Help on Borders Itenary

Search

Help on Borders Itenary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on Borders Itenary

In Oct. my wife and I will be attending collectors conventions on successive week-ends in and near Edinburgh. We will be finished in Creiff on Mon morning and need to be in Edinburgh the next Friday afternoon. W are thinking of driving around the Borders during that week. Here's what we're thinking of. Any suggestions are welcome.
See some caltles and sites in East Lotian area. Do Holy Island. Go to Kirkcudbright. (We have seen Jedburgh, Melrose, Dryburg.) Go through Culzean Castle. Then return to Edinburgh. We will have time during the convention to see Edinburgh.
Does anyone have ideas of things to see, things to do? We like history, interesting sites, a little shopping. That kind of thing. In my caluculation we have an extra day and I hate to have a day with nothing to do.
Any nice B&B's along the way would be helpful too.
Thanks for your help.
Carl
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Though I haven't yet been able to actually visit there, I understand Rosslyn Chapel just south of Edinburgh is really fantastic. It's also used in the very popular current novel The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, which makes it even more interesting. I really wanted to visit Rosslyn on my recent trip to Edinburgh but just couldn't squeeze it into the ininerary. It is number one on my wish list for next time. They have a website at http://www.rosslyn-chapel.com/
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Forgot to ask - what sort of collectibles are you attending conventions for? As a shameless collector of various "stuff" myself I'm always interested to hear what other people collect.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Although Culzean Castle is impressive, it is a long drive to get there. As a former inhabitant of East Lothian, I can recommend the following:
Drive from Edinburgh to Gifford and have morning coffee there. Take the B6355 to near Duns and go to Manderston House (it has a solid silver staicase).
Then go to Kelso and visit Floors Castle(a must in my opinion).Kelso has some very good hotels. The Queen's Head used to be my favourite, but I cannot guarantee that it is still in business. This could be followed up with a visit to Abbotsford House, the ancestral home of Sir Walter Scott. It is just outside Galashiels. The owner of this house just died a few weeks ago and it may not be open to the public. However, it is of huge historical significance, although not everyones cup of tea.All this could take two or three days depending on how much you do.Another place my wife and I love to visit is Dirleton Castle. It is an old ruin on the coast road between Prestonpans and Longniddry, about 7 miles outside Edinburgh.You won't find it on any map, but Dirleton has a population of about 200, so you cannot miss it. If you are feeling opulent, try lunch or dinner in the Dirleton Arms or, at the very least, have a pint there.Another 12 miles east of this is the Museum of Flight at East Fortune. The Concord was just moved there a few weeks ago and it should be worth seeing.If you were to do all this, you might want to omit Culzean. I know nothing about Kirkcudbright. Why are you going there?
Hopefully, the weather will be kind.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM

a five-day loop like you've suggested is certainly doable.

Visit Dirleton Castle/Gardens and then Tantallon. Then down the coast - be sure to walk the clifftop path at St Abbs Head - amazing. Then down to Holy Island. All of this could be done in one day but it woul dbe a rush leaving from Creiff.. So I'd probably stay Monday night somewhere neat Eyemouth. There is, or at least was, a B&B right on the foreshore in the tiny village of Burnmouth at the bottom of the cliff, but there are lots of places to stay nearby.

Then on Tues head down to Lindesfarne, then Bamburgh if you'd like. Across to Hawick or farther west for Tues night. Then stay Wed and thrus nights in Near Kirkudbright or New Galloway. use this as a base for Culzean and the rest of the Southwest. The you'll have most of the day Friday to work your way back to Edinburgh.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM

I was posting at the same time as almcd. His itinerary certainly makes sense - but it sounds like you've already spent some time in teh Borders and taking into account what you say you want to see, my extended loop down to Holy Island and across to Kirkcudbrigt/Ayrshire is not too hectic.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

The time in Crieff is for the Caithness (paperweight) Convention. In Edinburgh we will be at the celebration of the 25th anniversary of David Winter cottages.
At the Caithness Conv. we will be able to make our own paperweight. That's fun. The day we do this is the day of our 50th wedding anniversary.
There are several other things that I collect. A regular pack-rat.
Before we go to Crieff we will spend a few days on Orkney. I know it not the best weather time, but we make do with what we have.
We intend to have fun.
Carl
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Holy Island is well worth a visit but remember that the island gets cut off by the tide and therefore you need to plan your visit beforehand, especially if your schedule is tight. You could find yourself on the island for much longer than you had orginally intended!!! It is cut off for 2 hours before and 3 hours after high tide. If you look at www.northumberland.gov.uk it gives you tide tables.