HELP ! paris batignoles area 17th arr.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

HELP ! paris batignoles area 17th arr.

anyone got any info about this area? i hear it's wonderful but can't get specifics. thanks !
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM

I found all of this in about 4 minutes on Google:
-------------------------------------

This is in French, but simple enough to follow:
http://www.marchescouvertsparis.com/...tignolles.html

A description of the area:
http://linktrim.com/226

and another:
http://www.parisbestlodge.com/batignolles.html

comments from metropoleparis.com:
"...Back on the Rue Brochant I head southwest towards the Square des Batignolles, which is a sizeable park with a bit of sun shining on it. From being an empty lot where the Fêtes des Batignolles were held, it was transformed in 1862 by Haussmann's park crew, led by Alphand, into Napoléon III's idea of a London 'square,' or park.

It has interesting, period park items - chalets, kiosks, a glass-enclosed lookout, a little river and a little waterfall and little lake, with a tall, black stone sculpture of vultures standing in it - sort of matching a live pair of sleepy black swans.

East from the park, the Rue Legendre passes the Sainte-Marie des Batignolles church, built in 1828 by Molinos and enlarged in 1834 and again in 1851 by Lequeux. The place in front of it is generous and placid - witha strange traffic option of being able to go left or right.

The Rue Legendre, which began life as the Rue d'Orléans in 1846, was once part of the 'Chemin de Monceau à Saint-Ouen.' After the church it crosses over the rails leading to Saint-Lazare, to Batignolles proper - which puts me right out of where I think Clichy is - or ought to be..."
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:25 PM

susela:

Try this url:
http://www.intransit-international.c...ment_17th.html

then use its links to hotels, shops and other web pages
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks, travelnut, i appreciate the help !
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

hey, zola, thanks !
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:07 PM

de rien. Bon voyage.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:26 PM

I lived in that area. It's rather bourgeois, but the 17th is a quarter that can change from one street to the other, so you'd have to be more specific on the street (anything North/East of Place de Clichy or between Pereire and Brochant can be funky, but the rest tends to be posh). On the whole, it's a nice area, a little off-center but with great bus/metro connections, markets and stores/bistros.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM

I like the 17th. We stayed on the very edge of it last September and went there to eat dinner. It's not as glamorous as many other arrondisments in Paris--no expensive little boutiques like you'd find in the 7th, for example. Nonetheless it has a nice feel to it and you won't be tripping over other tourists as you would elsewhere. We found it an easy walk over to Montmartre and of course the Clichy stop on the Metro will get you anywhere you want to go very quickly.

If you want to read some description and see pictures, take a look at this website. It's for an apartment rental (the owner sometimes posts here) but the extra information about the 17th is worth reading. www.rentalapartmentparis.com
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Nice links to the area.