Yet one more Italy itinerary!

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet one more Italy itinerary!

Hello everyone,
I have been learning so much from everyone on this site! Just wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions about my 2-week trip to Italy in May. It's a big surprise for my boyfriend's birthday, and it will be his first time in Italy, (I have only been to Milan and Venice) so I will definitely do my best to fit in as many must-see towns as possible (Orvieto, Montepulciano etc.) but I have had to make decisions on places to lay our heads, and that has been tough with all the wonderful choices! Any comments will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2 nights Florence (Monna Lisa or Beacci Tornabuoni?)
2 nights Lucca (Villa Principessa)
2 nights Siena (Palazzo Ravizza)
2 nights Bevagna (L'Orto Degli Angeli)
3 nights Rome (Hotel Locarno)
2 nights Positano (undecided)
1 night Naples (flight leaves at 6:45 a.m.!)

Perhaps I should do 3 nights in Florence?
Can I do 3 nights in Positano and do an early morning drive to Naples without kiling ourselves to make the flight?
Any suggestions for Positano hotels that are lovely and inviting, but not quite as pricey as Le Sirenuse or Il San Pietro?

Thank you all!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
rex

Aggressive. Okay for younger folk.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
ira

Hi kitty,

Aggressive? Yes.

I am afraid that I must disagree with my learned colleague; it is NOT "Okay for younger folk".

I have done this kind of trip.

Somewhere in Europe a group gathered around me wondering if I was about to die, was drunk, or was doped up.

I was just exhausted.

Decide on what is important? Focus on that.

A week in Venice and Florence, followed by a week on the Amalfi Coast would be terrific.

Fly into Naples or Venice and out the other.

My trip report might help you.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
jenifer

Another vote for a similar idea:

You've said that because it's his first trip to Italy you want to see as much as possible. Why?

I would think that since it's his first trip to Italy (and a surprise for his birthday) you'd want it to be as memorable as possible, not as busy as possible. If you both love Italy, you'll go back and see some of the things you've missed. And if you don't, well, then seeing more things in a short time won't make it any better.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:31 PM
rex

Learned? Moi? Well, okay, we'll just agree to disagree. I still think it's okay. Heck I would even do it. Wouldn't talk my own daughters out of it either.

But what exactly is the surprise? And when does it get revealed?

I wouldn't be in favor of a kid of any age traveling with a partner and not involving the partner on how long to be gone, etc.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...I am leaning towards doing the Amalfi on another trip. I'm still thinking of starting out in Florence, ending in Rome, via all the usual highlights. I don't think I can squeeze Venice in either, as it's a little too much traveling. As for it being a surprise, we are adults (it's his 30th), and I'm springing it on him a few days before, all logistics hopefully squarely in place by then.
Thank you again!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:01 AM
ira

Hi galaxy,

It would be ashame to Go to Florence and not see Venice.

I suggest that, since you are leaving out Naples and Positano, you take those 3 nights and go to Venice.

I also suggest taking one night from Lucca and adding it to Florence. You could even do Lucca as a daytrip from Florence.

If you do that you could drop off your car in Orvieto and spend the night there before going to Rome.

I Sette Consoli
(Pzza Sant?Angelo 1A phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911) is an excellent restaurant with a beautiful garden.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:56 PM

if you want a romantic trip, do the positano/amalfi coast. . especially in may when the weather will be nice.

i've never been to florence but am told and keep reading that it's not all it's cracked up to be - unless you're doing the tuscan vineyards and country drive.

why not make a list of the top three objectives of your trip (ie: relax, architechture, history, romance, etc.) and then plan around that.

no matter what you decide, i would try to cut your itenirary in half and make each stay longer. you will be able to relax and enjoy so much more. . and really take it all in.