Help me pick a destination!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, bear with me I know this is a broad question but this forum has the smartest people in travel so I'd love your suggestions!

I got a $2000 grant from school to travel anywhere abroad during the summer. Catch is I want to bring my daughter, so I need somewhere I can swing for $1000 pp. My mom may also tag along and help with our airfare, so $2000 for lodging, transport, food, etc. So is it possible? Where should I go?

I'd like to pick somewhere she hasn't been which leaves out uberexpensive UK, Italy, Ireland and Paris.

We're def. budget travellors
Any suggestions on cheap but fabulous destinations?
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
yk

A couple of questions:

1) What about airfare? Are you paying the airfare out of your own pocket or is that part of the grant?

2) How many days are you planning to go?

IF the $2000 includes airfare, and assume you're from the US, that pretty much eats up your whole budget for 2 people as summer airfares US-Europe have been running close to $1000pp.

Lastly, I don't consider Italy to be "uberexpensive".
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

My moms going to pay airfare so I have $2000 for everything else. I was referring to the UK being so expensive, but I guess I wasn't entirely clear, sorry
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Since the grant is from school, is there anything that you need to do or share? Mexico has great deals during the summer months in packages, as does the Caribbean.

Sound too hot? Consider Canadian destinations.

Not far enough away? I've seen great deals to Asia when they are purchased in a package with airfare and hotel. (I just pulled up Bangkok for a week, including airfare from the midwest -- not even a hub -- for $1,379 air & hotel including breakfast, for example. That would fit into your overall budget, since you didn't include airfare and on the ground expenses are cheap there.)
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
yk

Again, how long is your trip gonna be? It's a huge different between $1000pp for 5 days vs $1000pp for 20 days.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

It's gonna be whatever I can afford. I have no plan, which I know is vague. I'm looking for suggestions for places that are cheaper as far as food, local transportation, etc. Probably a week or less
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
yk

Probably not the most exciting destination, but I find Germany to be of good value. If you stick with smaller towns, you can get food/lodging for rather cheap.

If you take a look at artstuff's trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35116484

Many of the Pensions she stayed at (breakfast included) are <€100/night and many of her meals were ~€20 for 2 including beer.

I went to Germany myself in April 2007. I also found it to be quite affordable.

If you stay in one region of Germany, you can take advantage of the Lander tickets for transport which is €27 for 2-5 people traveling together per day.

So, hotel €100 + 2 meals at €50 total + €27 transport = $285 per day for 2 people. If you add in another $45 for admission fees, you'll be spending $330/day for 2.

Your $2000 will last 6 full days, which is equivalent to 1 week including traveling time.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:18 PM

How about Paris??

One of our Administrative Assistants is going to Paris with her husband and child late June. She rented an apartment in the 4th at €85/night for a week and will buy a Carte Orange for 1 week covering zones 1-2 for €16.30/person. They will be able to cook dinner in the apartment and buy breakfast from one of the patisseries lining up the street near their apartment. If you do as they did, in terms of $, the apartment will be ~$900 + $75 for 3 Carte Orange and you have ~$1000 (or € 650) more to spend on food, museums + other sundries.

Good Luck!
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
nessa_L

If you want to go cheaper, go east.
Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Croatia... I wouldn't go to Paris for a "cheap destination".
I doubt you can do more than a week and a half on a 1000$.
How old is your daughter? If she's under 11 or 12, she'll get at least half-price in all the attractions. If she's under 5, she might get in free in a few places.
Summer is the most expensive time to travel. Make sure the dates you choose do not conflict with European holidays because prices might go even higher during those weekends.
I would pick one or two cities and take a few day trips. The more distance you travel, the more money it'll cost you on transportation fees which can be quite expensive.
Make sure you plan properly because you wouldn't want to run out of money in the middle of your vacation. Sometimes, expenses just keep piling up without even realizing it.
I would maybe look for Croatia... It has probably the nicest beaches in Europe and is still pretty cheap. The airfare might be a little higher than to London or Germany though.
I hope this helps!
Keep us updated.

Old May 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM

from Ness_L:

<i>I wouldn't go to Paris for a &quot;cheap destination&quot;</i>

Why not? Have you done it? We have! For a lot less than $2,000 (excluding airfare)and we did NOT stay in hostels. We were even able to do a day trip to Versailles.

So don't discount Paris. And believe me, going to Croatia, even using discount airlines from London, would eat up half of her budget of $2,000 on airfare alone for 3!
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM

Greece. Ancient, wonderful, fun, lovely people, great food, and not dear
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM

Go to Turkey! It is fabulous, cheap,great food, more ruins than Italy or Greece, best service and hospitality on the planet.

It is easy to do on your own, use the buses like the locals...very fancy with TV's and plane like service.

Go to Turkey planner for ideas but don't miss Istanbul ( 2 days), Ephesus and Capaddoica.

Americans tend to be afraid of Turkey, but it is more luxurious than much of Europe and only costs about 20 to 30 dollars a night for a really nice room. Turquoise coast is gorgeous too and cheap in lovely places like Kas or stay in a tree house in Olympia.

Swim with ruins in the same pool that Cleopatra did in Pumukkale. Don't miss near by Aphrodisias.

Croatia would be my second choice, but you will have to work harder at finding bargains.

Look at our blog archives for ideas of what has worked well for us:

http://www.soultravelers3.com

We have been traveling Europe as a family for almost two years living large on little, and always name the places we stay and have lots of pics.

Have fun!
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
yk

Since you're going during summer, I'd be leary going to Greece or even Croatia as it can be very hot &amp; crowded.

I can think of 2 more destinations you can go that should work with your budget:

1) Belgium. Spend 3days/nights in Bruges, 1 day/night in Ghent, and 2 days/nights in Brussels (w/day trip to Antwerp). You should be able to find hotels for less than &euro;100/night (including breakfast) in these towns/cities. Brussels hotels are expensive, but if you time your visit to Brussels during the weekend, hotel rates can be 50% off on weekends vs weekdays. I booked a nice hotel in Brussels (just off Grand Place) for &euro;65/n including breakfast for a weekend in Sept. Train travel in Belgium is relatively economical as well.

2) Spend 1 week in Amsterdam, rent an apt. There's enough to do in Amsterdam for 4-5 days, then do 1-2 daytrips to Haarlem or Delft etc.
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
nessa_L

Dionysius -
I did go to Paris more than once and always stayed with family to cut the cost. Even still, I always find Paris to be a really expensive, at least for my taste. If I'm paying to go to Europe, I want to go to museums and attractions and eat out most of the time. Cheap food is ok to find in Paris but cheap attractions are always non-existent, compared to other big cities in Europe. I agree with Turkey though. I know many people who went and had an amazing time. Don't be scared of it.

Old May 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Prague
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:43 AM

Greece, Croatia or Turkey in the summer - hot as hell , crowded and the airfare is higher than flying to more western parts of Europe.!

If you are considering Europe $2000 dollars is about 1300 euros.

Renting an apt. will save you a lot of money ( have breakfast at home, cook a few dinners,
etc.) but it is still extremely tight budget for 3 people. You may be best to look for some kind of all inclusive package.

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:18 AM

My question is how do you get a grant for $2000 to travel abroad for the summer? Sign me up!
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

So we're going to Italy! I found a package 2 nights in Milan, 3 nights in Lake Como and then another night in Milan airfare, hotel and train for $1400 pp. Since my mom's graciously said she's pay for airfare it fits nicely within my budget. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!