Help on Rome Hotels

Old May 31st, 1997, 02:19 PM
Joyce

Help on Rome Hotels

For our trip to Italy in October, I think I have narrowed our hotel search to the following four: Kennedy, Prati, Rimini or Julia. Would appreciate any comments from anyone who has stayed at any of them. Or if you have any better suggestions in the $100 +/- range I'd love to hear about them. Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 5th, 1997, 09:03 AM
Tricia

Not an expert yet but have learned that European hotels charge by the number of people in the room where as in US its a flat fee per nite with a few dollars extra for extra people. Therefore, I like the Holiday Inns in Europe as they charge approx $90 a nite for a room in Rome in August (Oct may be less) and that sleeps 4 (2 dbl beds) Also saw in my British Airways travel guide a darling hotel in Rome that charges $84 for a single and $50 for twin in high season and oops they charge more in Oct $68/104. The name is RIVER (Via Flamino 39/41)??-"small modern hotel with 44 rooms located near the Piazza del Popolo-offers good basic accom- I think with the twin rate you multiply that times 2 people (and with a triple rate you multiply it times 3 people) would like to hear from a seasoned traveler if that is correct!! Good luck!

Old Jun 8th, 1997, 03:31 PM
Connie

Re: Hotels in Rome

I myself am searhing for a hotel room in Rome. I'll be visiting in August. I haven't yet decided on one, but I found a few on line with reasonable rates. Some names are Julia, Sistina, Erderelli, Pace Elvetia, Hiberia. Perhaps, when I get back I can fill you in on which one I stayed in. If there is anyone out there with more suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 01:19 PM
Joyce

Thanks, Connie. As you can see from my message, I also found the hotels on the Web that you mentioned. Based upon pitures, price and location, I decided on Julia and have made reservations via the Web. I still would be very interested in hearing about where you stay -- (when you get back, obviously).

Old Jun 10th, 1997, 08:03 AM
Pam

I will be traveling to Rome in July. I'll be staying at the Bernini in Rome for 3 nights, which comes highly recommended. Thereafter, I will be visiting other cities i n Italy and then returning to Rome for 1 night. My travel agent recommends the Veneto for the night. I can't find any info on them so I can't say. The price seems right at $56.00. Have you heard anything?

Old Jun 15th, 1997, 02:19 PM
Connie

Joyce, I too have decided on Hotel Julia. I'm currently in the process on making a reservation. I've never made reservations via the web, I hope everything works out fine.

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 08:27 AM
RIta

Pam, I'm making reservations now for Rome in September. I'd be very much interested in learning more about the hotels you stayed at, their locations and their rates. Please let me know how I can reach them if you recommend them! Thanks

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 02:16 PM
Celesti

The Senato is adjacent to the Pantheon and moderately priced. The front-room views of the Pantheon are enchanging, especially in the early mornng and at night. One caveat -- it's on the Piazza de la Rotonda (sp?), so it can get noisy at night. If you don't mind some local nightlife, it's a great bargain -- especially when you consider the hotel at three times the price diagonally across the piazza. The Senato is actually closer to the Pantheon than the higher-priced hotel. The street artist named Santos does nice, although hokey, paintings.

Old Jul 23rd, 1997, 02:51 PM
Mort

Celesti, You mentioned a higher priced hotel near the Pantheon. I am staying at the Crowne Plaza.Is that the hotel you refer to ? Thanks for you response.

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 04:53 AM
Linda

I just got back from a brief vacation in Rome. I checked into Hotel Julia and stayed 1 night, but frankly I was disappointed with my room which was small and gloomy. Rome has gorgeous sun light,so that seemed a waste. The next morning I found Hotel De Petris,just a few steps down the street from Julia. For basically the same price(because Julia charged an extra 15,000 lire a day for air conditioning)we got a much nicer room with a great bathroom. The only complaint I would make is that the staff at Petris was not very friendly and the extra 10,000 lire they were charging for the breakfast was not really worth it. Julia has a friendlier staff and the breakfast is included. Petris serves intolerably bad coffee at breakfast, a sin in Italy I think. I loooove Rome and had a fabulous time. I ate at some great places if anyone wants recommendations.

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 09:20 AM
Celesti

Mort, my reference was actually to the Albergo del Sole al Pantheon, which is directly opposite the Pantheon in the Piazza della Rotonda. It is small, lovely, and quite old -- I believe it is older than Columbus' voyage to the New World! It is also expensive (the Senato is "moderate" with just as good, or better, view of the Pantheon), and worth the price if it fits into your budget and you like a Piazza with nightlife. The Crowne Plaza, also expensive, is a class act, but while it is quite near the Pantheon, I believe it is actually in the Piazza della Minerva. Hope this was helpful.

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 01:04 PM
Dave

Will be in Rome in late Aug. I'd like some suggestions regarding moderately priced dining.

Old Jul 26th, 1997, 11:35 AM
Monica Richards

Last year when I was in Rome we stayed at the Hotel Gregoriana, near the Spanish Steps. We could walk everywhere we needed to go,and the room was nice and quiet. The only thing that was a little strange about that place is that they served you breakfast in your room--they didn't have a breakfast room. I would definitely recommend them. The phone number there is 031-06-679-4269. I recall they charged around $100.00. Monica