Help needed for Salzburg, Vienna, Prague and Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Europe in June. To take advantage of the cheap fares, we are starting and ending our trip in Salzburg. My husband and I have never been to these cities and would really appreciate some advise. We would like to visit Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Munich and back to Salzburg to catch our flight. I have been told that it is quite easy to take the train between each of these cities. Could you please advice which is the best/cheapest website to book train tickets and also recommedation of reasonable accommodation in these cities? Thank you, thank you
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 04:09 AM
ira

Hi CC,

Where are you from that it is cheaper to fly into Salzburg than into Munich?

The Austrian rail system is at http://www.oebb.at/ You can change the language in a little box at the top.

The German rail system is at www.bahn.de.

In Salzburg, I can highly recommend
http://www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home)

Get the Salzburg card: http://www.salzburg.info/de/sehenswe...card/index.htm

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thank you for your response. I will be flying in from London to Salzburg, at the moment super special on Ryan Air only 10pounds return. Will check out those websites you suggested. cc
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Hi Cindy,
You didn't mention how much time you have for the trip. All those cities are very easily linked by train with journeys of about 2-3 hours so it is very do-able, but there is much to see in each one of them. Also, there are interesting smaller towns in between that would make nice stops if you have the time (some of the prettiest country scenery in Europe, in my opinion). I have not been to Prague yet but for the others, I would suggest a minimum of 2 full days for Salzburg and Munich (3 if you want to visit Dachau), and 3 for Vienna. I have read as much as 5 days recommended for Prague. So I would suggest 2 weeks to see the cities and 3 if you also want to see one or two places in the countryside (eg. the Tirol south of Munich, the Salzkammeragut between Salzburg and Vienna, Cesky Kumlov between Vienna and Prague, Karlovy Vary between Prague and Munich, etc.). If you only have a week for this trip I'd suggest to limit it to two centres, ie. Salzburg and Vienna, Salzburg and Munich, or Salzburg and countryside (Melk, Hallstadt, or Neuschwanstein castle). All these cities are beautiful but I have a particular soft spot for Salzburg because of the gorgeous physical setting which I find prettier than Vienna or Munich. However if you are an art museum person you'll want to pick Vienna. Can't comment on Prague, it may be nicest of all, but it is also farthest from your airport.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Good advice on time per each city above. Hotels we've enjoyed in each are:
Salzburg--Zur Godenen Ente, traditional place directly in the center
Vienna--Konig von Ungarn, traditional semi-luxury place just behind St. Stephen's, and Pension Pertchy (sp?) a budget favorite in the middle of things
Munich--Advokat, a modern, design hotel with pretty reasonable rates and the best breakfast we've ever had included
Prague--Cerna Liska, the only hotel directly on the Old Town Square
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 06:58 AM

In Vienna, the-believe it or not-Hotel Austria. It's on a quiet cul-de-sac and about a street and a half from the Schwedenplatz station at the edge of the Inner Ring Road at the north and next to the Danube Canal. It's an easy stroll down to St. Stephen's, as well. I seem to remember it's moderately priced. We liked it and its location. In Prague, there is the likely too pricey Pariz in the Old Town. It has a fabulous breakfast buffet.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM

I actually stayed in a monastery behind St. Stephen's in Vienna. It was so cool, and very reasonably priced. Our double room with breakfast was €82/night. If you're looking for an alternative, here is the information and I booked via email:

Gästehaus Deutscher Orden
Singerstr. 7/1
A-1010 Wien
[email protected]
Phone: 004315121065

I've stayed in hostels in Munich, Salzburg, and Prague, so if that's more on par with your budget, I'd be happy to tell you where we stayed. I'd argue that the monastery was more hotel-like. Bathrooms in the room, and they served breakfast in the morning in a sitting room. It was a really neat and different experience (a nun checked us in), and literally, just behind St. Stephen's, which is in the heart of it all.