Search

Help me plan 2 weeks in Italy!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2023, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me plan 2 weeks in Italy!

Hello Travel Squad,
I've got 2 weeks that I'd like to spend with my wife in Italy, this coming October (~2nd-15th). We've already been to: Rome, Florence, Siena, Sicily. So those are off the list.

Some other things to consider: looking for a combination of art, history, walking in lots of towns and cities, good food and wine, some relaxation by the sea or a lake, and maybe some hiking. We prefer taking trains, but can rent a car if necessary.

So what do y'all think? Do we go north or south? How much can we squeeze in Northern Italy? Help me build this itinerary!

Old Apr 27th, 2023, 04:50 PM

Was in the north, Genoa, Torino, Milan and Bologna in November and LOVED Bologna and Torino and Bergamo. I do bus/train visits to little towns within an hour of my major cities and they are usually the best part of my trips.

Am planning southern Italy now going back to Naples and then heading south. Lots to see but nothing really intriguing, off the charts, but at my age and with 72 countries under my belt and bucket list done, am just traveling to enjoy myself at a slower pace. I recommend heading north.

Had a fabulous apt on VE11 in Torino, an old lighthouse apt at the port in Genoa, and a old place in Bologna close to walking the everything.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I might look at the Bologna, Parma, Ravenna, Venice, Padova, Ferrara zone. Great train links, great food, great museums and both sea and river beaches.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 11:37 PM

Venice is definitely nice to visit regardless of how the city smells at low tide. It's quite a quirky city to explore and you'll probably find the cheapest Spritz in any of the bars because it was invented there. Definitely recommend.

I enjoyed Florence (the Duomo is absolutely beautiful up close) but I probably wouldn't return, so do with that what you will.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on how late in October you're planning to go. Towards the end of the month days will be getting shorter and the weather may well not be suitable for sightseeing. In any case, the weather will be better the further south you go, so look at the Amalfi coast area or Puglia.

Last edited by Rubicund; Apr 28th, 2023 at 12:35 AM.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In October days will be getting shorter and the weather may well not be suitable for sightseeing. In any case, the weather will be better the further south you go, so look at the Amalfi coast area or Puglia.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish weather was predictable. We do most of our travel in mid-to-late October. We've been absolutely drenched in Naples and had wonderful, blue-sky days in the Dolomites...the same week in October on different trips. I say go where you want to go, hope for great weather but take the clothing/accessories you think you might need. Unless you're spending all of your time in tiny towns, you can buy almost anything you need.

At that time of year, I'd look at the Piemonte and/or Emilia Romagna regions, esp. for food and wine. You have big city and small town options in both areas, and you'd be close enough for time at one of the northern lakes if that's a high priority. Piemonte would be easier/better with a car, but I think you could have a great itinerary in the ER by train. The lakes are generally well accessed by train.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
I wish weather was predictable. We do most of our travel in mid-to-late October. We've been absolutely drenched in Naples and had wonderful, blue-sky days in the Dolomites...the same week in October on different trips. I say go where you want to go, hope for great weather but take the clothing/accessories you think you might need. Unless you're spending all of your time in tiny towns, you can buy almost anything you need.

At that time of year, I'd look at the Piemonte and/or Emilia Romagna regions, esp. for food and wine. You have big city and small town options in both areas, and you'd be close enough for time at one of the northern lakes if that's a high priority. Piemonte would be easier/better with a car, but I think you could have a great itinerary in the ER by train. The lakes are generally well accessed by train.

I think you would get many more, and more detailed answers, if you narrow things down a bit. "Should we go north or south?" is kind of a broad question...I've probably been to the south 20 times and have not scratched the surface. With only 2 weeks, I would choose 2 regions (vaguely) and see those rather than scurrying around.

You've been to Florence. Have you seen Tuscany outside that city, and Siena? Umbria? What about combo of Venice and Bologna?

Do you want off the beaten track, or tourist trail?

How long did you spend in Rome and what did you enjoy there?

Don't mean to clobber you with questions..it's only to get a better sense of your travel style. Food/wine important? Elegant dining? Local fare? Any food you prefer to sample in particular? (Shellfish, etc)

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 28th, 2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 08:20 PM

In July 2017 I went to Florence, Naples, and Rome. The archaeology museum in Naples occupied me for about 5 hours including random breaks. Pompeii occupied me for most of a day. I had time in an evening to walk partly around the bay of Naples on a pedestrianized street. I didn't make time for Venice or any part of Northern Italy. Maybe see what Fodors, Lonely Planet, and/or the Rough Guide to Italy suggest seeing in Turin, Milan, Verona, and/or Venice. Check whether the 24 square mile micro country of San Marino is worth traveling to. Also the archaeology museum in Bolzano in South-Tyrol has the remains of Otsi the Iceman. South Tyrol is supposed to have a lot of German speakers even though it is part of Italy.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean, this is fantastic thank you! Emilia Romagna region definitely sounds enticing, and looks reasonably easy to navigate via train. How many days do you think are necessary to get a taste of the ER region? Building off a a suggested Fodor's itinerary, I am thinking of something like: Venice, Vincenza/Verona/Padua, one of the northern lakes, Milan, and Emilia Romanga. Is that too much to squeeze into 2 weeks?

