Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! My husband doesn't want to take the video camera

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:07 PM
mbb

I am not so interested in capturing the monuments on filmm, I realize that can be done nicely with a camera. We are taking our two boys 7 and 10 and I want to relive them playing in the Trevi Fountain and cruising the Rhine with castles in the background. I cannot pack the video camera because I will be carrying all of the logisical information and focusing on that. Would those of you who have traveled with one and regretted it respond to this post as well as those of you who think it is worthwhile. I am very torn and will respect your advice. Thank you.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:51 PM
upsy daisy

Please read
"Hoe will I remember my European Tour of a Lifetime"
Might help you out!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 07:06 PM
mbb

Thank you for bringing that post to the top. Although not in my favor I have to be sensitive to those who have traveled before me. This is a wonderful site. My husband will be happy.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 07:24 PM
Rex

Elsa,

Yes - - this IS where more info will be posted about the "Fodorites' trip" - - probably once dates and rough itinerary are set. In the meantime, I encourage all interested parties to let me know here or by e-mail. I am sending various updates to those who have asked for it by e-mail.

Sorry to confuse anyone.

I meant that the grab bag is perhaps the best place to continue any "dialogue" about the performance of the forum - - the recent ever-pervasive appearance of "sorry98.gif" - - and issues about old format versus new format - - and whatever it is that Fodor's is trying to do to work on how the forum(s) work.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 08:23 PM
Bob R.

About the video camera (Did Rex reply to the right question?)....
I took one on each trip with our children & have never regretted it..your husband needs to take it! However, now that the children have flown off, I don't take it anymore because it's a real pain in the can to keep up with, plus neither my wife nor I want to be in the picture.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 08:30 PM
Rex

I posted an appropriate answer to this question - - but this is not what I posted for THIS question!

This is the second time in 48 hours I have seen a posting end up filed errantly on the wrong thread.

The mechanics have clearly left some some wrenches "laying around", somewhere "under the hood" and some things are going bump in the might.

My post had to do with mbb NOT getting her hopes up about her boys playing IN the Trevi Fountain. Maybe in or around the fountains below Palais de Chaillot - "underneath" (not really) the Eiffel Tower.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 08:33 PM
dan woodlief

I don't like to carry along my video camera (I much prefer a still camera), and I will admit that on a recent trip with my daughter (2-yrs old) I barely took it out. However, I would probably take it for her first trip abroad. I suggest taking it for yours, especially if it is a small one. If it means that much to you, don't take a chance on regretting it later.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:13 AM
Nancy

If you don't take your video camera on a trip to Europe, why do you buy one then? I can't think of a better place to take a video camera especially with young children except maybe to DisneyWorld!!

I took mine on my first trip to Europe & have watched the movies time & time again. Yes, it was a pain in the butt but well worth it IMHO!

I don't know how large your video camera is ~ that may make the difference ~ but I carry a large bag that all the general "stuff" goes into & that is where I carry the camera. I don't bring the camera bag.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:19 AM
Cass

Buying a video camera "over there" may not be the best idea -- I seem to remember there's a basic difference between the specs for US videos and European videos, such that I was unable to play a video sent to me from a French friend. Can someone with more "tech" knowledge fill us in?

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 10:12 AM
mbb

Thank you for your responses. My husband has read your posts and has agreed to take the video camera.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 01:15 PM
Linda

Cass, you were right. Buying a video camera in Europe is only a good idea if you have a multi-system TV and multi-system VCR to replay the tapes on. TVs in the US (and a few other places) run on NTSC system. European, for the most part, run on PAL. The two systems are incompatible. If you get any picture at all, it will certainly be black and white, out of focus, and will flip rapidly. A tape made on one system will simply not play on the other one. So, mbb, if you can convince your husband to take his video, that's the only way to go. Camcorders are one of the few things you don't want to buy "over there" unless you are also prepared to buy a TV and VCR to match.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 01:46 PM
c

I can certainly attest to the Europe/US differences in Video Systems. I have a US bought digital camcorder but now live in Europe. The thing just went blank and now I've been advised by Canon US that I will have to ship it back to the US (first via a family member, because they don't accept packages direct from overseas) to be repaired because of the Compatability problem.

Why oh WHY does there have to be a difference? I suspect greedy companies.
Ugh, just venting...