Help on itinerary for trip to Switzerland & Paris on Jun 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first time travelling to europe for our honeymoon from 12-Jun till 26-Jun, below are my itinerary and like to see whether we miss any of the places we shd visit:

Zurich (3 days) - will go to Appenzell, Basel & Rhine fall
Murren (3 days) - visit jungfrau, schilthorn
Zermatt (2 days)
Geneva (1 day) - not sure what to do yet
Paris (4 days)

I plan to buy 8 days swiss pass instead of swiss card as we might need to travel a lot back and forth on the train.

Question:
1) I'll be travelling from Geneva to Paris on 21-Jun-2011 and Paris to Zurich from 25-Jun-2011. The total train fare total for 2 persons in 2nd class for above trip on TGV costing us CHF450. Is there any cheaper alternative?

I checked the option on Swit & France Rail pass, it's cost more. I checked the easyjet, not direct flight to Zurich. Havent check the Ryanair yet.

2) We book a room at this Plaza Opera Hotel Paris near Notre Metro. I'm quite worried number of things since this is our honeymoon trip. Anyone stay here or around this area can share the experience.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 04:11 AM

I just checked SNCF and it shows fares from Geneva to Paris on the 21st from 39euro per person. And Paris to Zurich on the 25th from 63euro per person. Check sncf.fr
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 08:06 AM

As Swiss cities go, Geneva is not terribly interesting. (Neither is Zurich, but I have a personal liking for it. Expensive though.)

Maybe stay at the other end of Lac Leman in Montreux or Vevey. Then catch a TGV from Lausanne to Paris.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd skip Geneva. It's not that interesting a city for a tourist. I agree with Mimar above if you want a stop in that area go to Vevey or Montreux (which are stunningly gorgeous imo) instead, using Lausanne (next town over) as your train station stop to make the Paris trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Agree that Geneva isn't worth the time/logistics. If you're based in Zurich, you can spend a day taking a short train ride to Lucerne, board one of the old-fashioned steamers and tour Lake Lucerne, stopping at some of the charming towns. From Vitznau there's a cog railway up Mt. Rigi, with a cable-car descent back to Weggis - stunning.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!!! If weather is good, we will go lucerne to Mt Brig as suggested by carefreecelt instead of Rhine Fall as day trip from Zurich.

Thank for advise, I think to skip Geneva.

We spent 3 nights in Murren and feel that might too much mountains for us and thinking to skip Zermatt and head direct to Lyon, France.

Any advise?