8 hour layover Madrid or London

Jan 12th, 2000, 07:52 PM
Maxine

8 hour layover Madrid or London

On leaving Malaga we have two choices
1. fly Spainair to madrid, arriving 10am in the morning and reporting back to the airport at 4.30 pm for connecting flight to London
2. Fly to Gatwick arriving 11.25am take speed link to Heathrow to store our bags in the lockers then catch Tube/train into London, reporting back time at Heathrow is 8.45pm. Which should we pick?????

Jan 13th, 2000, 01:57 PM
maxine

come on guys, travel agent is steering us towards Madrid as thinks we will have enough time to look around the inner city-yes-no?.I am thinking London could be easier for a quick flit into inner city. OR SHOULD WE NOT VENTURE ANYWHERE AND STAY AT THE AIRPORT.

Jan 13th, 2000, 08:01 PM
Marta Speer

Go to London.Madrid has become one of the top 10 cities for theft and tourists are being affected in growing numbers.

Jan 17th, 2000, 01:39 PM
Peggy

I would go to Madrid and just be careful about your purse etc. Go visit the Prado Museum. The weather will be
much better and so will the shopping. You really would have time to do a half day tour of the city. I just returned from London and it is very expensive and cold.

Jan 17th, 2000, 09:37 PM
susan

Prado is very easy from airport. Ask at tourist/information desk for details. Anyway, a bus runs about every half hour from airport to a plaza (I believe it's Plaza Colon) and from there it's a straight walk of a few blocks to Prado. And bus runs back to airport about every half hour. (The "about" doesn't mean "maybe". It means I don't remember if it's every 15 or 30 minutes.)
If you are worried about theft, lock practically everything in locker at airport, and put rest in a calf or waist bag under clothes.
It's an easy trip: I made it even though I had not slept on flight from Atlanta and had miles to go before I got ot Jerez de la Frontera. AND I had to explain--in really horrid Spanish-to security guards in airport that there was a cat in the ceiling above ladies room.

Jan 19th, 2000, 01:44 PM
J

Easy choice- If you like to pay double for everything you buy & enjoy the rain...go to London. Old town Madrid, on the other hand is amazing. You can see most of the old city in a half day, the weather is nicer, the prices are lower, the city squares/parks are breathtaking. As for crime, avoid flinging your purse around and singing "I'm a tourist .. and my purse is full!" and you'll be fine. Use the same precautions you would if you were walking down 5th Ave in NYC or strolling along 3rd street in Los Angeles and you'll have a GREAT time.

Search this Thread