Reload this Page >

help me pick an amalfi coast destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 08:07 AM
carol

I am going to Italy in late June/early July. I plan to stay 3 nights in Florence, 3 nights in Siena, 3 nights in Venice and 3 nights in an Amalfi coat town. We will be arriving from Venice. Where should I stay? We want sun & fun. Sorrento? Positano? Or any other suggestions?

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 09:48 AM
Patrick

Have spent time in Sorrento, Positano, and Capri, making day trips to most other areas of the Amalfi coast. My choice for three days of sun and fun would be Capri. It is often ignored as being too touristy, but that comment usually comes from the day trippers. It is wonderful at night after the day trippers leave and all converge on Amalfi or Sorrento, and there is plenty to do on the island all day -- a lift trip up the mountain and hike down. Boat trips around the island, walking to a secluded lagoon somewhere, etc. None of the Amalfi area has what I'd call great beaches, but the sun is glorious -- and you are smart to go in late June rather than late July or August.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 02:20 AM
john

Sorrento was interesting but full of English tourists. Capri is beautiful, but overrun with day trippers. positano and Amalfi are slightly less crowded. Be aware many of the hotels are small and dont have swimming pools. Its a beautiful destination.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 07:16 AM
Clay

<BR>Carol: <BR> <BR>My wife and I spent a couple of weeks last June on the amalfi coast. Our 3 (weekdays) on Capri were our favorites. We stayed at the Punta Tragara hotel. Splurge, and get a suite on one of the top floors (room 27 ?) for an unforgetable experience. Capri is probably good for 3 or 4 days max. I think Sorento is also probably the better choice for the best stratigic base on the coast. Do get a car, and don't worry about driving. From Sorento you can visit the entire coast in nice day trips. We went south some days and north others. <BR>Have a wonderful time and write if you have any questions.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 11:10 AM
howard

We stayed at the Covo dei Saraceni, right on the water in Positano. Beautiful hotel, beautiful site...and we were there off season in November! It was a great thrill when we arrived, got to our room, opened the shutters and there before our eyes was this magnificent (and well known) view of the hillside "covered" with homes!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Jill

My husband and I went exactly the same time last year and stayed at the Poseidon in Positano. We loved the town because the roads are too small to get tour buses in (unlike Sorrento). We also loved our day trip to Ravello (high up on the cliffs) - a charming town with unbelievable pottery. <BR> <BR>We like Capri (so much in fact that my husband wanted to cancel the Rome portion of our trip and stay at the Quisisana) but we would have missed the Amalfi Coast, as Capri is really a trip in itself. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!