Reload this Page >

HELP !!! Need help with wearing heels.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Linda

When I travel I like to dress as well as I do here at home. My favourite outfit is a smart pair of black pants, narrow or bootcut leg, with a great white shirt and a smart belt. My dilemma:I can walk around here quite comfortably in a pair of boots with 2-3 inch heels but with the amount of walking you do in Paris, some of it on cobblestones I would be hobbling by day's end. I do have nice low (1 inch) heeled boots but it's not quite the look I want. I know, I know, it's not a dilemma to most of you, but the fashionistas out there will understand and perhaps be able to offer suggestions. Thanks.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:43 PM
bad

I have the worst feet- uncomfortable usually in anything but sneakers. I bit the bullet and purchased a pair of Stuart Weitzman boots, I believe they are called "Damsel." Go to their website. It is a small stiletto-looking heel, but they are SO comfortable. They are worth the $$$, trust me.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Fsh.Emerg.

Linda, you're telling us you have a one inch issue. At two you're okay, at one, disaster. Suggestion: wear a longer tapered pant, hem close to the ground, and no one will ever see that heel. Only you will know that awful secret. If that bothers you, then pretend you're at home, and you have on a longer heel.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Nancy

Linda, I have worn my 2-3 inch heeled boots with almost the same outfit as you want to wear, and by the end of the day I wanted to throw them in the Seine!<BR><BR>I still take heeled boots but wear them only when I know I will not be walking very far at one time. <BR><BR>Take your one inch boots, if they are cut right I am sure they will still look stylish. The shape and composition of the heels count for alot.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM
orgy7\

I LOVE high heels on chic's. yet mangles feet sure dosn't turn me on.. <BR>it's almost a catch 22 thang..<BR><BR>As for traveling you may look Sexy for a day or 2. then you'll start turning into The hunchback of Notre Dame from the pain.. and surely the Parisian &quot;fashionistas&quot; will want too lynch you..

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Alana

During fall/winter I almost always wear my leather boots around NYC. Two of my favorite pairs sport 2 inch heels, but they are as wide as my heel so I get steady balance. This included running up and down badly worn subway stairwells, across marble plazas, and across uneven paving. They are stylish &amp; very comfortable - never any blisters.<BR><BR>What I do warn about is to take care in places that you can tell they salt the street or sidewalks when it snows since the saltwater will damage anything nicer than tennis shoes. I would avoid any styles that have a mincy heel, but if you are comfortable wearing them for eight hours, then you should be fine in most urban cities.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Linda

Thanks to those of you who offered positive replies and suggestions. To those who think people this interested in how they look have no life; well, think again. I'm not some bubble-headed idiot; I'm a mid-50's youthful-looking woman who takes good care of herself and does have a very full life. This is my 36th yr as a teacher and, although retired, go in to supply teach; I also tutor and work retail...and look after my husband, son and the family dog. While I don't obsess about fashion I am particular about how I look and what I wear.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 02:56 PM
JustAgirl

Hi, Linda,<BR>I figured this one out just a few weeks ago, when I was sure that my feet would fall apart from wearing high heeled pointy toed shoes on our trip. <BR>I took a pair of high, black riding styled boots with maybe a one inch thick heel,sort of lug soled. And the pants that I wore were cropped a little, so there was more boot showing. Looked great , they were comfortable and also looked good with a short tight skirt and at night I was able to wear the higher heels because my feet weren't killing me.<BR>

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:37 PM
xxx

I also must concur with the poster above about Stuart Weitzman boots. I have the Vitale boots(about 2 1/2 inch heel) and I've walked all day in them and my feet are okay (not perfect, but definitely okay). I'm taking them in a few months with me to Rome.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:17 AM

Topping for Jen who was asking about boots.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Jill and Will

A compromise is what we suggest - a 1.5 inch heal. All your troubles will be solved.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Caroline

Linda,<BR><BR>I am going through the same dilemna right now for our trip to Italy. I am petite and I normally wear 3 inch heels on a daily basis. I don't even own a pair of flats (which I would consider a one inch heel or less). I hate how I look in flats, plus most of my pants are meant to be worn with a higher heel. I am bringing my two most comfortable shoes, plus a suprisingly cute pair of Aerosole boots (first time I've ever bought those, they actually now have some cute styles).

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Carolyn

I have bad feet. Very tough to find all day comfort on cobblestones. I don't like ugly. I agree with those above--Stuart Weitzman's shoes &amp; boots are a miracle.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Shanna

Linda, I haven't reviewed the other responses, so forgive me if I'm being redundant. In the past I never would have taken heels on any vacation - sounds too much like going to work. But I just got back from a trip to Cambridge and Paris - both with lots of cobblestones, narrow streets, awkward stairways etc. I recently purchased and wore all the time on that trip a pair of easy spirit heels in microfiber (inside the heel says: sparkle - I assume that's the style name). The heel is 2&quot; and a bit chunky and goes very well with the slim black trousers I wore but also looked great with a skirt. I walked around a great deal and was astonished that I didn't trip or fall over once. And my feet didn't hurt. What an eye-opener! I'm now looking for more of the same because this shoe may very well be the only one I wear!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Comfort

This may sound a little rough, but you really should drop the heel thing and get safe, comfortable shoes - when you trip and break your ankle you won't be looking too smart to anybody!<BR>I saw an american woman go down wearing heels in Paris and it was not a pretty site.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:59 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>Linda, you wouldn't have to wear those boots with 2-3 heels the entire day and evening, would you? Why not bring them and just wear them for part of the day or evening? That's what my girlfriend did, and there was no hobbling involved.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Clara

I really get the heel thing. Last year I wore a 2&quot; pair of Portania (this shoe is extremely comfortable and stable) heels and some 2&quot; mules. I'm a former dancer with ruined feet and I walked all over Italy for two weeks with no problems.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Shoe Guru

Sorry ladies.....There are about 10% of the women who can look good in heeled boots. That is about it. Most of you have trouble getting the zipper up because your calves are ..shall we say.. challenging.<BR><BR>Long dresses make the look even worse. If you can wear heeled boots with an above the knee dress..go for it.<BR><BR>Remember, walking all day on cobblestone streets, etc., is not about fashion. It's about comfort.<BR><BR>Show Guru

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Nan

Hey, my calves are great! I wear boots because they look good and are comfortable and warm. I dont think it is so bad to want to look attractive, but not at the cost of hobbling around with aching feet.<BR>I think we forget how awful it is to wear uncomfortable shoes the whole day.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Dr. Malfi

There, there, Linda, we all like you and we know how full your life is, go ahead and wear your boots and have a nice time.<BR>Please take another pair of comfortable shoes just in case you want to change your shoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -