Reload this Page >

Help on Italian Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 01:21 PM
Alicia

Help! I am planning a 2 week honeymoon in Italy for October of 1999. I definitely want to start my trip in Venice and end up in Rome. Could anyone recommend an itinerary that actually could be done in 2 weeks and not stretch our time too thin? Would it possible to go to the Amalfi Coast during this time as well? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Alicia

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 08:45 PM
Dayle

Alicia, assuming 2 days traveling to/from, how about this: 2 days Venice, 3 days Florence, 3-4 days through Tuscany, 3 days Rome. This would be a nice mixture of cities and sightseeing and countryside. I would pick up a car in Florence and drop off in Orvieto. Train otherwise. You could spend a couple days on the Amalfi Coast if you are willing to shorten other cities, but it does take a while to get down there. We went by train from Florence-Rome-Naples-Salerno. Then bus Salerno-Priaino (in between Positano and Amalfi). It took almost the whole day. Bob the Navigator will have some excellent suggestions for you. Lucky you, what a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 08:45 PM
Dayle

Alicia, assuming 2 days traveling to/from, how about this: 2 days Venice, 3 days Florence, 3-4 days through Tuscany, 3 days Rome. This would be a nice mixture of cities and sightseeing and countryside. I would pick up a car in Florence and drop off in Orvieto. Train otherwise. You could spend a couple days on the Amalfi Coast if you are willing to shorten other cities, but it does take a while to get down there. We went by train from Florence-Rome-Naples-Salerno. Then bus Salerno-Priaino (in between Positano and Amalfi). It took almost the whole day. Bob the Navigator will have some excellent suggestions for you. Lucky you, what a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 08:54 PM
Bill Fleites

Hi Alicia, <BR>Congratulations on your wedding. Your honeymoon trip to Italy would depend on your likes and dislikes. But if I had two weeks in Italy this is how I would spend it: <BR>4 days in Venice (possible 1/2 day side trip to Verona and Vicenza) <BR>3 days in Florence (possibe 1/2 day side trip to Pisa) <BR>2 days in Siena <BR>5 days in Rome <BR>Have a wonderful time.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 04:58 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Alicia, You may need to contact me directly. It is hard to suggest a good <BR>itinerary without knowing whether you <BR>are opposed to driving for part of the trip, your budget range, and I question <BR>your ability to fly into Venice using a <BR>USA carrier. I would lean toward more <BR>romantic times at the Lakes and Amalfi <BR>and less time in the big cities,

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 06:09 AM
John

Alicia, as a rough guide, how about 3 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Florence/Siena, 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Positano which leaves 2 days for travel. I drove from Venice to Rome in 6 hours and Florence/Siena is about midway. Positano is around 180 miles south of Rome and takes a 1/2 day. The nights are cool in both Rome and Positano during October so Florence and Venice will be colder. The days are warm and very enjoyable at that time of the year. If I had to cut a day or two, it would be from Venice and Florence only becuase of the time of the year. <BR> <BR>The problem with Italy is that there is so much to see. You could spend a week or more in any of these locations and there are others as well. It takes several trips to see Italy. I like to separate Italy into sections and concentrate on one section at a time. However, for a first trip, and two weeks, you can cover a lot of ground and it would be a nice introduction to Italy. Again, in October, I would be favoring the South and in May/June/July the North. The North is more than just Venice. There is Lake Como and Lake Maggiore, Bellagio, and Stresa, Locarno, Lugano in the Southern part of Switzerland (the italian part) which could use up a week or more easily.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 06:10 AM
John

Alicia, as a rough guide, how about 3 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Florence/Siena, 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Positano which leaves 2 days for travel. I drove from Venice to Rome in 6 hours and Florence/Siena is about midway. Positano is around 180 miles south of Rome and takes a 1/2 day. The nights are cool in both Rome and Positano during October so Florence and Venice will be colder. The days are warm and very enjoyable at that time of the year. If I had to cut a day or two, it would be from Venice and Florence only becuase of the time of the year. <BR> <BR>The problem with Italy is that there is so much to see. You could spend a week or more in any of these locations and there are others as well. It takes several trips to see Italy. I like to separate Italy into sections and concentrate on one section at a time. However, for a first trip, and two weeks, you can cover a lot of ground and it would be a nice introduction to Italy. Again, in October, I would be favoring the South and in May/June/July the North. The North is more than just Venice. There is Lake Como and Lake Maggiore, Bellagio, and Stresa, Locarno, Lugano in the Southern part of Switzerland (the italian part) which could use up a week or more easily.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 09:45 AM
mwg

