Reload this Page >

Help..Planning a trip along the Amalfi coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Julia

Last week in September first week in October, myself and a friend want to experience the Amalfi coast.<BR>No idea how or where to start and any suggestions/experiences would help.<BR>Would like to fly, drive and use trains. Want to stay in a few different hotels (type and price)<BR>Overall really want to experience the place not do a dictated guide.<BR>Looking forward to responses....

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Ian

Julia: You might want to be a bit more specific about your plans. Where are you flying into? Where are you taking the train from/to? What do you want to do? Etc. Try some searches on this forum. There is a wealth of info - trip reports etc - for Amalfi coast, Sorrento, Capri et al already posted & available.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Diane

Julia, do put some ideas in the search part of travel talk and highlight Italy. That way you will get a basis of ideas to get started. Then post another question that is more specific, and you will get some help.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:34 PM
az

Julia--do text search on: "Rome/Amalfi Coast/South driving, hotels, sites".<BR>you are wise to avoid the highly structured tours/guides; the way to enjoy the A.C. is to be flexible. <BR>you are going to have a wonderful experience!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:23 PM
sede

I was there in May. It's a great place. It was less pricy than the large cities in Italy. I don't know if they'll edit this but check out Ricksteves.com,(go to the guidebook and then the comment section by users) I used the guidebook and it was great. Stayed at Hotel Mignon in Sorrento - it was $70euros for a double bed with private bath and included breakfast and air-conditioning. I couldn't believe it was a no star hotel. It was clean and modern. When in Sorrento - have dinner at the Gatto Nero - the Risotto di Mare and the Seafood pasta were the best I had in Italy. I wouldn't drive though. The roads through Amalfi are narrow. The public bus is efficient, sit on the right side and get a beautiful view (on the way to Positano). <BR>They really value tourism there - clean, and there are no beggers ( they ship them out very quickly).<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
Julia

Thank you for your responses.<BR>New to this ! More specific information obviously needed.<BR>We'll be going on September 23rd(ish) and flying into Naples. Would really like advice on what type of route to follow. Willing to travel by any means but want to experience as much as possible. Have just stayed in the Farol Design Hotel outside Lisbon and would love to do the equivalent(just for a few days - price was not cheap!) somewhere along the Amalfi coast. Really looking for can't miss places and hotels. Would also like to go to Capri etc etc<BR>Hope this is more specific