize you're in the car. Lots of kodak opportunities and lots of little restaurants and cafes that give you more of a local experience. I saved the names of all hotels - we got some great deals at nice places. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you want more info.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 06:03 PM
sandi

Sherry, "Help! Please!" may not be the best way to get answers on the questions you are asking. If you need more info, ask one question on one topic: "Rome-to-Florence: rail or car rental?"
Although you do have helpful info above, I suggest the one specific question on one specific topic approach for posting. But then again its up to you. Anyway, have a great honeymoon!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Sherry

Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it. I've been reading this forum for about a year and now I understand what to title my posts to receive the best answers . . . Thanks! I can't wait to review all these great suggestions tonight with my fiance. I wish we did have more time . . . I really envy Elvira for spending a month in Paris and cooking school! Definitely one of my dreams!

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Joann Tyson

Venice and Florence are the two most wonderful cities I have ever been to. I love Italy so much more than Paris. The Italians are warmer and friendlier and the people are so much better looking and much more polite. They are really lovely. I reccommend Florence for the Art and the food and it is so easy to get around but Venice is just so romantic. Don't go during the very cold months - try to go between August - Septmber or March - May.