Help me pick a destination!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to travel by myself to either Spain or Germany/Belgium (and maybe Switzerland) for 9 days at the end of March.

So far, I've found open jaw tix from LAX and into Barcelona, out of Madrid for $624. I've also found open jaw tix from LAX into Berlin and out of Brussels for $524. (Are these good prices??)

Which trip would you recommend for a single female? Which location is safer/more entertaining/has better food? And even though the tix to Germany/Belgium are cheaper than Spain, which place is cheaper to travel around in? (including lodging, food, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Do you care about weather?
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I guess so. I don't mind cold/rainy weather once in awhile, but it'd be a bummer if it rained EVERY DAY.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM

It rains a lot in Belgium.

Personally, I prefer the food, drink, safety, ambience and entertainment in Antwerp and Berlin to that of Barcelona, but the weather will be colder and most likely damper.

That said, for the end of March, there are no guarantees anywhere in Europe. You could get 9 solid days of rain in Barcelona and none in Germany.

I wouldn't go to Switzerland at that time of year, and given your stated interests and cost factors.

As for cost, if you do good research, you can always keep your costs to what you can afford. In general, I would be concerned about trading safety for affordability in Barcelona.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:50 PM

I think if I were on my own I would prefer Germany and Belgium to Spain based on the safety issue. We have always found very reasonably priced lodging at bed and breakfasts in Germany. Our stay in Barcelona was pricier. The food in Belgium is fabulous! DH says that it has the highest rate of restaurants per capita (not sure if this is true, but it seems true!). My favorite cities are Gent and Antwerp. We are Americans living in Leuven which is just outside of Brussels. In my opinion, Leuven would also make a great base. It's a lively student town with lots of great architecture and a 15 minute direct train ride to the airport. Weather can be hit or miss.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the input so far. Maybe I should reconsider going to Spain.... Do you think 9 days in Germany and Belgium is sufficient?

Another option is the UK - London, Ireland, and perhaps Scotland. What do you all think of that?
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM

To me, to really enjoy Ireland, you need to rent a car. If you're okay with that on your own, then London and Ireland would be a good trip as well. I haven't been to Scotland since I was a teenager, so I don't have any input there. I'm not sure about the weather in March. I've absolutely loved our trips to Ireland though and have another trip to London this month to take advantage of the weaker pound, though it is still by no stretch of the imagination a cheap place to go!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM

With only 9 days you couldnt do London, Ireland, and Scotland. London deserves at least 5 days, and then you could do maybe one other location. Or do all 9 days driving around Ireland or Scotland.

In March, rain is highly likely in the UK, Ireland. Or you could get lucky and get none.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:38 AM

Are you restricted to those pairs of cities you mentioned?

If not, I would combine Berlin and Barcelona - especially when the "82" in your nickname denotes your year of birth.

IMO, Berlin still is one of the less expensive Central/Western European capitals re. hotel costs.
Prices for food can vary a lot - you can economize or not since there will be a huge variety to choose from.

Weather.. well, needless to repeat that end of March is not a season with stable or foreseeable weather conditions.

From a very broad perspective, Berlin is dryer than Brussels or London. Barcelona should be warmer than all others.
On the other hand, last year I spent 3 days in cool and rainy Madrid before going to Ireland for a week where I encountered only 2 showers in 7 days but lots of sunshine.