Help me with my fantasy

Aug 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Help me with my fantasy

On my trip to the corner newstand I noticed that Powerball is now up to $141 Million. Of course that got me to thinking....I mean dreaming...

What would I do with all that money? A second home in Europe would be on the top of my list. My question for all you experts is:

"Where would be the best place to own a second home in Europe?"

I'd want a place in the middle of Europe because I love every country I've ever visited. Thus I'd want easy access for return visits. My favorite place in the whole world is Bavaria, particularly Berchtesgaden. But the taxes in Germany are supposed to be brutal. Ditto with Denmark and Sweden. The UK might be nice but it seems whenever somebody makes it big there they move out, so their taxes must suck too. It used to be that a lot of the rich celebrities moved to Switzerland and Monaco. Are they still the places to run and hide your money away?

A Greek island might be nice too, but I've never been there in the winter. Would one be bored to death? Turkey COULD BE a great haven in the future but the political situation is suddenly rather dicey.

I'd like to hear your opinions. Not only where you'd retire, but would you buy an existing place or build a new chateau? Would you invest your winnings in that country or maybe in a Grand Cayman bank? Would you bring over an American contracter to put in decent a/c and heating? As a part-time resident would you qualify for health care in that country? Or would you be better off using your fortune in American doctors' offices and hospitals? Is there anyway to get AMerican TV programming on the television (like through satellite)? Is high speed internet available everywhere?

Hurry up with your answers. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to "invest" a dollar in buying a lottery ticket!

If you give me the perfect spot and I win, I'll buy you a beer.
Aug 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM

With cheap airfares everywhere, I'd choose ireland. Especially as I could then afford to concentrate on my art, and they have tax exemptions for artists

I would rather live in a place where I didn't have to learn a new language. And Ireland is one of my favorite places
Aug 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
ira

Hi Z,

if you won the PB lottery, you would take home about $84 million.

Why restrict yourself to just one home in Europe?

I would have an apt in Paris, a small house in Tuscany, another in the Perigord, another in the Salzkammergut, another in Jutland and another in southern Spain.

I expect I would pay about $9 million for the collection.

I would also need a few places in the US.

IIRC, after Onassis married JO, she made him keep all 14 houses open year round, in case she wanted to visit.

Aug 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Sorry, Zeus, but I'M going to win the $141 million, so you'll have to keep on dreaming.

Aug 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM

If I win 141 Million - the last thing I'm ever going to worry about again is taxes.

I would buy a home in the southwest of Ireland. I would also get a place somewhere in the Caribbean. I'd pick up a couple of apartments in other places, too
Aug 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Being crazy, I've thought about this, too. I like hotels so much and can't really afford nice ones, that I think I would have an apartment in Paris and stay in hotels in other places. I would want an apartment in New York, too. I would probably get my major health care in the US, but I'm certainly not worried about health care in Paris. I am so relieved to have my mind made up on this. ;-)
Aug 8th, 2007, 01:22 PM

I'd like a place in Northern Italy - probably on one of the lakes, and a place in Oslo, on the Bygdoy peninsula.
And maybe a house overlooking Sennen/Whitesand Bay in Cornwall.

I don't see the point of having anywhere further afield as the flight would be too long/too expensive to make regular use of it......though I was tempted by Acapulco Bay in 'A Place in the Sun'. Why doesn't that look right? How's it spelt?!
Aug 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I just would travel a lot..no house other than mine. I probably wouldn't be on the same place time enough to need a house.
Aug 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Zeus, I agree with the idea of Bertschegaden but I didn't know about the German taxes. How's Austria? That's only about 10 miles from B'gaden. Of course with that kind of money you could buy one of Ludwig's old castles and live in that.
Aug 8th, 2007, 03:57 PM

I'd keep my house in France but buy an apartment in Croatia, which is what I'm thinking of doing anyway....though winning the lottery would sure help!

Oh, and I think I'd splurge on a small flat in London as well. And maybe a place on the southern coast of Turkey. And a villa in Agadir or Essouaira. I can SO see myself playing "musical houses" when I retire
Aug 9th, 2007, 04:40 AM

No, nothing in London. I would have my base as where I am now (northern Florida, it's not a bad place in the winter!) but would have a summer place in Ireland. Southwest sounds perfect, though I was quite taken by the Dingle Peninsula, and the County Clare area.

I would be traveling around as well. I think a month in each continent would be a start, and then go back and visit the little nooks and crannies on the second go-round.