Sep 19th, 2002, 04:11 PM
daphne

Help pick a London hotel please

Need help picking a London hotels for 4 nights in Dec. Here are the finalists:

Churchill Inter-continental
Sheraton Park Lane
London Hilton on Park Lane
Millennium Knightsbridge

My husband & I tend to like more modern or pempering hotels, e.g., the Library in NYC, the Ritz in LA or Inn at the Market in Seattle. But I always find deals for these US hotels while the London equivalents I found are more than what we want to pay. May splurge to stay at the One Aldwych (extra $150/night), is it worth it?

So among the listed 4 that fit our budget, which one is best location, most comfortable & tasteful? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Sep 19th, 2002, 04:24 PM
the

I stayed at the Sheraton Park Lane 2 years ago and it was very nice. Good location just down from a tube stop and right across from Green park.

Just got back from London in August of this year and stayed at the Millennium Knightsbridge. Good location, closer to the tube station than the Sheraton Park Lane and very close to Harrod's....but I didn't like the Millennium Knightsbridge nearly as well as the Sheraton Park Lane. Had a more sterile feel to it than the Sheraton Park Lane.

Went into the London Hilton and thought it looked very nice. Heard that the rooms are very large. We caught a tour bus to Oxford at the London Hilton.

I don't know a thing about the Churchill Intercontinental.

We asked for a 250 sq. ft. room at the Millennium Knightsbridge and you pay more for this. If you don't specify they will put you in a 120 sq. ft. room. Too small.

The London Ritz is just down from the Sheraton park Lane and you will walk by it everyday going to the tube station. If you can afford 500 - 1000US/night then book there.

So, from my experience, and my wife and I like nice accomadations as you do, I would recommend the Park Lane over the Millennium Knightsbridge.

Sep 19th, 2002, 04:24 PM
the

I stayed at the Sheraton Park Lane 2 years ago and it was very nice. Good location just down from a tube stop and right across from Green park.

Just got back from London in August of this year and stayed at the Millennium Knightsbridge. Good location, closer to the tube station than the Sheraton Park Lane and very close to Harrod's....but I didn't like the Millennium Knightsbridge nearly as well as the Sheraton Park Lane. Had a more sterile feel to it than the Sheraton Park Lane.

Went into the London Hilton and thought it looked very nice. Heard that the rooms are very large. We caught a tour bus to Oxford at the London Hilton.

I don't know a thing about the Churchill Intercontinental.

We asked for a 250 sq. ft. room at the Millennium Knightsbridge and you pay more for this. If you don't specify they will put you in a 120 sq. ft. room. Too small.

The London Ritz is just down from the Sheraton park Lane and you will walk by it everyday going to the tube station. If you can afford 500 - 1000US/night then book there.

So, from my experience, and my wife and I like nice accomodations as you do, I would recommend the Park Lane over the Millennium Knightsbridge.

Sep 19th, 2002, 04:29 PM
the

dapne

One more thing:

The London Hilton is just around the corner from the Sheraton Park Lane. It is on the major bus routes and faces Hyde Park, a great location to start from.

Sep 19th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Leslie

First, what exactly is your budget per night and what are the rates for the hotels you mentioned?

Secondly, londonhotelreservation.com does have some specials in December for 4 and 5 stars at very low rates. One of the hotels featured is the Bailey, with rates as low as 85 pounds per night. There are also suites available at the Ritz for 240 pounds per night.

You might also look into the Thistle hotels (www.thistlehotels.com), either the Royal Horseguards or Charing Cross.

Sep 19th, 2002, 04:51 PM
the

dapne

One other note, my wife and I stayed at the Inn at the Market in Seattle too and loved it.

Sep 19th, 2002, 06:43 PM
daphne

Thanks for the helpful comments. My budget is under 200gpd/night. I think we'll go with one of the Park Lane properties and forget One Aldwych.

I figure we'll be out all day/night in London. We went to Hong Kong last Dec, stayed at 2 separate hotels - a 4 star standard room and another 5 star in a suite. Ended up spending so much time out (and so tired when we came in at night) that we barely had time to appreciate the difference.

By the way, "the" - we seem to have similar tastes in hotels. I'm also thinking about the Fitzwilliam in Dublin (same trip after London), you wouldn't happen to have stayed there would you? I'll also post a question under Ireland.

Thansk to all. Daphne

Sep 20th, 2002, 04:11 AM
daphne

Thanks for the helpful comments. My budget is under 200gpd/night. I think we'll go with one of the Park Lane properties and forget One Aldwych.

I figure we'll be out all day/night in London. We went to Hong Kong last Dec, stayed at 2 separate hotels - a 4 star standard room and another 5 star in a suite. Ended up spending so much time out (and so tired when we came in at night) that we barely had time to appreciate the difference.

By the way, "the" - we seem to have similar tastes in hotels. I'm also thinking about the Fitzwilliam in Dublin (same trip after London), you wouldn't happen to have stayed there would you? I'll also post a question under Ireland.

Thansk to all. Daphne