Reload this Page >

Help planning trip to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Heidi

Hi-My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy. We will be there in 10 days in August (I'm a little nervous, I've heard bad things about going in Aug. but it is the only time I can go.) We're thinking the cities to see are Rome, Florence, and Venice. Any thoughts on our choices? Also, any suggestions on how to divide our time and things to see? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated, never been to Europe, don't have a lot of time to plan, and not sure where to start! Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:32 PM
sally

Heidi: I like your choices, having been to all 3. I'm not the best one to help w/ your itinerary--depends upon what you want most to see/do. All are easily traveled to via train and all can offer diff things to enjoy. Perhaps Bob or Paulo or others will respond now that this will rise to top. Pick up an Eyewitness Guide: Italy and read abt. each, and perhaps do a search on this forum under Rome hotels, then Venice hotels, etc for ideas on where to stay. Final thought, I would perhaps spend the longest in Rome and divide rest of time in other two as there's so much there--been twice and hardly scratched the surface. Good luck, and you will LOVE Italy! Regards, Sally

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:35 PM
elvira

If you want to do cities, you've picked three gems; trains will connect you easily among the cities. <BR> <BR>You won't see the countryside, but just plan to go back another time. <BR> <BR>Yes, August is high season for tourists, and it'll be wall-to-wall people; just accept the fact and work around it. It's been a long time since I've been to Rome and Florence (hoping to remedy that this year), but was in Venice last fall, and recommend you wander the areas like San Polo, Cannaregio and Dorsoduro to get away from the tourists. Other posters can help with those areas in Florence and Rome. Remember: tourist buses and boats usually unload after 10am, so get to museums at opening to avoid the hordes. <BR> <BR>If you don't want to deal with crowds of tourists, then avoid the cities and go to Abruzzo, the undiscovered part of Italy (do a search on this forum for recent postings about this area).

Old May 16th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Heidi

Thanks for the ideas. The more I read the more excited I get to go! To see the smaller towns outside of Venice, like San Polo, is it best to rent a car or can we do it by bus? I appreciate all your suggestions!

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Annie

Hi Heidi - we are also going to Italy for the 1st time - August 21-Sept 3..I also heard it's the worst time to go..crowded/very hot..etc..but with us too it's the only time we have. Here is our itinerary: 2 nights in Rome, a 3 day tour to Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento & Capri, a week at a villa(incl. rented car) just outside of Florence, then 2 nights in Venice..we'll travel by train between cities.. Because it's our 1st trip, we used travel agent to book flight, hotels, train, tour..from home. <BR>I really look forward to this trip - there's a lot of info. on the web & through this forum..Have a great trip! <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 08:38 PM
steve

Heidi, check out my web site. There's lots of info on visiting Europe, including 2 trips to Italy. <BR> <BR>Here's the URL: <BR>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733 <BR> <BR>As for dividing up your time, you don't have many options if you want to do Rome, Florence, and Venice. The only additional option I suggest is the Tuscan countryside, and Siena. You didn't mention if you are driving. If so, you can visit the mountain cities, and Siena on the way from Rome to Florence. I suggest the 3 towns of Pienza, Montalcino, and Montepulciano, which are right near one another.

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Debbie

Heidi, You should be excited-Italy is fabulous even when crowded. I would suggest flying into Rome staying 4 days then three in Florence and 3 in Venice. If you want to see San Gmignano or a bit of Tuscany then cut the Venice part down by a day and spend an extra day outside Florence. It really depends on what you enjoy. If you want to rent a car and explore for a day or two in Tuscany plan that but if you are big into architecture and museums spend more time in Florence. Just keep reading books and it will all come together. Not to mention that once you have been there you will want to go back so don't treat this as if it were your last trip and try to do too much. <BR> <BR>Be sure to book ahead for your museums in florence the wait for the Uffizi is 4 hours unless you have a reservation. Also start booking your hotels now the good ones fill up fast. Try www.venere.it and do a search on this board for hotels that look interesting, they have probably been mentioned at some point.

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Heidi

Thanks so much for the help--what great ideas and advice. A villa outside Florence--must look into that idea! Maybe a trip to see where they make Chianti--I appreciate the suggestions.