Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help needed to check out london apartment.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to thank fellow fodorites ,especially Janisj ,Jent103 and Palenq for answering a lot of queries.For some reason i wasnt able to submit the reply on this website.I had been checking a few apartment rentals and this is the first time for me.Fodorites do check this vrbo listing. http://www.vrbo.com/296853
Is this location good?the rates seem to be really good for 6nights in London and as this is the first time I am a bit apprehensive.Help me out.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:03 AM

Yup - that's a good area - I know and like Fulham.

I tried to expand the map to see if the property was right on Fulham Broadway or a side street (cos it'll be potential noisy if the former), but it wouldn't zoom.

Either way, your nearest tube will be Fulham Broadway - then Parsons Green, then Sloane Square. Good area for transport, shops and restauarants. Fairly upmarket (posh).
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:04 AM

N.b - Sloane Square tube is Sloane St.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:34 AM

Ignore that second post - I have migraine starting and am coming out with gibberish.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:39 AM

We have stayed nearby in Chelsea Harbor and found it's transport options very good and there are lots of cafes and shops along King Rd
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The living room/dining area looks pretty small. Everything is right on top of each other (couch in an alcove right next to dining table/chairs right next to washer/dryer) and the couch and dining chairs are the only seating. I'd personally rather have more comfortable seating and less dining table.

But the rates are good for a 2 bedroom flat.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM

I personally would never deal with any individual or business who only provides a mobile number.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:19 PM

Strange that the map won't zoom in to precisely where it is, and why there's that blank marker on the map as well.

It looks as though it's in one of the residential streets between Dawes Road and Munster Road, which is what the estate agents call a "sought after" area. That fireplace suggested to me that it might be a flat in a 1920s or 30s block, possibly once intended as social housing but nowadays sold off to the private market: they're often bought up by "buy to rent" landlords. And sure enough, in Bishop's Road is a block called "Munster Residences" which looks like a likely candidate; it looks nicely done up and will indeed be "sought after" in this area - plenty of solid Victorian and Edwardian family houses in tree-lined streets, with good public transport links.

But in view of what Dickie_Gr points out, I'd ask them for the exact address (including postcode) so you can check on Google Maps yourself, and maybe even ask for contact details for anyone else who has stayed there.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone.I will get back to the owner with the exact address and check this out again.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

This is the address of the apartment.
First Floor Flat - 8 Bishops Road – Fulham -London SW6 7AB

http://www.homelidays.co.uk/londres/...-289995en1.htm

this is the same rental on another website.Is this area good?I am wondering why the rates are low when other listings on vrbo are quite higher than this.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is in Bhishop's Rd just off of Dawes Rd

Hint - if you type a post code (in this case SW6 7AB) into google you will get a map w/ the exact location. )

Not a bad location. You may end up taking buses more than the tube since the only near-ish stations are Fulham Broadway and Parsons Green on the District line.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:40 AM

Remember, first floor = the upper floor.

The area's fine, if you don't mind being a bit out of the centre, but it's only about a quarter of a mile from Fulham Broadway tube, where you'll also find plenty of good local shopping, restaurants, and so on (and the 11 bus, but that takes a good long time to grind its way into the centre).

I must say, the reviews on that French site don't throw up anything to suggest any concerns about the fact that the contact phone is a mobile.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:46 AM

Meant to add, 70 sq m isn't large. It looks like an all-in-one kitchen/diner/living room (probably the front room), two bedrooms and a shower room/loo (no bath).
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM

If you don't already know how to use google maps search nearby feature learn it to find grocery, pubs, restaurants nearby. A quick search of postcode and "grocery" turned up a Waitrose between the address and Fulham Broadway tube station. That's nice full service grocery chain in London.