Please help me with Italy Itinerary!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our first trip which will be Oct. 5. returning Oct. 20. We will be traveling with another couple.

Fly to Naples via Rome. -3 nights Naples

train to rome -4 nights

train to Tuscany - rent car-4 nights

train to venice-3 nights Fly home from Venice

Does this seem like to much moving around? Would you recommend that we stay shorter/longer at any of the areas?

Has any one stayed at Castello di Ripa d'Orcia in Tuscany?

Thanks for any and all help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: brotherleelove2004
Date: 01/14/2006, 02:35 am
Repost this with a mention of Italy in your subject line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Looks pretty good to me. You wouldn't consider stopping in Rome first since you are actually flying there and then doing Naples to Tuscany? Or is that not feasible transport wise? That appears to be the only back track, but the times in each place look pretty fine to me.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:54 AM
ira

Hi kt,

Looks like a good plan.

Have a nice visit.

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds well thought out and very doable to me. As to whether this is too much moving around, that depends on the travel styles of you and the other couple. It's definitely something to talk about well in advance of the trip. IMO, you have given yourself enough time to see most of the major highlights in each region, although you'll have to maintain a pretty good pace to cover Rome's. Have fun and please report back when you're home. Dave
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Why three nights in Naples?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:38 AM
ira

Hi d,

Why not 3 nights in Naples? It's a great town.

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:48 AM

My wife and I were in Italy for 2 weeks in May of 2001. We stayed in a villa in Tuscany for a week (rental car from airport in Rome), 2 nights in Venice (train from Florence), 3 nights in Positano (flew to Naples and rented a car) and 3 nights in Rome (train from Naples). It was a whirlwind 2 weeks but we loved every minute of it. I think you have a good plan and you will have a great time.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 07:53 AM

That Castello is too remote for my taste. I would stay in San Quirico or Montalcino, both are very close. Or, Stay in Bagno Vignoni at a spa hotel.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM

There's nothing wrong with Naples--you can have an OK time there. But it doesn't have as much as some other places in Italy. I'd take a day from Naples and add it to Venice.

Actually I'd skip Naples altogether this trip and spend all 5 nights in Rome, 4 nights in Tuscany and 5 nights in Venice.

I've had enjoyable times in Pittsburgh, USA, but I wouldn't recommend spending time there at the expense of time in NYC or San Francisco.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. We have since found a flight directly into Naples. We are not spending all our time in Naples, we are going to Capri and Salerno too.

Any comments about staying in Capri versus Naples?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM
mjs

I think you might want to rethink your itinerary abit. On first glance it seems that your plans seem reasonable with your 3-4-4-3. However, trying to do Naples, Capri, Salerno and in the time you have out of Naples is probaly pushing it. You have also not mentioned the Amalfi coast and Pompeii which are major attractions in the area and would take even more time for a visit. The question of Naples vs Capri leads me to me suggest you read up alittle more on your possible destinations. Naples is a large and rather intense southern Italian city while Capri is a resort island. Its like asking Boston or Nantucket or Los Angeles or Catalina. It all depends on what you want to do.
I would not recommend 3 nights in Naples for your first visit to Italy. It is not the most interesting part of this area for a first time tourist IMHO and probably not the best introduction to Italy. You could go to the Amalfi coast for three nights and stay somewhere like Sorrento to rest up from your transatlantic flight and do day trips to the Amalfi, or Pompeii or Naples or Capri etc. Unfortunately with only 3 nights you will only have 2 full days to explore this area as you will be jet lagged on your first day and it will be at least noon before you make it to your hotel. You could go straight to Capri and veg but would not use Capri as a base to explore the area. In any case I do not think you have enough time to really explore Naples, Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi coast and Salerno. This southern Italy start to your vacation is still reasonable if you understand your limitations.
A suggestion to skip this southern leg of your trip is also not unreasonable and would allow you more time in Tuscany. Could consider 4 or5 nights in Rome 6 or 7 nights in Tuscany with a few days without car in Florence, than 3 or 4 nights in Venice.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Good advice. 3 nights in Naples would not be suggested
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

I agree. I wasn't planning to spend the whole time in Naples, that's just where I was flying into. After a long day of flying I thought I'd stay in Naples that night and then go to Sorrento or Capri for the other 2 nights. Where would you suggest? Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I really appreciate it!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:15 AM
ira

Hi Kt,

>...After a long day of flying I thought I'd stay in Naples that night and then go to Sorrento or Capri for the other 2 nights. <

You might as well keep going. There is bus service from NAP to Sorrento, or you could hire a limo (about 100E).

See http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

You can do a daytrip from Sorrento to Capri or to Pompeii.

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you know how long it would take to get to Sorrento from Naples. Can you recommend a place to stay that's under $200 a night.

Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:44 PM
mjs

I too would go directly from the Naples airport to Sorrento. I have never flown into Naples so I have no more than a idea where the airport is or how long it will take you to get to Sorrento. I think the airport is north of the city so will guess that it will take you 45 minutes to an hour by car/taxi to Sorrento. Public transportation may take much longer if you have to get into the city to catch a train to Sorrento. Might be a bus line from the airport to Sorrento but I have no idea. If you have a long journey to get to Naples I would splurge abit and hire a car and driver to pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel. You might even wish to use the car and driver to help you tour Positano, Amalfi, Ravello and Pompei. Your time is precious and a car/driver would make your touring more efficient. We rented a driver with a Mercedes Van for 4 of us a few years ago and it worked out quite well. Splitting the cost with two couples will help keep the cost somewhat reasonable.