Alternatively, what is Cinque Terre like in early October? It's always been a dream to go there, but not sure I can squeeze it in with everything else I've already listed. Would be curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
I think you would get many more, and more detailed answers, if you narrow things down a bit. "Should we go north or south?" is kind of a broad question...I've probably been to the south 20 times and have not scratched the surface. With only 2 weeks, I would choose 2 regions (vaguely) and see those rather than scurrying around.

You've been to Florence. Have you seen Tuscany outside that city, and Siena? Umbria? What about combo of Venice and Bologna?

Do you want off the beaten track, or tourist trail?

How long did you spend in Rome and what did you enjoy there?

Don't mean to clobber you with questions..it's only to get a better sense of your travel style. Food/wine important? Elegant dining? Local fare? Any food you prefer to sample in particular? (Shellfish, etc)
All good questions. We want a combo of touristy and off-the-beaten path. Food/wine is indeed quite important, local fair, not necessary the fanciest places, just sampling local cuisines. Pasta, seafood, wine, markets with bread, fruit, and vegetables, are all great. Also interested in art, history, lots of walking in cities, and perhaps some easy hikes.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 07:55 PM

You liked the idea of Emilia Romagna, but none of the destinations you named are in ER. Unless your style is to travel at a fast pace, the named destinations could nearly fill your two weeks with no significant opportunities to reach off-the-beaten-path places. Don't forget you need to spend the last night in or near your departure city.

Milan feels like an outlier if you hoped to spend ANY time in ER. The CT even more so.

Where in the ER did you hope to go??
Old May 1st, 2023, 01:02 AM

Italy in October

Hi,
We usually go to southern Italy in September as generally the weather is warmer than the North (not always the case though) If you haven't been I would reccomend Sorrento as a base. From there you can do Naples,Vesuvius,Pompeii,Herculanum (which I prefer to Pompeii) Also a trip down the Amalfi coast with plent of places to stop at and if time a must is Paestum which was a major ancient Greek city on the coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Hope you have a great time.
Seahatch.
Old May 1st, 2023, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

You liked the idea of Emilia Romagna, but none of the destinations you named are in ER. Unless your style is to travel at a fast pace, the named destinations could nearly fill your two weeks with no significant opportunities to reach off-the-beaten-path places. Don't forget you need to spend the last night in or near your departure city.

Milan feels like an outlier if you hoped to spend ANY time in ER. The CT even more so.

Where in the ER did you hope to go??
Sorry for the confusion -- I wasn't listing those places in order of arrival/departure, just gathering an overall list. For ER region, I don't know how many stops we can fit in -- Bologna, Parma, Modena, Ferrara, Ravenna all sound appealing. I'm sure I'll need to narrow these down.
Old May 1st, 2023, 08:24 PM

I'd drop Lake Garda, partly because I prefer the lake's north end which would take too long for you to reach and return.

You need to figure out which airport(s) you will fly into and out of. If you could fly into Venice and out of Bologna (or the reverse), that would give you a little flexibility in your itinerary. If you need to fly in and out of Venice, you should consider heading to Bologna after Venice and then working your way back, spending the last night in Padova. OR, depending on your arrival time, head to Bologna immediately on landing at VCE and then put your Veneto/Venice days at the end of the trip.

Figure out what you want to see in the towns and how many hours or days you want to spend in each. Write up a general sightseeing plan for each day, note how long the train rides between points are, decide what towns you'll visit as a day trip and which ones you want to spend more than a day in. You'll want to get timed entry tickets in advance to see the mosaics in Ravenna and some things in Venice.

You said food and wine was "quite important." I think if you do some research on ER, you'll want to spend more than half of your time in that region.
Old May 8th, 2023, 02:26 PM

Goodness. What a dilemma! Autumn in Italy can be lovely, but it is also the end of the season for many places, so I would be more tempted to do cities/towns. If flying into Milan, you could go Bergamo 2 nights, Verona 2 nights, Venice 5 nights (stop in Padua on route), Bologna 3 nights and back to Milan.
Whilst you are in Venice visit Treviso and do a Prosecco wine tasting at one of the vineyards.