Vienna - Prague - Salzburg???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! We're planning a trip to Austria & the Czech Rebuplic in late April. We figured we'd fly into Vienna for a few days, then visit Salzburg for 2 days and finally move on to Prague for 3-4 days. However, we can't find speedy travel between Salzburg and Prague. Train service seems to take at least 7 hours with several train changes. Is there another way to move between those 2 cities? Or is our itinerary just non-practical?

Thanks so much for advice!!!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Salzburg to Prague is a route where train connections are not convenient. There is only one direct train, the Zurich-Prague overnight, which passes through Salzburg at the inconvenient hour of 4:30 a.m.

You might investigate flying into Munich or Salzburg and taking the cities in the order Salzburg, Vienna, Prague.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Where are you flying out of? If it were me, I would skip Salzburg and split the time between Vienna and Prague. There must be a reason that Mozart escaped from Salzburg to live in Vienna.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:54 PM

We spent last Easter, 2 weeks, in Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, and Prague, in that order. Loved everyplace. I would suggest depending on your vacation time, to fly into Salzburg if possible and spend 2 complete days there. If it is not possible you can fly to Munich and take the train to Salzburg, it is quite near. Then by train to Vienna for 4 nights at least and then by train to Prague for another 4 nights. It is 5 hours by train from Vienna to Prague. It was a wonderful trip and if you like I can send you my very detailed itinerary.
Barbara
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the comments. Since we're redeeming frequent flyer miles (another problem in itself), we're unable to fly in/out of Salzburg. Ah...the glory of travel!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Barbara,

Can you please send me your complete detailed itinerary including hotels on your Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague trip. We are planning to do the same next March, 2005. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank You.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:11 PM

We are planning a similar trip this fall. Can anyone send me info from your own experience?