I'm planning a similar trip as follows:<BR>(arriving Venice, 2 nights Ferrara, 3 nights Siena (with possibly 1 night instead in San Gemignano), 4 nights Rome, 2 nights Perugia and 3 nights Venice.<BR>I have decided not to go to Florence but, if you've never been there, you will probably want to go. I always like to see some smaller cities, if I can and have made this choice. Siena is very beautiful and is well worth seeing. I also think its helpful to think how many nights you want to spend in a place as 2 days in a city could either mean 2 nights and 3 days, 1 night and 2 days or some other variant. Focusing on the nights allpows you to also focus on days which will be lost entirely or partially to travel.

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 03:15 AM
Denise

Hi Alicia - Congratulations. <BR> <BR>I tried answering this yesterday but it was so slow posting,t hat my lunch hour was up before it got thru. Here is my tuppence worth - it follows roughly the way we spent time in Italy last year. 3 nights in Venice, 7 nights in villa in Tuscany (you can visit Florence from here) relaxing, visiting small villages, just sitting in squares looking at the local activity and the views. and then 3/ 4 nights in Rome <BR>and if you are driving, as we did, maybe one on the road near San Marino. Another option for you, rather than the Amalfi, is the Cinque Terre, just northwest of Lucca. Have a great wedding day and honeymoon. Denise <BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 06:20 AM
Jim

Alicia: Not much new to add but an endorsement of a couple above comments. I would suggest time in both Siena and San Gemignano, an ancient walled-city. I have a fond memory of passing through the narrow by-ways one summer there and hearing a flute playing. Following the maze of narrow streets, I came upon a lovely square wherein a German musician was giving an impromtu concert. Siena and San G. are wonderful for more peaceful forays as would be the villa in Tuscany. If you are interested in art, Florence and Rome are musts. There are, however, an almost limitless number of other worthy sites throughout the region. Review of any good art history book would help here. Finally, if you are interested in more active and exciting environments, I'd suggest Rome and possibly Milan (second choice). If you want a bit of romance in your setting, do check a Fodor or Fielding guide (any bookstore with a travel section) for some out-of-the-way tips on travel. This really depends on the experience you want. As a 52-year old who still has quite a romantic travel relationship with his wife (and who really believes in what you're doing), I'd be pleased to help further if you wish. Just e-mail me.

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 12:33 PM
lisa

Hi Alicia - <BR> <BR>I was hoping to do the same sort of trip for my honeymoon. This is what I have thought about. <BR> <BR>Fly into Naples - Air France to Paris and then Alitalia to Naples. Spend four nights in Positano with a day trip to Capri. Train to Rome - 2 hrs - stay for 2 days. Train to Florence - about 3 hours stay for 3 nights and train to Venice a little short of 3 hours and end the honeymoon there with 3 nights at the Hotel Flora! Then fly home from Venice on Air France. <BR> <BR>Here are some useful web sites I found for hotels and trains. <BR> <BR> <BR>http://italyhotel.com/ <BR> <BR>http://www.starnet.it/positano/ingwel.htm <BR>http://www.venicehotel.com/ <BR>http://www.karenbrown.com/ <BR>http://www.raileurope.com/us/

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Paule

There are so many good itinerary suggestions, that I'm not going to make any more! The only thing that I would suggest is to consider the order of your trip. If possible, you might find it easier to approach Rome earlier in the trip and Venice at the end. Rome is an exhausting (but wonderful) city, and, most people find that at the end of a trip, it can be a little overwhelming. Besides, Venice is the dreamiest place to be, and maybe a nice way to end a honeymoon. <BR>Whatever you do, it will be wonderful!

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 04:09 PM
deepa

Congratulations Alicia! How lovely (and romantic)to plan a honeymoon in Italy! Well, we have been to Italy 3 times in the last 2 years. Since it is your first ime there (I presume)it is best to stick to the Tuscan and Umbria region and add on Venice. I think for the amount of time you have, you should do Rome, Orvieto (which is on the way to Florence),Florence (with a day trip to Seina by bus from Florence)and then Venice. You could also add Assisi to your itenenrary though it is a bit away but worth it. The Amalfi coast is beautiful but not that easy to get to. Unless you only do say, Rome and the Amalfi coast (Positano, Ravello, Sorrento and Capri).Have a great time! <BR>