Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Places to stay on Crete, Rhodes and Samos?

Jun 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Any ideas on places to stay in Crete, Rhodes, Samos? We will be only a night or two at each and would like a budget lodging that is as nice and special as possible.We would like a nice taste of each island in our short stay.

We are in our 50's with a sophisticated 6yo and will be seeing some of the historical sites on our way to Turkey. I need to plan it over this week end ( we are in Greece now) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Jun 14th, 2007, 05:12 AM

In Samos my favourite hotels are:
Arion hotel in Kokkari,a resort style hotel with fabulous views and excellent service www.arion-hotel.com

and the Glycoriza near Pythagori sa www.glicorisa.com.gr
Jun 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM

In Rhodes Old Town we stayed at the Pink Elephant Pension right inside the walls and LOVED it!! "Landlady" is a chic Milanese; many French stay there. There's a web-page to Google.

If available, ask for rooms on "first" floor or Ground floor front (Ground floor rear a little dark).... breakfast included & she'll include yogurt/honey if asked.
Great walking thru stone-arched "alleys" to the more touristic area... yet v. quiet at night. If u want to go to Lindos, the public bus is VERY convenient, just outside the Old-Town walled Gate -- ask the hotelier.
In Samos, if you want to stay in Vathy and not at a "resort" type hotel, I LOVE Hotel Pythagoras, a small family hotel just up from Harborside, with balconies on Vathy Bay. It has a cafe, lovely patio, looks down on a tiny beach your child will enjoy. The amount u will save, compared to a Luxe resort, will pay for a car-rental to zoom around the western part of the Isle.

No idea where you plan to stay in Crete and 1-2 nights stay in what is virtually an entire COUNTRY is misguided, IMHO.

However, if u do plan to stay in Chania, try for something on the Western wall on Theotokopoulu street, since it's a no-cars street, quiet, yet just steps from the harbor & the view. Examples: El Greco Hotel, Iason Studios (former has buffet breakfast, latter has kitch'ette, good when u have a youngster).
Jun 14th, 2007, 12:06 PM

In Rhodes I really liked Niki's Rooms and thery were cheap aout 30 euros but very comfortable.http://www.nikishotel.gr/generalview.htm
Jun 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all , this is really a big help and I appreciate it. Keep them coming if anyone else has ideas.I love it!

I know travelerjan, that it is not enough time to do Crete or any of them full justice, but even with a muti year open ended trip like ours , there is only so much time and too many wonderful places to see.

I would need a few more life times to do every where fully. We spent 5 months in a 15th century village in Spain and I feel that was only a taste.

We have been in Santorini for 12 days and I could easily spend months here as we are in a heavenly, peaceful spot.Alas, Turkey,Croatia and Prague etc etc call..so I can only spend a few days in Crete.

Who knows tho, I was only suppose to spend a few days in Santorini.Since we are always traveling, we need to take our recover, rest and assimilate time as we go. This spot was perfect after fast travel thru Italy and Athens ( we will do more of mainland Greece and Italy later)

We also have the complication that we are primarily traveling by small RV, so when we are not in it and using small hotels/apts/b&b's etc, we are paying double usually ( for storing the RV and separate lodging). I know there is great camping in Crete, but we have decided to not do it this time.

So time outside of the RV travel, needs to be fast travel and budget prices ( or very slow like the case of wintering like we did in Spain for extremely low cost of monthly off season rates).

Even on an open ended, multi year trip around the world, choices must be made and one must plan most of it on the move which is really different than weeks of holiday.We have been in Europe for ten months and have lots to see before the weather gets bad and we go back to our Spanish village.

I am just thrilled that I can get to Crete as I was afraid I was going to have to eliminate it.
Jun 15th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Anastasia Studios in Chania are budget, modern and nice most with kitchens at 21 Theotokopoulou - 73131
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! Any ideas for a place to stay our first night in Heraklion,Crete?

I think we will have to stay there the first night and then head out to knossis and onto chania for our second night.
Jun 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM

I've stayed at Hotel Kronos in Heraklion, right on waterside, you can see the ferry quay from there, less confusing to get to than many other hotels, google its website, ask for balcony room on water if available, in May it was 60 E for a triple, 45 for a double w.o. breakfast. Parking available in small parking lot in back or on the roadway right in front. Good ouzeries about 100 yards to your right as u face water (not the cafes at waters edge, the ones on the land side).
Jun 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelerjan! You are full of good information adn I really appreciate all the details.
Jun 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM

For Samos - consider the Marista Bay Hotel, I posted a detailed review on tripadvisor, photos included
Jan 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM

A very good resource for place to stay in Crete is cretetravel.com. My husband and I used this extensively for our trip to Crete in 2006.