Reload this Page >

help on Flam-Balestrand-Bergen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Lois

Visiting Scandinavia early June and thought we would create our own "Nutshell" trip with a nite in Balestrand. This means leaving Oslo 8:11 am by train, Myrdal to Flam with arrival at 3:28, and departure by boat to Balestrand at 3:30! (only boat of the day). Overnight in Balestrand, and express boat to Bergen. Has anyone done that? Does it sound plausible? Would appreciate advice.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 02:39 AM
Tony

Lois.. <BR> <BR>Your timings don't sound right. On the 0811 from Oslo, you should arrive Myrdal at 1247 - connect from there on the 1250, and arrive Flam at 1340. <BR>At Flam there is an excellent hotel adjacent to the train and boat stations, where you can enjoy lunch whilst waiting for the Balestrand boat. <BR>Incidentally I think the 1530 boat to Balestrand is also the express boat to Bergen. I did this trip in the one day, arriving Bergen approx.2030, tired but happy. It was a fantastic trip. However, stay a night in Balestrand, as the area is lovely.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Lois

Tony: thanks for your answer and encouragement! I was afraid that the 3 mins. between arrival in Myrdal at 1247 and departure for Flam would not be sufficient and that we would be struggling to make the boat to Balestrand. sounds do-able now.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi, Lois. <BR>I do not think that you ever have to worry about the Myrdal/Flam connection. <BR>If main train Oslo/Bergen or vice versa is late, it really would be surprising if the tiny Flam rail does not wait. <BR>Have a marvellous trip <BR>Bjorn

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Marija

By taking a boat to Balestrand from Flam, you'll miss the boat ride on the Naerofjord. We found that to be the highlight of our own expanded Nutshell trip. I would recommend you take the cruise on the Naerofjord, spend the night at the Stalheim hotel and then continue on to Balestrand by bus/boat the next morning. Spend the night in Balestrand and then go to Bergen.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Tony

Lois.. <BR> <BR>Take note of Marija's suggestion, as it sounds good. I did'nt do her trip myself, and have occasionally regretted it, as we may have missed one of the best bits. <BR>After staying the night in Stalheim it should be possible to return to Flam by boat next morning, to catch the express boat to Bergen, which is well worth doing, in fact a must I feel, either overnighting in Balestrand if you have time, or going straight on to Bergen. Bergen, itself is worth at least 2 nights by the way; an interesting city, with attractive sightseeing and tours.