Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to leave a car parked outside the cities of Siena, Lucca overnight ?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 02:07 PM
helen

We will be staying overnight in a number of cities in Umbria and Tuscany. We're not anxious to drive a car into the cities and wonder if it's safe to leave cars parked overnight in the lots outside the city walls. Has anyone had any experience leaving cars overnight outside Lucca, Orvieto, Siena, Montepuciano? Also outside the Cinque Terre area?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:11 PM
fred

helen i have left cars overnite in siena and orvieto without any problems. just make sure the cars are empty or at least nothing is visible that may attract a thief. also the parking lot in orvieto is considerable down hill from the main square. you can drive up to unload but then must place the car in the approved lots. not a big hassle. enjoy yourd trip

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 04:24 PM
StCirq

I have left cars outside of Siena and Montepulciano and had no problems. I always clear the car of any "tourist" evidence - cameras, maps, guidebooks, etc., and I always buy a local newspaper and bottle of local mineral water and throw them in a haphazard fashion on the front seat or dashboard. in addition, if there is any evidence on the car that it is a rental vehicle (stickers, e.g.), I buy a local sticker saying, e.g., "Forza Firenze!" and plaster it over the rental sticker. A silly ruse, perhaps, but in more than 25 years of renting cars in Europe, I've never had anyone tamper with a rental car.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:21 PM
joe

In Siena, there is a parking lot immediately inside the gate below the Cathedral. It is enclosed and monitered and you won't have to drive aound in the City. <BR> <BR>In Orvieto, there is a parking lot immediately at the top of the hill as you enter the city. Otherwise, you park at the bottom of the hill and take the funicular up the hill. I have done both and had no trouble with my car. Pay strict attention to the suggestion to leave your car absolutely empty. I preferred the parking at the top of the hill, although you may have to wait for a space. Once I was in, I could leave it all night. Two of my favorite places. I envy you.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:46 PM
Bob

In Orvieto, I stayed at the Hotel Aquila Bianca which is in the city and had parking available for guests. The hotel is not far from one of the entrances into the city and, therefore, you don't have to drive much within the city walls. In Siena I stayed at the hotel Executive which also had parking for guests but which is about 2 kilometers from the city. I took a cab when I wanted to go into Siena but since I used this hotel as a base for driving to other cities in Tuscany, it was convenient for that purpose. I've always preferred a hotel which has parking as opposed to parking at a distant location because it allows me more flexibility in deciding on last minute day trips.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 11:14 PM
kam

We have relatives near Lucca so don't stay in hotels there, but I would think based on many visits to the city that there would be no problem with leaving a car parked outside the city walls. I would ask my hotel in advance for recommendations about what to do with my car. It's very hard to find a place to park in Lucca and most park outside. I would take the precaution to not leave anything in the car that anyone could see, but I really don't think that Lucca is more of a threat than suburban San Francisco. I really think we're getting a bit crazy here about safety in Italy.