Help plan Tuscany

Search

Help plan Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help plan Tuscany

I will be leaving Rome on Monday 3/15 AM. Planning to drive up to Florence for a three night stay. Any ideas where to stop and explore on our way north? We will be reversing direction on Thursday 3/18 and would like to visit Assisi, Montepulciano and Montalcino (Vin Nobile and Brunello)and some other hill towns.
I would appreciate any help in planning our route north and south
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Take the S 222 between Siena and Florence. It goes through great town in Chianti
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Train to Florence--spend your time there--then get you car as you leave and spend several days at a centro location in Tuscany. Drop the the car at orvieto on your return and train into Rome. You do not want a car in Florence.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion BobTN, but The idea was to drive up into Florence in order to reach the hill towns on the way up and down. I will be staying outside Florence Centro (at the Regency, P. Massimo D Azeglio) so having a car in Florence will not be so bad. I assumed that we would spend a full day in the city center,with no use for the car, and then spend a day in Lucca/Pisa, returning to Florence in the evening.
I was hoping that one of you "Tuscan sages" could suggest interesting places to stop.
We have already done the train to Florence a few years back, and were hoping to see Tuscany a bit differently this time.
BTW, I read and enjoyed your travelog,you must keep copious notes. you seem to know the area quite well.
Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:44 PM

How about stopping in Pitigliano. Its about half way btw Rome and Florence. March 19 is a local holiday - the San Giuseppe torch procession in the Piazza Municipio. But any day of the week, it's a great town to visit.