Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me choose the most comfortable flight to Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM
annieladd

Assuming all prices to be about the same, which one would you choose, based upon time in air, connecting city, and comfort of plane (economy). For me, comfort wins out, when all else is the same. I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but please let me know your thoughts. annieladd

AA- KC to CDG 14 hrs. CDG to KC 14 hrs. Thru O'Hare. Airplane- 763

NW- KC to CDG 15 hrs. CDG to KC 14 hrs. Thru Wayne Co. Airplane- Airbus Ind. A330-300

CO- KC to CDG 13 hrs. CDG to KC 13 hrs. Thru- Newark Airplane- 777

CO- KC to CDG 14 hrs. CDG to KC 15 hrs. Thru Newark. Airline- 762 to Paris 777
from Paris.

US Airways - KC to CDG 14 hrs. CDG to KC 14 hrs. Thru- Phil. Airplane- Airbus A330-300

There is also a Delta but it is a bit more, let me know if it's worth it.

Thanks as always, signed, hot and humid in KC, annieladd

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If being in bankruptcy court and still having labor trouble with the flight attendants don't bother you, then NW's planes are the newest and most comfortable. Transiting through Detroit is also pretty easy.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
annieladd

Yikes I didn't think about those things... Should I chance it?

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM

I would -- but that's just me. I've flown NWA three times to Europe and once to Asia this year without incident. Do you collect FF miles and qualify for elite status? That would be a factor in the decision on a long haul to me.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM
annieladd

No, no FF, we only travel out of the country every other year.

Any other thoughts? I'm hoping to book this tomorrow morning.

Thanks, annieladd

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM

If other factors are a toss-up, I'd check to see if the aircraft is a 747. Toward the rear you will find two-across seats on the sides. These two-across seats leave loads of room between them and the bulkheads. Plus they are close to the toilets.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM

i was curious about this too and checked www.seatguru.com. They list the planes used by each airlines and what the services are. To me, if I have a choice, I would take the ones that have the personal video rather than the overhead screens. I liked having the option of which movie to watch. Not sure if that is important to you or not. The Airbus 330 looks like it has it and so do the Continental flights. Have a fun trip!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM

The personal video is nice but be aware that in the Airbus, each row of seats will have a box of the video's electronics that will compromise the seatholder's footroom.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Don't overlook the FF aspect. Roundtrip MCI-CDG is over 10K miles. Get a airline credit card for about $75-85, and most give you 15K bonus. That's a domestic roundtrip (worth $300 or more these days) right there.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM

BTW, let me say this. Don't worry about comfort. Difference is minor here, unless you have very long legs and legroom becomes an issue. [If that's the case, then you need to address that and seek out alternative airlines.]

Otherwise, I'd think about schedule and time first, if you don't care about FF miles and prices are similar. Case is that of the flights you listed, CO's 777 is probably the least comfortable, but it's still quite tolerable for most people for US-Europe. [Hey, I fly them on 15-hour trip to HK and they're fine too.]

In short, there's not that much difference between comfort level. Really. If you need individual screen, then don't take AA. If you really really care about movie choice and needs the pause function and to start a movie at any time, then take NW or US.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM
annieladd

Thanks everyone.

FF- Dad is picking up the cost of these tickets, so he'll be getting the FF on his American Card.

Seatguru- Thanks for this info CLS. We like 2 across, and it looks like the CO 777s are min. of 3 across in economy.

Personal Video- Doesn't mean much to me, but DH would probably like it. That leaves out AA.

So, if I take out AA and CO, then that leaves me with NW and US Airways, both with the A330-300. I'll check the hours of both of those, and see what's best.

Let me know if any of you have any other thoughts. Thanks annieladd (still hot and humid in KC, it's not even 9 am, and already 85 w/ 70% humidity!)

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:45 AM

The reason I say NW over US, <b>IF</b> you don't care about the bankruptcy are these:

1. DTW is easier than PHL for transit, especially for your return trip.

2. NW is a partner with Air France; if something happens to your return flight, for example, it's easier for them to reschedule you on a AF/KL/CO flight than US can.

As for the FF miles, your dad is only picking up a few miles, based on the ticket dollar amount. This is not the flight miles each of you flying will be getting, which is about 9,000 miles for person roundtrip.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:23 AM

...so you should open a 'freq flyer' account with whichever airline you end up using; you might be able to do something with those 9,000 miles later on (upgrade, free magazines , something...)
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:53 AM
annieladd

Rkkwan, those seats will recline won't they? (44ab)annieladd

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:18 AM

44AB/KL have full recline. Since nobody's behind you, you can recline the whole time and nobody will kick your seat back.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM

IIRC the seat pitch (distance between rows) is pretty tight on NW. Use www.seatguru.com to compare seating plans.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I would stay away from the B-777s. I have flown that particular aircraft with 2 different airlines and they were both very tight on leg room. I am about 6 feet tall and was forced to sit with my knees separated the whole time unless I put my feet in the aisle.

Of the ones you list, the Airbus probably is the best bet, but the 760s are usually tolerable IF you can sit on the sides where the seating is 2 abreast. In the middle I recall that seating is 3 abreast.

I am assuming that your seat mate is someone you know and that if you stretch out and cross legs or something, nothing unusual will result.