Help Planning first visit to england

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help planning our families first trip to england.
I have narrowed it down time wise to May,. September or December.

We are a family including a boy 10 years old, a girl 13 years old and my 79 year old Dad.

what should we see?
My dad wants to see the American Air museum in England.

what is the handicapped situation in england?my dad wants with two crutches and sometimes uses a wheel chair.

thanks for all of your help

melissa
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Melissa, I'd go to England in May or September. I'm guessing you're talking about the Amer Air Museum in Duxford (near Cambridge). If you're staying in London, you can this visit on a day trip. The website (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk) addresses accessibility for those in wheelchairs which doesn't appear to be a problem. Check their calendar or contact them to see when airshows are scheduled. I'll bet you dad would love that.

I wouldn't choose Christmas for a visit. You've undoubtedly seen the replies to your other post that so much is closed around the holidays.

Are you planning to stay in London? That will dictate what people recommend you see.

Have fun planning your trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I guess that for a first trip to england we would stay in london. i would think that we would have about 8 days in london .

Melissa
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Melissa, If you're going to base yourselves in London, seriously consider renting an apartment for your stay. You'll have more room to spread out than in the typical shoebox London hotel room and the advantage of a kitchen for eat-in meals (usually take away food for us) and a washer/dryer.

In one of your other messages, you mentioned worrying that your boy might be bored. I doubt that will be the case but for starters investigate: the Natural History and Science Museums (both very kid interactive), the Jack the Ripper Walk (evenings with London Walks), the London Eye, a Beefeaters tour at the Tower of London, and (not my favorite but kids love it) Madame Tussaud's.

Outside of London but within a day trip is Warwick Castle. It's a bit more commercialized than many of the historic sites, but that's a draw for kids. Also consider Legoland (near Windsor). Your boy may be on the upper age range for enjoying that.

The weekly publication, Time Out, has a lengthy section of what's on for children. Also, Time Out has in the past published Kid's Out: London. Check their website to see if it's available.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Melissa:

I have been to the USAAF museum in Duxford as well as the American Military Cemetery in Cambridge. Lots of good information by poster Dusty Trai1s 3/08/04 under 'Are there old AFF bases left'.

Lots of information at www.americanairmuseum.com
Air shows are scheduled in September and October of this year.

Bes wishes.
Sandy
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:54 PM
epi

I completely agree that you should rent an apartment in London. That will make an enormous difference to your family enjoyment. However be careful about accessibility for your father. Can he walk about 4-5 stairs which is likely to be needed to go in the front door of many apartment buildings? Also remember to check for elevators if the apartment is above the ground floor. Remember that in England, there is a ground floor, then a first floor which we call second floor. If you can't find an accessible apartment, check with Citadine apartment-hotels.
Your kids may also like Greenwich, and Hampton Court.
I also agree May or September. Things in the UK kind of fall aprt if there is any snow. Sightseeing is more fun in warm weather. A word of warning: England is VERY expensive, particularly restaurants. Go equipped with the names of less expensive restaurants, and do try to have a kitchen available.
I think you will have a wonderful time. We went to Enland for the first time when our kids were the same age as yours (a long time ago) and we had a very enjoyable trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM

Melissa - I hope I don't sound to unaccomodating to the disabled, but realistically, if your father cannot do much walking and you have to use a wheelchair for him, I think you are bound to experience a very limiting trip built around his constraints and I wonder the value of taking the kids and hubby along too.

If I wanted to take my dad on a special trip like this I would consider one shorter trip with the two of us and then a separate trip with hubby and the kids...unless you are willing to leave him in the apartment at times while your family does some sightseeing which sounds as unkind as leaving him home.

Being one who has traveled with kids this age, things can get tense enough at time just keeping the kids happy. Also, I very much appreciate budget limitations, but I would still factor in that you could see as much of London in 4 days without him, as you could see in 8 days with him. Those four nights lodging and meals for a family of 5 might just offset the cost of the one extra round trip airfare for yuu to travel twice. Just a thought.

I do so hope you have a great trip, however you go. (The apartment idea is a great one).
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

We have done other trips since 2004 and now are very much considering going to england.how would I find a apartment to rent?

Melissa
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Melissa,this is an old unrelated thread.Why don't you post your question about renting a flat on a new post with a more suitable headline.
That said I have used this company for an upcoming rental in London for next month.
http://www.regentsuites.com/